Thread: FA77mm-- how to test

Default FA77mm-- how to test

Hi guys,
    I'm a lurker here for quite some time already, and also a newbie with regards to pentax (DLSR for that matter.. )

I'm planning to buy K5+kitlens sometimes next year. But a local 'ebay' site, has a FA77 for sale for an insanely low price!

I'm tempted to buy the lens even if I don't have a body yet!

So, I need you assistance regarding on how to check if the lens ok, and what are things to look out for when buying 2nd hand lens, in general.

Thanks very much.

Default Re: FA77mm-- how to test

if its very low and too good to be true, then it probably is....

if u want to risk it, without a camera there is nothing much u can test, except for cosmetics, the lens element any scratches, fungus or funny "stuff", any sticky aperture blades, the aperture ring clicks correctly...

any BF/FF have to test on the body...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Easiest way if delivery is by personal contact is to ask the seller to bring his/her Pentax cam and you use it to test on the spot. Photos of near distance objects (more than min focus distance of course) should look sharp enough even a x8 magnification.

Check the lens for damages, clear optics and working aperture. Check if the aperture blades are oily as well (should not be).

Gd luck

I think the seller you are referring to is overseas. There is no way you can really test the lens for sure.

Anyway, I think the quoted price is a typo error or the seller is playing games.....

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Easiest way if delivery is by personal contact is to ask the seller to bring his/her Pentax cam and you use it to test on the spot. Photos of near distance objects (more than min focus distance of course) should look sharp enough even a x8 magnification.

Check the lens for damages, clear optics and working aperture. Check if the aperture blades are oily as well (should not be).

Gd luck
    what does "aperture blades are oily" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by simon72 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm a lurker here for quite some time already, and also a newbie with regards to pentax (DLSR for that matter.. )

I'm planning to buy K5+kitlens sometimes next year. But a local 'ebay' site, has a FA77 for sale for an insanely low price!

So, I need you assistance regarding on how to check if the lens ok, and what are things to look out for when buying 2nd hand lens, in general.

Thanks very much.
    For that type of lens, it is safer to buy locally.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by GSiGuy View Post
    what does "aperture blades are oily" mean?
    If there is oil on the aperture blades its just that
    You will know it when you see it

Maybe you can do a web search to see if it turns up any pictures for better illustration

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    If there is oil on the aperture blades its just that
    You will know it when you see it

Maybe you can do a web search to see if it turns up any pictures for better illustration
    thanks! will do that. keep seeing descriptions on B&S saying aperture blades no oil and have no idea what that means...

look for reputable seller in ebay. view their feedback given by prev buyers. that's the best you can do...

Quote Originally Posted by simon72 View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks very much.

Nikon D7000 ~ my louya Flickr >.<

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

(my response is kinda late tho.. )

anyway, the seller is still not responding up to now. he may be not interested to
    part with his FA77 anymore.

Again, thank you and merry Christmas to all ! ! !

simon72