Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

  1. #1

    Default Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    Hi all forumers, i just started trying out long exposure and need some advice and comments on whether if there is anything wrong with my shots like under exposure and colour cast. I'm using a Hoya 400. I calculate the shutter speed by adding 9 stop to the reading that i got before i attach on the filter. I have post 2 set of shots, 1 without the filter, another with the filter for comparison.


    (Set 1) Without Filter. Iso 200, F11, 1/20s, maxtrix metering off the pier


    (Set 1) With Filter. Iso 200, F11, 25s, maxtrix metering off the pier







    (Set 2) Without Filter. Iso 200, F11, 1/3s, maxtrix metering off the stone


    (Set 2) With Filter. Iso 200, F11, 120s, maxtrix metering off the stone
    Last edited by Binzento; 5th December 2010 at 01:32 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    colour cast looks fine to me. However, both the pier and rocks looks a little underexposed to me for both the shots with and without filter.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    agreed with Coolthought, think you should try to slow down your shuttle speed . . .

    (ops, in manual mode and try it out again . . . )

    and your composition a bit out to me, try using the 1/3 rule etc . . . or move a little to see different compositions will help too . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binzento View Post
    Hi all forumers, i just started trying out long exposure and need some advice and comments on whether if there is anything wrong with my shots like under exposure and colour cast. I'm using a Hoya 400. I calculate the shutter speed by adding 9 stop to the reading that i got before i attach on the filter. I have post 2 set of shots, 1 without the filter, another with the filter for comparison.
    Your set #1 seems fairly close in terms of exposure. I'm ignoring colour casts, etc, which you do need to correct for. Are you shooting in RAW?
    The Hoya NDx400 is not exactly 9stops. It is, as the name suggests, 400 times...
    So to maintain same exposure, shutter speed should be multipled by 400. For example Set 1-1 was 1/20s, so with NDx400 should be 20s and both will be similarly underexposed
    Exploring! :)

  5. #5
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    agreed with Coolthought, think you should try to slow down your shuttle speed . . .

    (ops, in manual mode and try it out again . . . )

    and your composition a bit out to me, try using the 1/3 rule etc . . . or move a little to see different compositions will help too . . .
    bro, shutter hor... don't let your dreams of space travel confuse you
    Exploring! :)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    I think its pretty good already =)
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    colour cast looks fine to me. However, both the pier and rocks looks a little underexposed to me for both the shots with and without filter.
    Hi coolthought, tks for the comments ^_^. Can i ask is it normal for NDX400 to have a blue colour cast? Cause I did a search through the forum and found a thread saying NDX400 tends to produce cooler colours, but i feel for the 2nd set of shots the blue cast seems to be quite bad. For the underexposure of my shots, would it be better for me to meter off the pier using spot meter than compared to center weighted or matrix?


    Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    agreed with Coolthought, think you should try to slow down your shuttle speed . . .

    (ops, in manual mode and try it out again . . . )

    and your composition a bit out to me, try using the 1/3 rule etc . . . or move a little to see different compositions will help too . . .
    Hi weegk, tks for the comments ^_^. Yeah i realise the composition was out which i feel especially so for the pier cutting the horizon, this was kind of a unplanned tryout of my ND filter so didn't bring a tripod out with me, had to use my bag as a support and then stick my lens out of the railing


    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Your set #1 seems fairly close in terms of exposure. I'm ignoring colour casts, etc, which you do need to correct for. Are you shooting in RAW?
    The Hoya NDx400 is not exactly 9stops. It is, as the name suggests, 400 times...
    So to maintain same exposure, shutter speed should be multipled by 400. For example Set 1-1 was 1/20s, so with NDx400 should be 20s and both will be similarly underexposed
    Hi zerocoolAstra, tks for the comments. I'm shooting in RAW, but i'm hoping to get the colours correct in camera for the next time i shoot. Any advice? Also is it normal for the NDX400 to have such a strong blue colour cast as seen in my 2nd set of shots? As for my underexposure of my shots would using spot metering be better compared to centre weighted or matrix? Also big thanks to you for letting me know that its not 9 stop, but 400 times, or else i would have forever be calculating the wrong shutter speed. ^_^


    Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    I think its pretty good already =)
    Hi ombre, tks for the comment ^_^

  8. #8
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binzento View Post
    Hi zerocoolAstra, tks for the comments. I'm shooting in RAW, but i'm hoping to get the colours correct in camera for the next time i shoot. Any advice? Also is it normal for the NDX400 to have such a strong blue colour cast as seen in my 2nd set of shots? As for my underexposure of my shots would using spot metering be better compared to centre weighted or matrix? Also big thanks to you for letting me know that its not 9 stop, but 400 times, or else i would have forever be calculating the wrong shutter speed. ^_^
    if you shoot in RAW, the camera does NO colour correction to the image. That is YOUR job during PP. Not sure what you're on about regarding the in-camera stuff. That is for jpg.
    I use ndx400 as well. Yes it's quite cool. But correctable (to my noob standards) with appropriate WB selection.
    Exploring! :)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    if you shoot in RAW, the camera does NO colour correction to the image. That is YOUR job during PP. Not sure what you're on about regarding the in-camera stuff. That is for jpg.
    I use ndx400 as well. Yes it's quite cool. But correctable (to my noob standards) with appropriate WB selection.
    Hi ZerocoolAstra, i have taken your advice and adjusted the WB in Adobe Raw, and the shots now looks better. Think i shouldn't have used auto WB for those shots. Will be taking up your advice on choosing the appropriate WB selection. ^_^

    (Set 1) WB Cloudy


    (Set 1) WB Shady




    (Set 2) WB Cloudy, EV+1


    (Set 2) WB Shady, EV+1

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    i prefer something in between your new wb and the original, for picture 1.

    not a fan of picture 2.

    just to check, picture 1 is labrador park?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Need advices and comments on long exposure.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i prefer something in between your new wb and the original, for picture 1.

    not a fan of picture 2.

    just to check, picture 1 is labrador park?
    Hi night86mare, picture 1 is labrador park and picture 2 is a close up of the rocks in the foreground. I have adjusted the temperature of picture 1 to somewhere inbetween as you have commented and have posted it below. I have also adjust the EV for another of picture 1.

    Picture 1 at Temperature 5200



    Picture 1 at Temperature 5200 with EV+0.5

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •