Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAM and resolution?

Default RAM and resolution?

Hi i opened up RAW files and try to save it using the option "save for web and devices" into jpeg. but it keeps saying the my scratch memory is not enough to perform this action. I did not do any editing yet. Im trying to save it in 6000x4000 pixel in resolution of 800 pixel /inch. Can this probolem be solved if i buy more RAM?

And also if i buy RAM, will the improvement improve alot for editing in photoshop?

In billboard size poster(hangs on wall of building), how big a file do you normally save as? whats the resolution? Any guidance?

Thanks thanks
    Canon 40D|50mm|35mm|10-20mm|17-55mm|580 II

Default Re: RAM and resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by limdj View Post
    Hi i opened up RAW files and try to save it using the option "save for web and devices" into jpeg. but it keeps saying the my scratch memory is not enough to perform this action. I did not do any editing yet. Im trying to save it in 6000x4000 pixel in resolution of 800 pixel /inch. Can this probolem be solved if i buy more RAM?

And also if i buy RAM, will the improvement improve alot for editing in photoshop?

In billboard size poster(hangs on wall of building), how big a file do you normally save as? whats the resolution? Any guidance?

Thanks thanks
    if i am not wrong, scratch memory not available = harddisk space insufficient..

i believe ur main c:\ or the drive that put the photo has very little harddisk space left.

oh? ok thanks, i thought upgrading the RAM will help, so its harddisk not enough memory.

But if i upgrade the RAM, will it helps alot in editing photoshop? as in the speed. Cos i edit in large formats. i have a 2GB x 2 now, thinking of going for 4GB x 2
    Canon 40D|50mm|35mm|10-20mm|17-55mm|580 II

oh? ok thanks, i thought upgrading the RAM will help, so its harddisk not enough memory.

But if i upgrade the RAM, will it helps alot in editing photoshop? as in the speed. Cos i edit in large formats. i have a 2GB x 2 now, thinking of going for 4GB x 2
    More RAM will help if you are on 64bit machine otherwise not really.

Resolution: resolution is irrelevant when saving a file. It comes only into play when you print
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

you need more harddisk space, you can redirect your scratch memory to another drive in photoshop, hit F1 for more details.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Im trying to save it in 6000x4000 pixel in resolution of 800 pixel /inch.
    Just curious ... why do you want 800 ppi?
    Last edited by Peano; 6th December 2010 at 08:56 AM.

Why on earth are you saving as 800 ppi?
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Ultra nano pixel screen

Anyway why on earth do you need to save the image as 800ppi?
    Last edited by wootsk; 6th December 2010 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peano View Post
    Just curious ... why do you want 800 ppi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Ultra nano pixel screen

Anyway why on earth do you need to save the image as 800ppi?
    I feel I like so flintstone, my computer screen only can display 72 ppi.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Why would you want to save for web/devices at such a high resolution? You can use the normal Save As...

My laptop was initially running on 1gb ram and 80gb harddisk. Always hang or super slow when I edit my pics with PS and lightroom. Last week I went to upgrade to 2gb ram and 320gb harddisk and now no problem with PS and lightroom anymore. Processing speed increased significantly. Not too expensive, $60 for 2 pieces of 1gb ram and $60 for 320gb harddisk. U can try upgrading urs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Inferno View Post
    Why would you want to save for web/devices at such a high resolution? You can use the normal Save As...
    I share the same thought, anyways if you want really high quality, I think you should consider some other lossless compression formats. I think you have a problem with low scratch disk space, you can specify a different drive or assign multiple drives as scratch disk in Photoshop. If you are thinking of increasing RAM (beyond 4Gb), you will benefit if you're using a 64bit OS. However, do remember to set the memory quota in Photoshop to utilize more of the RAM.

The DPI setting only affects the overall calculated image resolution when you resize, such that you divide width/height (in pixels) of the image by the DPI, you get the actual print size in inches. Unless the printer is capable printing physically in the same DPI setting (in both X and Y axis), its just going to interpolate.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

If you are running 64bit OS but using say 32bit Photoshop, effectively you are still running 32bits right?
    α Cameraman
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by blaz7 View Post
    If you are running 64bit OS but using say 32bit Photoshop, effectively you are still running 32bits right?
    When a 32 bit application runs under 64 bit windows (WOW64) and has the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag marked in its process header, it will be given access to full 4 GB. A 32 bit application will still be just able to use address pointers up to 4 Gb, but more ram will mean the OS can make use of the additional ram beyond 4Gb to perform other task instead of sharing.

This is some good reading reference if you don't mind getting more technical http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 8th December 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Then what is the difference between running 64bit Photoshop and 32bits Photoshop? Sometimes got to run 32bits as there are still many plugins that do not support 64 bits.
    α Cameraman
    flickr

Then what is the difference between running 64bit Photoshop and 32bits Photoshop? Sometimes got to run 32bits as there are still many plugins that do not support 64 bits.
    64-bit can use more RAM.

amount of ram used lor... 32bit got cap that's not hard to reach.

Personally, I'm on Windows 7 64 bits but I still run 32 bit Photoshop, mainly because of the reason you indicated. I have a system with 8Gb of RAM, 64 bit windows recognizes that. The physical RAM spaces are shared with other running process (kernel, services and applications), having more than 4Gb will mean that the 32 bit Photoshop can be allocated a full 4Gb physical memory without the need to share. Hope that answers your question.

The speed difference between 32-bit and 64-bit on my 16GB RAM Pc is quite noticeable, especially with the filesizes I work with.
    Alpha

Something interesting that I found on adobe's website, applicable to Photoshop CS4 and CS5

[Photoshop][ Windows ] [ Maximum amount of RAM that Photoshop can use ]
    [ 32-bit ] [ 32-bit ] [ 1.7 GB ]
    [ 32-bit ] [ 64-bit ] [ 3.2 GB ]
    [ 64-bit ] [ 64-bit ] [ as much RAM as you can fit into your computer ]
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 8th December 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast