Thread: Smoke of Death

Default Smoke of Death

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Composition, Exposure, PP.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    To show how smoking is in fact bad for health, considering the expression of the person when he took in the smoke.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken?
    Taken under the hot afternoon sun. Took numerous shots just to capture the smoke coming out of the cigarette.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    It was post-processed to bring out a better effect on expressing the 'smoke of death'. Together with the cigarette, smoke and the expression of the person, i'm happy i managed to produce an outcome.

Would appreciate your C&C in this picture. Thanks!

Default Re: Smoke of Death

Quote Originally Posted by burnicks View Post

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Composition, Exposure, PP.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    To show how smoking is in fact bad for health, considering the expression of the person when he took in the smoke.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken?
    Taken under the hot afternoon sun. Took numerous shots just to capture the smoke coming out of the cigarette.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    It was post-processed to bring out a better effect on expressing the 'smoke of death'. Together with the cigarette, smoke and the expression of the person, i'm happy i managed to produce an outcome.

Would appreciate your C&C in this picture. Thanks!
    Hi, thanks for sharing your photo.

I like the lighting but i think it doesnt really show that smoking is bad for health. Maybe his shadowy eyes tells abit but the message from the photo is not strong enough to tell viewers about d adverse effects of smoking...

Exposurewise i think it's close to perfection...

I am just a starter and hope to venture more into photography. Just a little opinion from mine. You are a potential photographer, keep it up!!!

My thoughts:

1. I like the color tone... can associate it with death.
    2. I don't find the subject is suitable for this shot, since he does not have strong facial features (eg, wrinkles) that portrays the ghastly effect of death. Perhaps an elderly folk would work better (though cliche)? A pity coz the harsh lighting would certainly accentuate any facial features.
    3. The subject's expression was not natural. He was trying 'too hard' to inhale... me think.
    4. The angle of capture does not work on highlighting the smoke. It requires a dark background for best effect.

Nonetheless, you have a decent pic, though it can be improved. Btw, how many sticks did he has to puff for this shot? Poor guy...

Blog Entries

huh. i thought it was telling me smoking is cool ~~

u shld had blacked and whited it and try and make it look like a funeral photo. now THAT. will get the idea of smoking is bad across.

I can clearly feel the guy is in troubling mood, stressed out and the concentration and intense effort to suck the smoke out of the last part of the cigarette shows that he is out of control and death is controlling him instead. I think this is a successful photo and title.

From afar, he looks like he's enjoying his smoke

But on closer inspection, he is not enjoying it... He looks like he's lost his sense of smell, trying to suck up every last bit of smell to *pleasure his brain*... Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by flyfox View Post
    Hi, thanks for sharing your photo.

I like the lighting but i think it doesnt really show that smoking is bad for health. Maybe his shadowy eyes tells abit but the message from the photo is not strong enough to tell viewers about d adverse effects of smoking...

Exposurewise i think it's close to perfection...

I am just a starter and hope to venture more into photography. Just a little opinion from mine. You are a potential photographer, keep it up!!!
    that's what i didn't fully manage to bring across. should work more on that. thanks (:

Quote Originally Posted by Lekech View Post
    My thoughts:

1. I like the color tone... can associate it with death.
    2. I don't find the subject is suitable for this shot, since he does not have strong facial features (eg, wrinkles) that portrays the ghastly effect of death. Perhaps an elderly folk would work better (though cliche)? A pity coz the harsh lighting would certainly accentuate any facial features.
    3. The subject's expression was not natural. He was trying 'too hard' to inhale... me think.
    4. The angle of capture does not work on highlighting the smoke. It requires a dark background for best effect.

Nonetheless, you have a decent pic, though it can be improved. Btw, how many sticks did he has to puff for this shot? Poor guy...
    actually it was more of a street/candid shot that i took. lucky enough to get such a shot. i was also tryin to better highlighting of the smoke but that was the best that i could achieve. and thanks for the C&C.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    huh. i thought it was telling me smoking is cool ~~

u shld had blacked and whited it and try and make it look like a funeral photo. now THAT. will get the idea of smoking is bad across.
    i'm sure it would have been. maybe a better PP would do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted888 View Post
    I can clearly feel the guy is in troubling mood, stressed out and the concentration and intense effort to suck the smoke out of the last part of the cigarette shows that he is out of control and death is controlling him instead. I think this is a successful photo and title.
    well thanks! but i'm sure it could have been done a lot better. well i guess keep on shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by arikyeo View Post
    From afar, he looks like he's enjoying his smoke

But on closer inspection, he is not enjoying it... He looks like he's lost his sense of smell, trying to suck up every last bit of smell to *pleasure his brain*... Good job!
    yea i was trying to bring out more on his expression. he may look like he's enjoying it, but sucking the smoke out of that cig makes him look like his in pain. especially with his eyes. and thanks for the C&C (:

looks like one of those "quit smoking" ads... but the expression on his face looks pained. but it does give me the feel that death will follow..i think it's due to his expression, lighting and the colors.