Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie with a new hobby

Default Re: Newbie with a new hobby

Quote Originally Posted by nissanmanic View Post
    huh? "Don't listen to those 'special lenses'"? never heard anything of/from them. "increased the DOF so that you'll get bokeh"? to get de-focused backgrounds you decrease the DOF.

do you know that the S2050NB has a different focal length than the S1855SB? in terms of aperture, they are arguably similar, F3.5-5.6, just that one may be brighter than the other at a particular focal length. and no, i'm not a samsung user, all this can be found out by a search or just going to samsung's webpage.

the answer to your question about the iFn button, only available for iFn equipped lenses, is below:

for the hands on review of the Samsung NX100 by ed9119 click here

simon6z, for the purposes that you've mentioned, a simple/mid-range compact will do. If you were to "follow army go reservist", a compact is much much easier to take care and worry free than a bag with a dSLR body and lenses. how're you going to bring your dSLR outfield? you'll have to worry about rain protection. with a compact, you can slip the compact inside a zip-lock and shove it inside the field pack or SBO.

Do note that compacts are capable of good image quality as well, be it for landscapes, portraits etc.

hope this helps in correcting the misinformation. =) take your time and do proper research before committing.
    Well, when I looked throught the newspaper ad, they had 2 pics of the same subject. 1 is taken with the advertised camera and the other is taken using a X camera. The pic taken using the advertised camera had background blur, while the X brand pic dosen't, and the ad says that you can get dslr-like images using the advertised camera... So the only logical thing I can think of is that they widened the aperture of the lens, and integrated it in 1 package.

Quote Originally Posted by nissanmanic View Post
    huh? "Don't listen to those 'special lenses'"? never heard anything of/from them. "increased the DOF so that you'll get bokeh"? to get de-focused backgrounds you decrease the DOF.

do you know that the S2050NB has a different focal length than the S1855SB? in terms of aperture, they are arguably similar, F3.5-5.6, just that one may be brighter than the other at a particular focal length. and no, i'm not a samsung user, all this can be found out by a search or just going to samsung's webpage.

the answer to your question about the iFn button, only available for iFn equipped lenses, is below:

for the hands on review of the Samsung NX100 by ed9119 click here

simon6z, for the purposes that you've mentioned, a simple/mid-range compact will do. If you were to "follow army go reservist", a compact is much much easier to take care and worry free than a bag with a dSLR body and lenses. how're you going to bring your dSLR outfield? you'll have to worry about rain protection. with a compact, you can slip the compact inside a zip-lock and shove it inside the field pack or SBO.

Do note that compacts are capable of good image quality as well, be it for landscapes, portraits etc.

hope this helps in correcting the misinformation. =) take your time and do proper research before committing.
    Eerrmm I just rewind back to get another look at Panny G10. Budget was in range if no extra baggage of lens and I saw ebay got one shinx selling 700 almost the same as alan photo. Wonder if it is the same person?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Panasonic-g10...item56415dcf9c

Quote Originally Posted by arikyeo View Post
    Well, when I looked throught the newspaper ad, they had 2 pics of the same subject. 1 is taken with the advertised camera and the other is taken using a X camera. The pic taken using the advertised camera had background blur, while the X brand pic dosen't, and the ad says that you can get dslr-like images using the advertised camera... So the only logical thing I can think of is that they widened the aperture of the lens, and integrated it in 1 package.
    But samsung make the Lens incoporate as one like something new to fight sony NEX. I just feel Sammy is growing ridiculously fast lor. Make TV sell like siao AMOLED sell sell sell household products also sell handphone also sell and now camera. There's still some stick to what they do best

Hi, I am also new to photography. Of course I have taken many photographs using the standard compact cameras but didn't bother to make adjustment to things like ISO and so on. Most times, it is on auto but I would say the photographs taken are generally quite good.

I am also planning into more serious photography and looking into what to buy for a starter like me. In general, I am hearing we should look at either Nikon or Canon and lenses are important. I guess this is true for all products if you want support, the most sellable will have more support.

Is there any free talk or workshop conducted by members here? Hope to catch up with you guys one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Hi, I am also new to photography. Of course I have taken many photographs using the standard compact cameras but didn't bother to make adjustment to things like ISO and so on. Most times, it is on auto but I would say the photographs taken are generally quite good.

I am also planning into more serious photography and looking into what to buy for a starter like me. In general, I am hearing we should look at either Nikon or Canon and lenses are important. I guess this is true for all products if you want support, the most sellable will have more support.

Is there any free talk or workshop conducted by members here? Hope to catch up with you guys one day.
    Join the outing n molest their camera to see which one suits u best.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post

There is NO free lunch in this world...

Quote Originally Posted by crabball View Post
    Join the outing n molest their camera to see which one suits u best.
    Well already got old birds recommend some models but I still prefer compact, may sniff around on Sony NEX 3, Samsung NX100 and Panasonic G10.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123