Thread: Why do they call it 3rd party lenses and not 2nd party lenses?

Default Why do they call it 3rd party lenses and not 2nd party lenses?

When it comes to first vs third party lenses for digital SLR cameras, there's usually a tradeoff: price vs. quality.

Many of the third party lenses are not as expensive as those made by camera manufacturers and when it comes to lenses you do get what you pay for.

However, many of the third party lens companies have recently produced exceptional lenses that aren't matched by any similar first party companies.
    This makes them a tempting alternative for those who don't want to spend a week's salary on a camera lens.

Now my question is why do they call it 3rd party lenses and not 2nd party lenses? Or should I ask why there is no 2nd party lenses?

Default Re: Why do they call it 3rd party lenses and not 2nd party lenses?

you and your cam's company constitute the first two parties?
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

Default Re: Why do they call it 3rd party lenses and not 2nd party lenses?

you are buying into a system i.e nikon, canon, olympus, pentax, sony, etc. so when you buy a camera, all own-brand lenses and accessories are naturally compatible with each other since they are from the same company. in other words, the manufacturer guarantees that it will work with your specific camera/lens. so you and the manufacturer are 2 parties of a "contract" (buying into their system). a third party is someone outside this contract, and whose products are not endorsed (but are compatible) with the manufacturer's products
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos