Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 3 days Phuket trip

  1. #1
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default 3 days Phuket trip

    Going to Phuket for 3 days next week and 1st time travelling with my DSLR... wonder should I bring all my gears (60D+18-55IS+50F1.8II+tripod) or just the 60D with kit lens... also dunno what to do or shoot there... cos planned this mths back... just a weekend getaway...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    I was there earlier this year and I mostly (95% of the time) used my 17-55mm eventhough I did brought the 50mm. If you just want to relax and photography is sencondary, just bring your 60D+18-55.

    As for tripod, it maybe useful if you need to use it and maybe a burden if you dont use it.
    For me tripod was not essential during my trip as I do not want to be burden by extra gear.
    Maybe you could state the activities or places you visiting and I can help advice.
    Last edited by fitzy; 8th December 2010 at 11:49 AM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Frankly speaking Phuket IMO dont have muich scenes to take except forests (was there last year ard Aug).. for me I would just bring my kit lens + macro lenses w/o tripod. Is too troublesome. Have a pleasant trip. Do post pics.

  4. #4
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Quote Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
    I was there earlier this year and I mostly (95% of the time) used my 17-55mm eventhough I did brought the 50mm. If you just want to relax and photography is sencondary, just bring your 60D+18-55.

    As for tripod, it maybe useful if you need to use it and maybe a burden if you dont use it.
    For me tripod was not essential during my trip as I do not want to be burden by extra gear.
    Maybe you could state the activities or places you visiting and I can help advice.
    Only planned to stay in resort and also go island hopping to Pipi Island (hope I spelt it right)... no others plans...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

  5. #5
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Quote Originally Posted by tan280 View Post
    Frankly speaking Phuket IMO dont have muich scenes to take except forests (was there last year ard Aug).. for me I would just bring my kit lens + macro lenses w/o tripod. Is too troublesome. Have a pleasant trip. Do post pics.
    I also thinking likely will be just my kit lens... tripod confirm not bringing... only the macro still considering...
    Last edited by ant0800; 8th December 2010 at 05:34 PM.
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

  6. #6

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ant0800 View Post
    Only planned to stay in resort and also go island hopping to Pipi Island (hope I spelt it right)... no others plans...
    If you intend to go Phi Phi Island, then most probably you will snorkel.
    There are 2 types of craft to Phi Phi, speedboat (which is expensive) or the fastcraft.
    I opt for the fastcraft as it is cheaper but took 2hrs to Phi Phi Island.
    The fastcraft will stop over at Maya Bay for abt an hour for you to snorkel before heading to Phi Phi Island. The scenery is simply breath taking, a photo opportunity not to be missed.
    If you intend to snorkel, just make sure there is some one looking after it.

    At Phi Phi, you can walk around to shoot. I hope it helps.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Quote Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
    If you intend to go Phi Phi Island, then most probably you will snorkel.
    There are 2 types of craft to Phi Phi, speedboat (which is expensive) or the fastcraft.
    I opt for the fastcraft as it is cheaper but took 2hrs to Phi Phi Island.
    The fastcraft will stop over at Maya Bay for abt an hour for you to snorkel before heading to Phi Phi Island. The scenery is simply breath taking, a photo opportunity not to be missed.
    If you intend to snorkel, just make sure there is some one looking after it.

    At Phi Phi, you can walk around to shoot. I hope it helps.
    sorry but to OT abit... irony isnt it, Fastcraft which turns out to be the slower one... haha!

  8. #8
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Quote Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
    If you intend to go Phi Phi Island, then most probably you will snorkel.
    There are 2 types of craft to Phi Phi, speedboat (which is expensive) or the fastcraft.
    I opt for the fastcraft as it is cheaper but took 2hrs to Phi Phi Island.
    The fastcraft will stop over at Maya Bay for abt an hour for you to snorkel before heading to Phi Phi Island. The scenery is simply breath taking, a photo opportunity not to be missed.
    If you intend to snorkel, just make sure there is some one looking after it.

    At Phi Phi, you can walk around to shoot. I hope it helps.
    Thanks for the advice... hope to catch some great looking shots... although often I have been shooting using 'auto' and when use 'av'... the output often looks worst than my PNS...

    Hope can get a few great looking shots for CC soon...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

  9. #9

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    there are at least 9 other phuket threads if you care to search.
    Here is the latest one.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ghlight=phuket
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  10. #10

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    sorry but to OT abit... irony isnt it, Fastcraft which turns out to be the slower one... haha!
    Its like the ferry going to Tekong, SAF call it fastcraft so i used the term to describe it , indeed it is slow.
    Last edited by fitzy; 8th December 2010 at 09:41 PM.

  11. #11
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    there are at least 9 other phuket threads if you care to search.
    Here is the latest one.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ghlight=phuket
    yup... I seen those b4 posting... hehe... just wanted more comments and also which of my gears to bring...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

  12. #12

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ant0800 View Post
    yup... I seen those b4 posting... hehe... just wanted more comments and also which of my gears to bring...
    What are the thing you can take in phuket will probably influence what lens and equipment to bring. Afaik, the beaches, places where the day trip boat bring, the coral are mostly leeched and dead. Water is still clear though, still can see fishes if you bring bread. What I can think for places to take photos are the beaches and the touristy area like patong. Maybe you can find more...
    Last edited by coolthought; 9th December 2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  13. #13

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Hi

    Was there in March this year.

    Beaches will be your main places to visit. try island hopping:

    1) James Bond island

    2) Feed the fishes in the beaches.

    3) Massage, must try
    4) There is a big shopping mall in the heart of town
    5) Night markets, pubs, night life at Patong beach.

    Better also to bring along a P&S compact as your DSLR may get wet during the boat rides.
    Hope this helps & have a good trip.
    Cheers
    RC

  14. #14
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    Thank you all who provided valuable infomation that contributed to the great weekend getaway I had... will post some photos for comments soon.. (give me time as lots of holidays coming up...)
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

  15. #15

    Default Re: 3 days Phuket trip

    If you got a circular polarizer, bring it along... It's never wrong to bring it along when you're island hopping
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •