Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

  1. #1

    Default Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Im considering to buy a macbook because ppl kept saying that, you can don't calibrate because the color display on its monitor is good enough. I just bought a new lenovo with its monitor and running Win7OS. And i do not know whether the color is good enough or not

    Because i do not want to buy additional calibration tool, can i trust that the mackbook pro's screen is good enough and displaying the colors closer to a calibrated screen already? If so, then im gonna buy.

    Another question is the screen of a iMac or a macbook pro is better in terms of a better monitor?

    Any experience guys out therE?
    Canon 40D|50mm|35mm|10-20mm|17-55mm|580 II

  2. #2
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Post Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Quote Originally Posted by limdj View Post
    Im considering to buy a macbook because ppl kept saying that, you can don't calibrate because the color display on its monitor is good enough. I just bought a new lenovo with its monitor and running Win7OS. And i do not know whether the color is good enough or not

    Because i do not want to buy additional calibration tool, can i trust that the mackbook pro's screen is good enough and displaying the colors closer to a calibrated screen already? If so, then im gonna buy.

    Another question is the screen of a iMac or a macbook pro is better in terms of a better monitor?

    Any experience guys out therE?
    You still need to calibrate the monitor whether you buy Lenovo or MacBook. You tend to calibrate less on a Apple cos the luminance and gamma drift less over time.

    MacBook is good right out of the box. The colours are sharper and brighter. But that's not what you want. You need consistency in your colours and a calibration tool is what you must have if you're serious about the images.

    BTW I use a iMac desktop and MacBook Pro.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  3. #3

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    If i'm not wrong the mbp is still an 6 bit monitor. so it's just like any other laptop monitor which use dithering, unlike imac or ips panel which is an 8 bit monitor

  4. #4
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Quote Originally Posted by cogliostro View Post
    If i'm not wrong the mbp is still an 6 bit monitor. so it's just like any other laptop monitor which use dithering, unlike imac or ips panel which is an 8 bit monitor
    Once you calibrate your monitor, whether its 6bit or 8bit doesn't matter anymore coz it looks about the same. Maybe + or - a few% but will be indistinguishable.

    When you're on a laptop, it's mostly for preview. More serious work is usually done on a desktop.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  5. #5

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Once you calibrate your monitor, whether its 6bit or 8bit doesn't matter anymore coz it looks about the same. Maybe + or - a few% but will be indistinguishable.

    When you're on a laptop, it's mostly for preview. More serious work is usually done on a desktop.
    well, 6 bit tn monitor have poor color consistency just by changing the viewing angle, so how could they still be the same with other 8 bit monitor, when the color itself is changing?

  6. #6
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Quote Originally Posted by cogliostro View Post
    well, 6 bit tn monitor have poor color consistency just by changing the viewing angle, so how could they still be the same with other 8 bit monitor, when the color itself is changing?
    Not sure leh but why do you not want to look straight ahead? Macbook pro is not 3D enabled so I'm not sure why you want to look at it sideways?

    Like I said laptop is mostly just for review and not for serious work. It was never meant to be. There are bound to have people disagreeing with my statement and that's ok. For me I look perpendicularly straight at it and the colour is consistent to me and that's what matters to me.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  7. #7

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Not sure leh but why do you not want to look straight ahead? Macbook pro is not 3D enabled so I'm not sure why you want to look at it sideways?

    Like I said laptop is mostly just for review and not for serious work. It was never meant to be. There are bound to have people disagreeing with my statement and that's ok. For me I look perpendicularly straight at it and the colour is consistent to me and that's what matters to me.
    it is not sideways, but the tilt angle of the laptop. anyway, ymmv and everyone have their own cup of coffee. glad it works for you.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    one important point of the macbook pro is that it is way too bright.

    my fiancee's photos always need to be brightened slightly before printing.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Laptop monitor is only good if you need to work onsite but not the most dependable.

    However, once you calibrate the screen and understand it's behaviour, it should be good but not great.

    Even with iMac, the monitor is not the best but reasonable.

    It will really depend on what you do and how critical is the color control.

    You can always output to external monitor such as Eizo or NEC for better color control when you are at home.

    Regards,

    Hart

  10. #10

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Brighten files before printing is not really due to a bright monitor but due to print being only reflective thus less light being sent to our eyes.
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

  11. #11

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Brighten files before printing is not really due to a bright monitor but due to print being only reflective thus less light being sent to our eyes.
    What you say has a good point, but only if your screen matches the print luminance and your monitor is being calibrated correctly.

    When a monitor is being calibrated correctly, there should be very minimal differences in exposure. What you see should translate to what you get.

    Some monitors are just incapable to be calibrated down to 80cd/m2 so brightness of print is affected.

    Regards,

    Hart

  12. #12

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    IPS screen on the macbook pro is very good. take a normal samsung lcd monitor and put it beside a macbook pro and the difference is very obvious. so unless lenovo or other brand laptop uses the same IPS screen then no fight.

    ipad and iphone4 has the same screen technology.
    Last edited by nex100; 14th December 2010 at 11:31 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Macbook pro's monitor screen good?

    Quote Originally Posted by nex100 View Post
    IPS screen on the macbook pro is very good. take a normal samsung lcd monitor and put it beside a macbook pro and the difference is very obvious. so unless lenovo or other brand laptop uses the same IPS screen then no fight.

    ipad and iphone4 has the same screen technology.
    since when did mbp have ips monitors? afaik apple only use ips on the imac and ipad.mbp, like any other 6 bit monitors use dithering to produce the color which is unavailable. dont know about iphone though. the only ips paneled laptop is the lenovo high end one, with built in colorimeter, tablet and 2 monitor.

    better get your fact straight first
    Last edited by cogliostro; 15th December 2010 at 01:28 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •