Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: to jumpship, or not?

Default Re: to jumpship, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by patzer View Post
    Hi all, im new to photography and even newer to CS.

I bought my first DSLR sony A330 earlier june this year. well i am totally sastified with sony now but i do have some concerns on whether will it remain the same in the future.

As such, i am rather reluctant to buy any accessories like lenses and flashes as im afraid i might realise sony isnt really for me.

From what I hear(from my friends), sony seems to be very unpopular among singaporean photographers.

Quite a few of my friends say that sony doesnt have the same image quality as canon or nikon, and all of its lenses except the CZs are sub-par.

However, i was rather impressed by sony's a55 10fps and AF points.

Also, as sony is new to the DSLR sector, i must also consider that sony may improve in the future and be able to churn out better stuff.

Even so, i'm still very unsure on whether in invest in any sony accessories or not, help please!
    Do you feel as though you are limited by your camera right now? The A330 has all the standard features that a photographer will require. Unless you are a professional who demands the absolute best in performance I do not believe you are limited in any way.

With regards to image quality, I'm pretty sure that it is Sony that manufactures the imaging sensors that go into many of the more popular camera brands, like Nikon and Pentax. The image quality will only vary through the post-processing that is done in various ways by the individual camera brands in order to get the final jpeg image output. Sony's jpeg algorithm may not be as refined as say, Nikon, but you can always shoot in RAW format and do jpeg development yourself.

Forget about the camera brand - it means very little in actual performance. Just a couple of years ago nobody had heard of Pentax and would scorn at such an "unknown" brand. But Pentax is one of the oldest camera makers and has an impressive history. Now clubsnap loves Pentax models.

I think Sony is progressive. They've taken the plunge into interchangeable lens cameras (the NEX series), along with Samsung, Olympus and Panasonic. Canikon and Pentax still lag behind. They've even put the translucent mirror into actual practice. On this basis I would say that Sony has guts and can be depended on.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

Do ya own research, dun listen to ya friend's bullshit, my friends keep asking me to buy canon, i end up buying sony after my own research, love the quailty produce by zeiss lens
    Sony α
    My Flickr | Facebook

Just so you know Zeiss (provides Sony lenses), Nikon, and Olympus make the best microscopes and scientific imaging equipments. Don't let anyone tell you that any of these companies' lenses are below par.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

I believe if TS spends some effort, he can research on the pros and cons of each brand and model.
    Asking for opinion with valid questions is alright too. If TS has many friends and each tells him different brands are good, so is TS going to buy all the brands? However, in the end no one can make final decision besides TS himself.
    Last edited by kwttan; 4th December 2010 at 03:26 AM.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

haha, guess i am the "best" person to commit in this thread... no offence to the rest

Dear threadster,

Like you, i am a Sony A200W user 3 years ago but thereafter jumped ship and joined Nikon club owning a D300 system since 2 years ago.

Honestly speaking, several conditions you really need to give a thot before the jump. At the end, the biggest problem for the jump would be monetarily hurt and camera shops are the ones who had the last laugh. Let me share with you my reasons for the jump:

1. My personal preference was Nikon's ergonomics over Sony's;
    2. I have a group of (Nikon-owners) friends whom i shared lens with;
    3. The range of lens available by Nikon and 3rd party makers would provide me with more choices in near future (at that point of time) but now i got to eat my words as now Sony are gradually building their range of lens;

Honestly speaking, i have no regrets using my A200W and still proud of the camera, I used the A200W as my platform to adopt photography as my hobby but worried that my passion may die gradually and thus i decided to start with a Sony first. Anyway, where to find a system that provides you with kit lens 18-70mm and 75-300mm range that cost only S$1499/-.

At the end, i confirmed that photography was my love as a hobby and A200W no longer satisfy my needs, thus i decided to jump ship to pursue my hobby further by committing to Nikon and acquire a semi-pro body.

I am now a happy Nikon-shooter

Threadster, you need to give a serious thoughts on your needs, wants and desires as jumping ship is no joke. Jump at your own risks and thoughts and not being light-ear listening to the negative aspects. Sony has began emerging one of the big player in dSLR, rolling out superb systems like NEX and SLT for which A55 is what you're looking at. You will be surprise Samsung is hot behind Sony's shoe also with a few great cameras in their house...

Regards,
    Li0nHeaRt
    Li0nHeaRt's Multiply
    Nikon D300 | Nikkor 17-55 f2.8G | SB-900 | Fujifilm F11

The newer Sony bodies offer very good dynamic range the IQ are just as good as any other cameras of the category. After all, they have been around in the world of digital imagery for as long as others. Don't worry too much and shoot more. Unless you want to change systems so that you can share equipment and lenses with friends, then by all means go ahead.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Hi all, im new to photography and even newer to CS.

I bought my first DSLR sony A330 earlier june this year. well i am totally sastified with sony now but i do have some concerns on whether will it remain the same in the future.

As such, i am rather reluctant to buy any accessories like lenses and flashes as im afraid i might realise sony isnt really for me.

From what I hear(from my friends), sony seems to be very unpopular among singaporean photographers.

Quite a few of my friends say that sony doesnt have the same image quality as canon or nikon, and all of its lenses except the CZs are sub-par.

However, i was rather impressed by sony's a55 10fps and AF points.

Also, as sony is new to the DSLR sector, i must also consider that sony may improve in the future and be able to churn out better stuff.

Even so, i'm still very unsure on whether in invest in any sony accessories or not, help please!
    we have much in common;
    I too am a sony a330 user and just bought my set from BnS last july.
    i also have friends and relatives who uses other brands and they have lots of praises for their particular brand.

the only difference we have are;
    im satisfied with sony and their dslr/dslt development.
    i have started investing in 2nd hand lenses which means that i will stick with sony and would probably invest in a better body when the time comes if i have enough spare money to buy brand new or wait and camp in BnS( for a33/a55 to go down in price...zzz).

as for the image quality from what my friends' other brands have, i always make it a point to compare their photos with what i have taken 10 years ago using a good old sony PnS digicam with 2mp and was post processed properly (and pretend it was taken by my dlsr).

I really think it's your friends who need to get educated... Plus, Sony DSLR cameras are getting very popular, and the sony users have regular outings and competitions that are frequently sponsored by Sony.

They are not new - they took over Minolta, and it's very well-regarded line of lenses and features.

I would say, if you are really feeling insecure, get the A55, then ask your friends why their cameras cannot do 10FPS without mirror slap, cannot fast AF in live view, cannot fast AF in video, don't have GPS and don't have built-in antishake.

Moral of the story: Don't get psycho'd by them. Be confident in yourself, and your gear is good. Join the Sony outings (there's one on sunday) and have fun.
    Alpha

Don't change system just because of hear-say from your friends. Ask yourself if your current set up is limiting you in any way. If it isn't limiting you then just stick to it. Ultimately its the person behind the camera that makes the biggest difference

Blog Entries

Don't look at your gear and the logo on your gear all the time...

Spend time shooting.

Every damm brand has its weaknessess in the products. Canon and nikon are not perfect.

One thing you must always remember in life; popular things don't mean they are good. Good things don't mean they should be popular.

Get the point?

When ppl want to buy new Jap car.... which brand they will think of, most of the time? Toyota, right? Why? coz their friends and families are driving one... But the question is "Is toyota really that good, or they are just popular?"

I'm using A330 too. Before i plunge myself into getting DSLR, i'm really a noob in DSLR photography. Dont know anything at all. Its only from self research and talking to ppl, i realise Sony is way ahead than other brands. That's why i ended with A330.

At that time, if i have know more about Pentax, i would have gotten Pentax, instead of Sony!

Don't be a follower in the crowd..... Herd mentality is very dangerous and self damaging.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12