Thread: I need a tripod, but I do not know what to get.

Default I need a tripod, but I do not know what to get.

Some of you may remember me posting a thread yesterday. I own a D5000 with an 18-200mm lens. My old tripod cannot sustain the weight anymore, and now I think I want a good one with a quick release and a ballhead, but my budget is at around $200.

Thanks to those of you who gave suggestions in my other thread.

I plan to go to some shop to ask the people there about those, and if they got other recommendations.

Which shop should I go to? I'm afraid if I go ask this kind of questions they will sure know I'm noob and I'm afraid of getting overcharged. Any suggestions?

Default Re: I need a tripod, but I do not know what to get.

Try this link
    and make a trip to TK photo, OP and CP.
    Last edited by coolthought; 8th December 2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Shops you can consider:

K-13 - Peninsula Plaza
    Cathay Photo - Peninsula Plaza
    TK Photo - Funan Centre
    Orient Photo - Sim Lim Square
    MS Color - AMK
    Benro - Peninsula Shopping Centre

If you are afraid that they will assume you are a newbie by asking too many basic questions, then have no fear. These shops are pretty OK, IMHO.

They will rather you ask as many questions as possible to get the right tripod than to sell you a tripod that doesn't meet your requirements.

HTH.
    Last edited by dingaroo; 8th December 2010 at 10:38 AM.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Try this link
    and make a trip to TK photo, OP and CP.
    I bought my from TK photo..willing to listen to you and recommend.. many model to try..

My advice is you're better of going to TK to try it out. The salemen there will better help you with your needs... tell them you do not wanna blow the budget, but get them to recommend the best suitable tripod for your current set up, without going for the best and most expensive. I was served by Philip (edited, remembered wrong name), who'd would take all trouble to explain to you the vibration control of the CF tripods, etc, etc. Open your ears and patience to listen to what they have to say. After their recommendation, deploy the tripod and fit your set and see if it suits your height / eye level, etc. If not suitable go for the second next best model.

Be prepared to fork out $300 plus at most for the better models (based on your current needs).
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 8th December 2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

After a couple days of reading up here and on other sites, I spent a couple of hours on Monday visiting a few stores (artworkfoto, k-13, cathay photo, sgcamerastore, the camera corner, benphoto & tk foto), checking out tripods (from fotopro, weifeng, manfrotto, horus bennu, benro and sirui) and narrowed down to a few models. Came back, read up more and I've decided on Sirui (from tk foto).

FYI, I found the folk at most of the stores very helpful and willing to take time to point out pluses/minuses of one tripod vs another. So don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck with the tripod hunt.

I had myself a Sirui Tripod TX1004. Really very stable .. i think i gt it for $160. If you wan u can consider that =)

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    My advice is you're better of going to TK to try it out. The salemen there will better help you with your needs... tell them you do not wanna blow the budget, but get them to recommend the best suitable tripod for your current set up, without going for the best and most expensive. I was served by Francis, who'd would take all trouble to explain to you the vibration control of the CF tripods, etc, etc. Open your ears and patience to listen to what they have to say. After their recommendation, deploy the tripod and fit your set and see if it suits your height / eye level, etc. If not suitable go for the second next best model.

Be prepared to fork out $300 plus at most for the better models (based on your current needs).
    I agree with going down to TK to try it out. It will be easier for you to decide when you can try them hands on.

Check TK facebook for Sirui tripod package.
    http://www.facebook.com/tkfoto?v=app_6009294086
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by antarcticwind View Post
    Some of you may remember me posting a thread yesterday. I own a D5000 with an 18-200mm lens. My old tripod cannot sustain the weight anymore, and now I think I want a good one with a quick release and a ballhead, but my budget is at around $200.

Thanks to those of you who gave suggestions in my other thread.

I plan to go to some shop to ask the people there about those, and if they got other recommendations.

Which shop should I go to? I'm afraid if I go ask this kind of questions they will sure know I'm noob and I'm afraid of getting overcharged. Any suggestions?
    Manfrotto at CP or Sirui at TK.

If you are considering Sirui tripods, here is the link for all sirui products specs

http://www.zssirui.com/en/products.h...roName=T-1004X

this link also list what cameras can be use with their tripods.

cheers