Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A dream too big!

Default Re: A dream too big!

To be frank, originally I was figuring of getting the 550D and the 60D but decided to get the 60D due to the fact is a new camera (the feel is good). Like most ppl will say (sorry if I offend someone), most of the time is the person pressing the shutter button to get impressive shots. Also the cam dont really a part IMO, lens is doing most of the job. My friend who does photography for almost 6 years is still using his 500D (enrty level) but his skills is marvellous. So is not a matter whether what cams to get but rather get something which will bring U happiness when U hold it and shoot. Anyway good luck to your new cam purchase and do join the outings.

Blog Entries

Dare to dream. But dream of getting good in photography, not solely about which camera to own. And dreams can come true only when you work at it.

Instead of going into any Camera A versus Camera B discussion, let me share with you what some here may have already advised.

There are 2 schools of thought for people buying their 1st DSLR. Either go big, or start small. And both have their reasons.

Starting Big:
    Argument: If you buy your 7D, yes, you may not be fully utilising it in the beginning but, with time and practice, you'll get to know it and use it better. As you get better, the 7D will be there waiting for you. This reduces the chances of any "future investments that you may otherwise have needed to put in if you had bought an entry-level DSLR and found it lacking after learning more.

Starting Small:
    Argument: If you are new, you will need time to learn about photography and how to go about it. As your skills are still developing, an entry-level DSLR would suffice. When you get better at it and know better what exactly you need, you'd be in a much better position to know what to buy. Also, if you later realise that photography isn't really your thing (for whatever reason), you wouldn't have spent that much on the entry-level DSLR, so you minimise your risk exposure.

Both have their reasonings and both do have some pluses. It's up to you now to decide which fits your situation better. If you're 100% sure that photography is something you'll definitely be doing for a while, the 7D may be good. But, at the same time, if you realise later that a full-frame better suits you, you may still need to invest in an FF model (again, only with time and understanding will you truly understand if this is true).

Most importantly, have fun! Cos even the learning process is a journey of discovery and enlightenment. Remember: The equipment is dead. It's the user who is the variable.

Quote Originally Posted by dckk84 View Post
    Hi guys, wonder if getting a 7D is a dream too big for a newcomer to DSLR? I do not have the capabilities and skills to take good pictures. With the reviews I got from the net, I came to realise that 60D is not worthy of the price tag it is carrying and I am at the cross road on whether to save even more money for 7D or settle with the disappointing 60D. Do give me your opinions and comments about what steps and how I should go about. Thanks for all the help fellow clubsnappers
    can you tell me how you think the 7d will work better for you over the 60d?

have you even used the 60d? are you sure moving upwards is the way to go? how about downwards, entry level?

what are you buying the camera for? to take pictures, or to tell people that your camera is worth it?

i say - pictures make the camera worth it, not what other people say. and most cameras in the market today are more than capable of making great pictures given the right set of skills, the right effort to compose and the right effort to get great light.

if you feel 60d is not value for money, then some people here (including me) view canon (as a brand) as not value for money...
    Last edited by night86mare; 9th December 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dckk84 View Post
    Hi Chili,

I got the impression that 7D is better than 60D mainly on the specs like the 100% viewfinder, the faster fps, the lens micro, and the better feel that major reviews have mentioned. Originally, I had 60D in mind as the 1st camera that I will be purchasing, but after the bad reviews started surfacing up, I do have many doubts. In my case, I am actually willing to spend another couple of months to save for the 7D if it is really true that it is much better than 60D and actually worthy of it's hefty price tag.

I saw many forum members saying that they will not buy the 60D and a poll was acutally done. My judgment is that, 60D is actually ok, but not much of an upgrade as compared to the predecessor "50D". Which makes selection of the ideal camera for me even tougher. Hence I decided to post a thread and ask help from brothers and sisters put here to guide me.

Thanks to all the tips and guidances!
    obviously 7d will be better than 60d.

it costs more. canon would not want to make a 60d as good as a 7d, else it would end up cannibalising its own profits.

people upgrading from 550d, for whatever reason, may choose to go to 7d. frankly speaking, how many people need that much fps? i have 6 fps on my camera when i take one photo every 30 seconds usually. the 100% vf is nice, of course, but that is not to say that <100% vf is not usable.

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    Personally, since you already had the intention to save up more to get a 7D, I think go ahead. Getting a 7D over a 60D cannot be wrong.
    for newcomers, some of them find the more complicated controls of a more advanced camera a put-off.

of course, that's more for entry level versus prosumer.

nonetheless, the 7d definitely has more features - the question is whether you, as a hobbyist, would really use all those features.

i used to use a prosumer level dslr (k20d) for nearly 3+ years. i recently switched back to entry level. a lot of people view this as a downgrade, despite the fact that technology has moved forward so much since 3 years ago.

there are good (and valid) reasons to stick to the lower end of the spectrum. one of them is weight, for example. and for my purposes, all the controls that make changing settings faster are not that applicable, because i think for very long before i make a shot.

No dream is too big, since it is only a dream.

Just remember to come back to reality when you wake up from your dream.

Since you yourself knew that it is the skill that matter (which is the reality), you should decide whether should you continue to dream.

Maybe I should be less critical to myself, spend more time by just look inside my dry cabi, and dream away.
    Last edited by Leong23; 9th December 2010 at 02:31 PM.

With the correct skill and equipment is like 如虎添翅.

如猪添翅 don't sound so impressive right?
    Last edited by Leong23; 9th December 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Another reason i'd advise against the 7D is the weight. Even if you could tell yourself "i don't mind bringing the camera around everywhere as long as it takes good pictures", chances are it won't happen. It has happened to many.

Another reason why the 7D should NOT be the first on your list is that you won't fully appreciate its features. You have never used an entry level, thus the IQ, FPS, 100% viewfinder are features that you start out with, and even then you may not be satisfied because you do not have anything to compare to. And eventually, you'll find other ways to convince yourself you need a better camera. Start out small, get a 550D if you really want to go the Canon route.

There are actually other equally good brands - Nikon, Sony, Pentax - and they can perform equally well if used correctly. Dont take the plunge too early. Its not like a TV - where getting a bigger, more expensive one, is usually better and is easily appreciated from its color rendition/clarity/ bla bla bla. Unfortunately in the DSLR world, its better to take one step at a time. Start from the basics and work your way up. From there at least you know what you really need and work toward it. Getting a 7D and 24-70 lens for a beginner will only deter you more than encouraging you to learn.

With the correct attitude in learning, experimenting, and enthusiasm, any camera will do. heck especialy if you got the disposable income

Ryan

Given a budget of around $2000 for the body and one lens, I was torn between the Canon 550D and 60D. The former received sparkling reviews for being a superb entry-level DSLR, and I was on the verge of buying it when Canon launched the new 60D with a swivel LCD screen and more direct control features. I read many reviews for both cameras but decided to visit the Canon showroom at Vivo City to try the cameras.

I ended up choosing the 60D despite the package exceeding my budget slightly. Why? Despite its additional weight, it fits my hand better. The 550D is too small for my long fingers and tends to put them in an awkward grip. I can't imagine holding the 550D all day long.

So in the end, no matter what the technical specs say, the "feel" and ergonomics matter the most. An uncomfortable camera is one which you won't like holding and eventually won't want to bring. Then it becomes a white elephant.

May I also ask what's wrong with the 60D or the entry-level 550D? At our beginner level, we will be hard pressed to notice the difference. The sturdier construction of the 7D and its pro features are handy, but they probably won't mean a thing to beginners except more weight and higher price tag. Personally I don't believe in paying for features I won't use. Sure, you can "future-proof", but you can always buy a 8D (when it launches eventually) when you outgrow the 550D or 60D. By then the 7D would be cheaper, so the overall cost work out to be the same.

Don't forget that good lenses cost quite a lot. A good body is at most 1/3 of the equation. Lens and photographer himself matter too.
    Last edited by rhema83; 9th December 2010 at 11:40 PM.

I have used 550D, 60D and 7D. This is my take:

I started off with the 550D. It is a marvellous camera. I learnt through this camera, the different aspects of photography. After a few months, I started to look around for a change of camera. Reason because after shooting for a few months, I felt that the size is really too small for me and I sometimes can feel that my hands are not steady due to the extreme light weight. In addition, because I am mostly taking picture of my kids, I needed a slightly higher FPS.

At that point, 60D was just launched. After reading about the tonnes of negative reviews, I totally ignored it as an option. I borrowed my friend's 7D to try out on a few occasions. It is only at this point that I realised that the 7D is not my cup of tea. Other than the better grip and higher FPS, I find all other functions too complicated for me. I only shoot for leisure and as a hobby. Many people mentioned that the 19 cross type AF is excellent, but that to me is the most hated part, because I don't seem to be able to use this function to the best of it's ability. In addition, the smaller LCD screen is not to my liking also.

Ended up, I went to Canon showroom one day, lifted up the 60D in my hand, and I have not look back since. I term it as a "VALUE FOR MONEY" camera, which has all the functions of the 550D, but with better grip, articulating LCD is a very nice function too, because ever since, I am able to take my pictures in different perspective. Lastly and most importantly, the pictures produced are just wonderful.

After using the 60D for 1 month, I came to realise that most people who complain that 60D no good actually never use this camera, and just rely on the specs and online reviews, which is a joke (By the way, there's a website that review the 18-135 lens as an excellent lens ) To TS, you need to understand that these people have probably been using the semi-pro or pro series camera for a while, so the 60D may not be suited. But for someone who is just starting out, I assure you that you will be "rubbishing" all the reviews and online critics after your very first outing with the camera.

With the price difference of around $800 now (60D is $1400, 7D is $2200), you can always use it on a good piece of lens, such as the 17-55 f2.8 or 15-85 f3.5-5.6.

Just my thoughts.

i dun get it, what to dream about, u hve the budget for it just buy it it's not like u're dreaming a 1Ds mark III + the L lens, XD series got longer cycle replacement than the XXXD or XXD series which usually got new model every 1-2 years, 60D is a good camera but 7D is a notch ahead of it, budget wise i better off with getting 2nd hand or grey unit of 40D/50D + good lens and flash but that's me
    Last edited by willdoang; 10th December 2010 at 08:09 PM.
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

try out the camera, if u like it and fits ur budget, get it : ) there are lots of considerations to getting a cam, nv ending also lol. sometimes the more u think, the more headache u have. so if it fits ur budget comfortably, i guess u can get it and use it : )

have fun!

Hi to all,

Now with so much advice given, I can really trust that 60D is indeed not a bad camera and I will certainly take that into consideration. I will take a look at both 60D and 7D at the canon showroom tomorrow and then I can decide which is more suitable for me. Thanks for all the advice and happy weekend people!!

I believe that for a beginner a very critical factor to consider is the weight of a DSLR+lens vs a Pns.
    I have seen beginner buying DSLR and then gave up after realising the weight difference!
    Think Carefully about it TS.
    Mine full name-Betta Macrostoma
    Can call me Betta.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12