Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Which CRT for graphics editing?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    all around the world
    Posts
    507

    Default Which CRT for graphics editing?

    Hello guys,

    I was at the Epson Print Academy today. According to John, you ought to 'throw' your CRT away if it is more than 3 years old. Well, no sure how true it is but its definately a good excuse to get a new CRT. My old 19" CRT has been with me since yongs (I think about 7 years).

    So, do any of you guys have any recommendations to a good CRT monitor (19") ??

    Why do I ask such a question? I believe I came across several articles about CRT monitors having different contrasts, gamma etc etc.

    Thus I would like to know which is the 'best or better' one.

    Recommendations??

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    You buying a new one just because someone asked you to do so???

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    Kinda makes me feel a big pinch to discard my 21" Sony Trinitron , paid loads of $$$ when new.
    http://www.avianwatchasia.org for some real bird photos
    My website : http://www.gorgeousfeathers.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    CRTs do degrade after a long time. When I played with a Colorvision Spyder last year, mine was almost uncalibratable.

    If you have too much money, you can go for the Sony Artisan series of CRT monitors.
    http://displaysbysony.com/display/mo...p?pModelId=577

    End users don't really need to be that extravagant to change monitors every 3 years. Even if it's not 100% accurate, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

    Regards
    CK

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    all around the world
    Posts
    507

    Default

    ckiang, thanks for the recommendation loh But like you said...IF I am loaded. (USD$1,800.00 loh....) I might as well go get a normal CRT and buy the Syder Pro suite. Can even get a new printer :P

    But frankly, I am contemplating to get e ColourPlus.... start off small first.

    But the problem is... i am not loaded...so..i have to revert back to the conventional CRTs.

    Kit, I'm not buying one bcuz someone asked me to buy one. But I do believe age is catchin up with my current CRT. And I think its high time i get a new one.

    Harlequin-> 21"?!?! Thats HUGE.


    I think I'm ready to bring my digital photogrpahy to the next level liao

  6. #6

    Default

    calibration software like colorvision optical (dunno what the new name is) will show the amount of correction is has to do... if the amount of correction is significant thats a good indication whether theres a need to change the monitor

    All decent CRT monitors should be capable of 1:1000 contrast ratio. Mine is calibrated with a 1:840 contrast ratios primarily because i want a less bright white point.

    I don't like Aperture grille as i can always see the wires. i go for the NEC multisync. Best non-aperture grille CRTs around.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Anyway for those interested, there's a S$199 version of the Spyder at Cathay. Read about this in Photo-i. Dunno if they still got stock.

    erwinx, how did you get/set the contrast ratio?

    Regards
    CK

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    ckiang, thanks for the recommendation loh But like you said...IF I am loaded. (USD$1,800.00 loh....) I might as well go get a normal CRT and buy the Syder Pro suite. Can even get a new printer :P

    But frankly, I am contemplating to get e ColourPlus.... start off small first.

    But the problem is... i am not loaded...so..i have to revert back to the conventional CRTs.

    Kit, I'm not buying one bcuz someone asked me to buy one. But I do believe age is catchin up with my current CRT. And I think its high time i get a new one.

    Harlequin-> 21"?!?! Thats HUGE.


    I think I'm ready to bring my digital photogrpahy to the next level liao
    That's not huge man...i used to have 2 units of 24" CRT (running at 1920 x 1600) on my work desk before for more than 3 years. That was the good old days.
    http://www.avianwatchasia.org for some real bird photos
    My website : http://www.gorgeousfeathers.com

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    all around the world
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erwinx
    calibration software like colorvision optical (dunno what the new name is) will show the amount of correction is has to do... if the amount of correction is significant thats a good indication whether theres a need to change the monitor

    All decent CRT monitors should be capable of 1:1000 contrast ratio. Mine is calibrated with a 1:840 contrast ratios primarily because i want a less bright white point.

    I don't like Aperture grille as i can always see the wires. i go for the NEC multisync. Best non-aperture grille CRTs around.
    erm....pardon my ignorance what is aperture grille??

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    Anyway for those interested, there's a S$199 version of the Spyder at Cathay. Read about this in Photo-i. Dunno if they still got stock.

    erwinx, how did you get/set the contrast ratio?

    Regards
    CK
    Ckiang,

    OptiCAL will give you the post calibration black and white points in candelas per square metres. In my monitor's case, its 0.1 for black point and 84.0 for white. This gives a contrast ratio of 1:840.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •