Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens protection.

Default Lens protection.

Hi Guys!

I just bought a canon 60d with 18-200mm lens. I noticed the lens and camera when they hook together, there's ring metal of the lens. And I have sweaty palm. I worry it will get rusty very soon

Is there anything that hook around lens when it hook to the camera body for the sweaty palm.

Also what is it call?

Btw, I already bought a filter, Hoya HRT CIR-PL UV. Is it enough for a newbie?

thanks!

Default Re: Lens protection.

Quote Originally Posted by knockyPole View Post
    As long as you know what it is for .. it might be good enough. If not it's time to learn.
    As for the other metal ring .. I believe your manual has a page describing all components and parts of your camera.
    Last edited by Octarine; 7th December 2010 at 02:31 AM.
    EOS

Welcome to CS...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

just wipe it after shooting, if you have sweaty palms. prolly won't rust so easily?

The metal ring where the lens and camera body 'hook' together is called a mount. Usually made of high quality material and won't easily rust with normal use.

aiya dont worry lah i also got sweaty palms (and its quite jialak) but i never bother using any protection

my d60 use for almost 2 years havent spoil yet

neither have my 18-55 kit lens mount rusted yet

Hi Guys!

I just bought a canon 60d with 18-200mm lens. I noticed the lens and camera when they hook together, there's ring metal of the lens. And I have sweaty palm. I worry it will get rusty very soon

Is there anything that hook around lens when it hook to the camera body for the sweaty palm.

Also what is it call?

thanks!
    Just give your gear a good wipe after very shoot and it should fine and you don't usually touch the mount so its ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchanjj View Post
    aiya dont worry lah i also got sweaty palms (and its quite jialak) but i never bother using any protection

my d60 use for almost 2 years havent spoil yet

neither have my 18-55 kit lens mount rusted yet
    The 18-55 kit lens has a plastic mount right? How to rust?

Blog Entries

The mount is made with stainless steel. I hope you realize that stainless steel do not rust.

If you really have serious sweaty palms, you may want to consider wearing gloves? May sound odd, but did come across people wearing.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

thanks!
    Make sure you understand what a CIR-PL is used for, and that it is not an "everyday" filter.
    Alpha

Hi Guys!

Also what is it call?

thanks!
    hi guys!

i bought a cheap $29 casio watch nearly a year ago. i noticed that the entire watch is metal, except for the watch face surface, which is glass. i wear it when exercising, i wear it when shooting, so it is exposed to saltwater, i worry that it will get rusty very soon.

somehow, even up till now, i don't see it rusting. will it rust soon?

thanks!

Hi Guys!

Also what is it call?

thanks!
    Havent heard of a rusty lens. Probably you shall clean up gears after use. Or maybe you wanna try gaffer tape if you know how to do it?

Btw how did you end up buying the CPL filter? Did you buy it yourself or was it recommended by the sales rep? I would suggest you purchase a UV filter, keep the CPL filter and find out what's the CPL filter for.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    Havent heard of a rusty lens. Probably you shall clean up gears after use. Or maybe you wanna try gaffer tape if you know how to do it?

Btw how did you end up buying the CPL filter? Did you buy it yourself or was it recommended by the sales rep? I would suggest you purchase a UV filter, keep the CPL filter and find out what's the CPL filter for.

I went to look for filter was looking for either hoya hmc UV filter and the UV-pl-cir filter same time then shop assistant said HRT it's the latest version so i just bought the CIR-PL + UV 2 in one filter. I was thinking i buy it 1st so if i wanna shoot outdoor and indoor i don't have to buy extra filter?
    Or it doesn't really work that way? even if it's UV coated if I use the CIR-PL in indoor, the results will be bad?

I don't know how to use the gaffer tape

thanks for the advices!

Blog Entries

I went to look for filter was looking for either hoya hmc UV filter and the UV-pl-cir filter same time then shop assistant said HRT it's the latest version so i just bought the CIR-PL + UV 2 in one filter. I was thinking i buy it 1st so if i wanna shoot outdoor and indoor i don't have to buy extra filter?
    Or it doesn't really work that way? even if it's UV coated if I use the CIR-PL in indoor, the results will be bad?

thanks for the advices!
    You do not leave a CPL filter on your lens all the time. By doing so you are effectively reducing your camera's low light capability. CPL is the type of filter that you put on only when you need it. But that is me. Maybe you find some weird thrill from having a CPL on your lens all the time...

BTW, normal CPL reduces the light coming into the camera by 1.5 to 2 stops. HRT is claimed to be higher transmission, which probably means you lose around 1 stop. This means, if you are shooting indoors, to get the same shutter speed and aperture, you need to increase your ISO by 1 stop... meaning without your CPL,. when ISO800 is enough... with the CPL on you will need to bump it to ISO1600 for the same exposure... Buy camera with good high ISO performance, only to handicap that performance with a CPL infront of the lens all the time. So you decide... is it a good thing or not?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 7th December 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Welcome to CS . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Is that an automatic reflex? "2 in 1" - must be good, Must Buy? Sorry to disappoint you, but if you have no clue what each of the filters (CPL, UV) really does then both are wasted money.
    Learn how and then to use the CPL, forget about this UV thingy. UV is irrelevant for DSLR.
    EOS

i hve a sweaty palm(quite severe) so i use a fingerless glove to cover my right hand that i use to hold the grip, i just feel rubber and sweat doesn't go well in long term
    UV filter is mainly for protection only and the brand that u mention is quite good too, u're redy and set to shoot already
    Last edited by willdoang; 8th December 2010 at 12:04 AM.
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

Maybe TS filter is new technology?? Transition glass
    Will clear up when enter indoors..
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

thanks for the advices!
    daredevil123 provided you with a very good explanation on the usage of CPL filters. They are meant to reduce light entering the camera. You can get a UV filter to protect your lens and only replace it with the CPL filter when needed. Gaffer tapes are useful. You can google "gaffer tapes" and see how people tape up their cameras and lenses for protection.

As a general thumb of rule in the world of DSLR, each hardware/equipment serves specific purpose. When an equipment or a hardware serves multiple purposes, usually you gain convenience but you sure lose something else. So it's important to find out what is it that you are losing and are you willing to compromise before you make any purchase.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    daredevil123 provided you with a very good explanation on the usage of CPL filters. They are meant to reduce light entering the camera.
    No, too imprecise. ND / GND are meant to simple reduce all incoming light. CPL is selective.
    CPL filters are meant to cut off lights which do not belong to a certain polarization level. As a result, the light of defined polarization level passing the filter will give a certain image. This gives the possibility to select those parts of incoming light that form the desired image. Examples: reflections in water or on glass that can be cut off or left in; vegetation appears differently; clouds appear more 3D like.
    EOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast