Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

  1. #21

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Anyone with use this with Canon 5DMII before?

  2. #22
    Member xluak48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    was thinking of buying this lens, but the MF part made me give it up.... even though for a fish eye f8 can be very wide le, but from alots of photo i see on flickr, not very sharp...
    fuji-canon-nikon-mamiya :D
    The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera.

  3. #23
    Member dannyfoxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    650

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by xluak48 View Post
    was thinking of buying this lens, but the MF part made me give it up.... even though for a fish eye f8 can be very wide le, but from alots of photo i see on flickr, not very sharp...
    The lens is sharp.. what you saw are those photographer unfamiliar with MF lens.. when you see from VF is sharp but the actual is not as sharp unless you can zoom in can check. This is common issue for MF lens.
    flickr
    ... I'm not a photographer yet.....

  4. #24

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    For fisheye, do you really need to focus at f8? It is all about the hyperfocal distance.
    More information can be found here. http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

    For 1.6 crop camera, at 8mm, f8, the hyperfocus distance is only 0.43 meters at infinity. Anything after 0.5m will be sharp.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    http://360.itcow.com
    Posts
    2,363

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Luval View Post
    Goodness ,, Jaw drop.. I want that Lens .. Are u using on a canon 550 D . try on a FFF.. the distortion will be even more .. and maybe over
    on a fullframe, the lens hood which is not removeable unless machine it/ shave it/ file it/ saw it etc etc, will be in the way and will appear in shots. I had mine filed down but at times, i had i do not haveto do that.

    See difference here http://www.360pano.de/en/samyang_5D_1D.html

    This Samyang 8mm is getting popular among panographers and prices has been rising steadily since.

    It's a great lens after my Peleng 8mm. It's lighter than the Peleng. Both being manual, I prefered my older Peleng for the locking feeling and i do not need to shave it for my 360 panoramas work.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    How much does this lens cost?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    http://360.itcow.com
    Posts
    2,363

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by chicken chop View Post
    How much does this lens cost?

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774452

  8. #28

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Tempted to switch back to SLR after seeing great fisheye shots

  9. #29

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by xluak48 View Post
    was thinking of buying this lens, but the MF part made me give it up.... even though for a fish eye f8 can be very wide le, but from alots of photo i see on flickr, not very sharp...
    As this lens focal length is 8mm, and at 8mm stopped down to f/8.0, anything after 0.5m will be razor sharp. So, because you saw the pictures from flickr, the pictures ain't sharp that's because of the lack of knowledge by the photographers to use this lens.

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyfoxy View Post
    The lens is sharp.. what you saw are those photographer unfamiliar with MF lens.. when you see from VF is sharp but the actual is not as sharp unless you can zoom in can check. This is common issue for MF lens.
    Yes, I agree with you. Usually when I shoot with this lens, what I did is just to compose my shots. Whether it is sharp or not in the view finder, I don't really care, cos at 8mm f/8.0 and after 0.5m it will tack sharp !

    Quote Originally Posted by colourfulfaces View Post
    For fisheye, do you really need to focus at f8? It is all about the hyperfocal distance.
    More information can be found here. http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

    For 1.6 crop camera, at 8mm, f8, the hyperfocus distance is only 0.43 meters at infinity. Anything after 0.5m will be sharp.
    Yes, at first when I first started to use this lens, I thought that the MF part was like those normal MF focusing. But when I first started with this lens, my shots wouldn't that sharp and good, untill I got my knowledge on hyperfocal distance.

    Thankfully I learnt about it and managed to applied it into my recent Hang Zhou, Macau, Hong Kong trip.

    Anyway, guys, sorry for my disappearance as I was away and couldn't manage to find internet access to reply.


    Quote Originally Posted by etegration View Post
    on a fullframe, the lens hood which is not removeable unless machine it/ shave it/ file it/ saw it etc etc, will be in the way and will appear in shots. I had mine filed down but at times, i had i do not haveto do that.

    See difference here http://www.360pano.de/en/samyang_5D_1D.html

    This Samyang 8mm is getting popular among panographers and prices has been rising steadily since.

    It's a great lens after my Peleng 8mm. It's lighter than the Peleng. Both being manual, I prefered my older Peleng for the locking feeling and i do not need to shave it for my 360 panoramas work.
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken chop View Post
    How much does this lens cost?
    shave the hood ? I feel 8mm is already very wide. So, for normal precision usage, I feel there's isn't a need to shave the hood.

    why ? after the shaved of the built in hood, it is quite hard to find a lens cap for it, and during the shave, unexpected dust might enter the lens, not only exterior, but during the shave process, friction takes place and micro dust can be generated, unless you stand by a giantic vacuum cleaner with a maid holding the hose, but take note, it won't be easy.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  10. #30

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Just came back from my recent trip.

    More pictures to share !


    IMG_8994 by jerrold2010, on Flickr


    IMG_9001 by jerrold2010, on Flickr


    IMG_9016 by jerrold2010, on Flickr
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  11. #31

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Great shots! I also own the Samyang 8mm FE...I love it...I use it on my Nikons, Fuji's,and My oly M4/3 pens. If you chk my blog a few months back there are some pics from using it on my M4/3 Oly pens....I also own their 14 f2.8...Its a super great lens as well!...I'm planning to get their 85m 1.4 next, and when their 35 f1.4 finally comes out I will get it as well...

    cheers

    www.snakephoto.blogspot.com

  12. #32

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Hey guys, just wanna contribute a few sample shots for those who prefer to de-fish their images...

    I didn't go crazy over post-production; I only did the defishing in PTLens, cropping out the dark portions, and some exposure, saturation and contrast tweaking...









    gibss.
    Nikon & Pentax :)

  13. #33

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Hi guys... i've owned this lens for quite a while. honestly, i'm a happy customer for this lens. 1st of all, its a really wide lens. good for landscapes photo. and fun lens too. prefer this lens over the peleng fisheye. not a pricey lens compared to the canon fisheye. for the sharpness comments, i beg to differ. i find this lens quite sharp, only if you know how to use a manual focus lens. would recommend this lens for those who are thinking to get a fisheye lens.

    here's a link for some of my photos taken using this lens. do have a look.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846032

  14. #34

    Default

    Curious. This is a MF lens. Can a body like d90 with built in motor drives it? It should right?

  15. #35

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    Curious. This is a MF lens. Can a body like d90 with built in motor drives it? It should right?
    What do you mean by drive it? AF?
    7D | 17-50 f2.8 | 30 f1.4 | 70-200L | flickr

  16. #36

  17. #37

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    Curious. This is a MF lens. Can a body like d90 with built in motor drives it? It should right?
    Since this lens, Samyang 8mm f/3.5 is a MANUAL FOCUS lens, it doesn't relies whether it needs any auto focusing from your camera at all.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  18. #38

    Default

    i never own a MF lens b4. Thus asking this quest. But seems that i cant quite get ur answer. So means its MF. so even if i mount on my d90 it won't AF too den.

    This is confusing. Ps

  19. #39

    Default Re: Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    i never own a MF lens b4. Thus asking this quest. But seems that i cant quite get ur answer. So means its MF. so even if i mount on my d90 it won't AF too den.

    This is confusing. Ps
    First of all, do you understand what is Manual Focus and Auto Focus ?
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  20. #40

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •