Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climbing Huangshan in March 2011

Default Re: Climbing Huangshan in March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTony View Post
    The bus ride back was fine.. No complaints. They had I think 2 toilet stops and a sort of 15min quick meal stop too.

The bus driver was not speeding or driving recklessly as far as i remember.
    If that is the case, i'll go for Option C. BEST!

Will read and find out more before deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by berriess View Post

I'm greedy. I want snow capped Huangshan + sea of clouds! But as long as there's sea of clouds, i'm a happy camper already. Will keep my fingers crossed!
    Be careful what you wish for, because you may just get it ! There are two "sea of clouds". so you should plan to spend one night at a hotel near each of them. The receptionist will be able to tell you what time to get up. It is best to recce the route from your hotel to the respective viewing terrace the day before. This way you don't have to fumble in the dark walking to the terrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    Be careful what you wish for, because you may just get it ! There are two "sea of clouds". so you should plan to spend one night at a hotel near each of them. The receptionist will be able to tell you what time to get up. It is best to recce the route from your hotel to the respective viewing terrace the day before. This way you don't have to fumble in the dark walking to the terrace.
    Thanks for the tips!!

I will do just that.

Blog Entries

You might want to read the advice and links to maps I posted.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558019
    Most of the info are in the first and last page.

Also here:
    http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2009/...shan-trip.html

It is much easier to take the bus from shanghai sightseeing center. The bus sends you into Tangkou direct (5.5 hours), the town at the foot of huangshan. You still need to take another bus (RMB 13/pax) to the cable car stations (there are 2 major ones, front and back mountain), where you can take the cable car, or where you start hiking. You need to buy your Huangshan entry tickets there. Also, note that the bus from Shanghai will drop you off at a restaurant in Tangkou. They seem to have a relationship with the bus.

If you take train, you will get off in TunXi city. From TunXi you need to take the mini bus to Tangkou town (around 1.5 hours). From Tankou you still need to take the bus to cable car station. You can take a private car or taxi from Tangkou to cable car station (and vice versa). Make sure you ask them if they have the permit to enter the protected area. Only local cars and blue taxis can enter the area. It will cost you 60 RMB each way (market rate).

And do remember to book your hotel rooms on the Mountain way in advance... they get very very packed. And the prices of the hotels on the mountain is all the same, as they are all owned by the same company. Just select the hotel by location, that is a best fit for your planned route. Food and water up in the mountain is very very expensive, because everything is hand carried up.

One final word of advice - If going up by the back mountain, take the cable car up, not much to see. Only the front mountain you will see more if you take a miss on the cable car. And pack a sweater. It gets really cold up at the top. Even in Summer, the temp at the peak was around 6-7 deg C. And in winter, you better be packing some artic type clothing.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 18th December 2010 at 09:23 AM.

Blog Entries

And also... you can hang out at Hong Chun or Jade Valley the first half day.

I stayed at a backpacker's inn. Got to know them well, and used their nephew's driving service. Cheap and good. This inn is also very trustworthy as they came highly recommended by local Chinese backpackers. We even left out bigger packs with them while touring other scenic areas. Most people just go there stay a night, leave all the heavy stuff in their care, and go up the mountain, stay one night up in the mountain, down the next, and back to the backpacker's inn. And the inn provides you with free walking sticks (bamboo), as opposed to the exorbitant (and lousy) ones sold up in the mountains.

I took the over night train from Shanghai some years ago. Unless there is a new station at the bottom of the mountain, it will drop you off at Huangshan Town which is some 2 hours by minibus from Tunxi (the town at the mountain base). The short walk up the mountain is about 4 hours.

Early March will be cold. Stone steps when iced over can be dangerous.
    Tunxi(屯溪) is Huangshan Town or Huangshan Shi (黄山市). The much smaller town at the mountain base is called Tangkou (汤口).

Dear all,

I'm planning to climb Huangshan without the cable car.
    I climbed up HuangShan via the eastern route is which shorter than the western route.
    But the eastern route is not as scenic as the western route. It lacks the awesome geological scenery of the western steps which you can save for your descent.

Suggest you save your enerygy going by cable car via the eastern and descending via western route hiking. You don't miss much on the estern route up. Going up via climbing up western is very challenge !!

Quote Originally Posted by Abbot Man View Post
    Tunxi(屯溪) is Huangshan Town or Huangshan Shi (黄山市). The much smaller town at the mountain base is called Tangkou (汤口).
    I stand corrected. Memories fade with time.

Thank you daredevil for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Abbot Man View Post
    I climbed up HuangShan via the eastern route is which shorter than the western route.
    But the eastern route is not as scenic as the western route. It lacks the awesome geological scenery of the western steps which you can save for your descent.

Suggest you save your enerygy going by cable car via the eastern and descending via western route hiking. You don't miss much on the estern route up. Going up via climbing up western is very challenge !!
    Hmm.. perhaps i should just take the cable car up then. Save the energy for Xihai Canyon and descend via Western route. Thank you!

The trip is just next week! I wonder if it is snowing up there at Huangshan now.

Anyway, our only Chinese-able reader and speaker (my half bucket full Chinese not counted) can't make it at the very last minute!

So yes, this trip would just be 2 very kantang girls (cannot speak or read a word of Chinese) and me - the only one who can speak broken Putonghua.

Now i'm worried.

Nevertheless, it should be quite fun! After all, it's the companions that count right?

Go and enjoy yourself. There is little to worry about vis a vis language as the place is tourist friendly and you are bound to meet enough people to help you get by. After a few days, your huayu will kick in.

*phew*

Definitely good to know that especially when some of you mentioned that it is advisable to travel with someone who can read Chinese!

Got back last night from China!

I must say, it is relatively easy to travel in Shanghai, Hangzhou and Huangshan even though we can't read Chinese. Luckily, the locals can understand me (broken Chinese!) and vice versa. Haha!

Huangshan is absolutely breathtaking. On the first day we were up there, it snowed!! Yes, in spring.. It snowed in spring! Soooooooooooooooo beautiful!!! Pity that the West Grand Canyon was closed but we managed to go to all other look out points though.

Thanks for all the help rendered here. Appreciate it!
    Last edited by maameemoomoo; 22nd March 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Got back last night from China!

I must say, it is relatively easy to travel in Shanghai, Hangzhou and Huangshan even though we can't read Chinese. Luckily, the locals can understand me and vice versa. Haha!

Huangshan is absolutely breathtaking. On the first day we were up there, it snowed!! Yes, in spring.. It snowed in spring! Soooooooooooooooo beautiful!!! Pity that the West Grand Canyon was closed but we managed to go to all other look out points though.

Thanks for all the help rendered here. Appreciate it!
    Glad to see you enjoyed yourself. You did not miss much by not going down to the canyon as all the other scenic spots have been covered by you. Show some pictures.

Glad to see you enjoyed yourself. You did not miss much by not going down to the canyon as all the other scenic spots have been covered by you. Show some pictures.
    Yeah, that's the only consolation i have but i must say, it's worth it.. to exchange the West Grand Canyon for snow!

Photos here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12