View Poll Results: Would you still get a Point and Shoot dsc if there is a 3.2MP camera phone?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, why not?

38 67.86%
  • No, of course

18 32.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera phone or digital camera?

Waiting for canon to come up with a phone attachment for the 1Dii. That would be cool! Imagine taking part in the SMS competition with a phone that's bigger than the bricks of old...

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Can they put a phone inside a digital camera instead?
    eg Sony W1, Nikon Coolpix series or Canon A series.
    My fav convergence device would be a DSLR with DVD player and built-in TV tuner.

Technically, of course they could, but convergence device are usually built around of a small-and-light form factor. Anything larger than a O2 xda in today's standard (which is pretty big to me already) is pretty much out.

You buy a digital still camera to take pictures, not to answer phone calls. Similarly, the primary use of a camera phone is to answer phone calls, not to take pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    My fav convergence device would be a DSLR with DVD player and built-in TV tuner.

Technically, of course they could, but convergence device are usually built around of a small-and-light form factor. Anything larger than a O2 xda in today's standard (which is pretty big to me already) is pretty much out.

You buy a digital still camera to take pictures, not to answer phone calls. Similarly, the primary use of a camera phone is to answer phone calls, not to take pictures.
    i agree with the last sentence! imagine you hear a ring, and this person infront of you picked up a camera, or worse still a dslr, to the ear haha! i can almost visualize that moment...

haha... especially when someone picks up a 1D MKII with a 600mm f4L attached and puts it to their ear.... if that were to happen, can compete with the old motorola waterbottles!!

But seriously, I really see no point in having so many things integrated into one machine... it'll be good at everything but brilliant at nothing...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

oh please. The camera phone is a phone with a built in camera as a novelty. It cannot compare to a camera. Just like digital video camera has the ability to shoot still shots and a digital camera is able to take video, they are made for different purpose. You gotta use the right tool for the right job man. AFAIK This should not even be brought up.

I love to use my gf's mobile phone to take pictures! It's fun!

3.2MPs don't mean a thing when the CCD is about the size of an ant's penis.

but ppl shoot with instant cameras and LOMO as well, that's roughly where the fonecam fits.
    I find that I shoot more places with the phone but keep less. and as far as a snapshot is concerned unless u're in really bad env it's good enough to MMS to ppl (which was the original purpose of phonecams).
    if u want good shots then DSLR (dun have movie fn either) lor , maybe the vertical grip can be the handset!
    I personally dun think tech is a real issue, a few years back ppl were swearing at CMOS -- today they're swearing by them. so?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Sorry denizenx, don't think that's a good example.
    Few years back ppl were not very happy with CMOS mainly because of the low resolutions. But it had very good potential in colour department: the images looked less 'digital' then CCD.
    Years later as the resolutions improve along with it's growing physical size, it's top notch. At least I was (used to own a 180 & a 300kpixels taiwan made ABC brand CMOS DC) and still am impressed by it.
    But a phone is a phone is a phone. Unless all the physical limitations are addressed, there is simply no replacement for a good dedicated camera. Even if they were to be remedied one day, the technology to build such tiny super cameras will cost you a bomb.
    Physical limitations is something you can overcome only through redefining the law of physics.
    For many many years now, scientists and audio enthusiasts tried hard to produce book shelf loudspeakers that can produce sounds that are as good as floor standing types.
    Good results were ultimately produced, but only to a certain extend.
    In the end, a good book shelf still can't beat the dynamic range of a mediocre floor stander.
    Ask any Audiophiles & he will tell you that he prefers separate components than all-in-one audio system simply because the electronics are dedicate to their assigned functions, thus, perform much better.
    Back to camera:
    If a compact digital is that good, manufacturers will not need to produce DSLR. But they still do to meet different segments of the market. A compact is cheaper and is easier to carry about so that you still can take some decent shots, whereas a DSLR for ppl who want quality images and trade with heavy equipment and steep learning curve. As for a handphone camera, it's for ppl who just want to have fun and not serious in photography at all. Anyone seen a tripod for camera phones?
    I have absolutely no doubt at all the image quality produce by a handphone camera will reach that of a DSLR one day. But when this day comes, we only need to press a button and say:"beam me up scotty." if we want to travel from point A to B.

Quote Originally Posted by LiOnElLiN
    mini sd cards?
    for real?
    how much smaller can an sd card get?
    off topic:

To be exact, it's a mini mmc (which is thinner than a sd in the first place). It's already available and is used un the newer nokia smart phones. approximately half the size, which means, around the size of a xd card. think the highest capacity so far is 256. This mini mmc was innitated by toshioba. Oh yeah, it still works with applications that uses the full size mmc, just needs an adaptor. Oh, and SD card now has SDIO Now! (including the exclamation), well, as the name said, it's IO, so we are seeing bluetooth and wireless adaptors, camera attachements in SD format...

Hmmm... frankly, if stricty following the poll, i may not get a point and shoot anymore, since the only reason for me to have a digital point and shoot is for improntu fun shots, and it has to be small enough not to require me carrying a bag for it, something along the size of minolta X series maximum. For if not, i'll rather carry a prosumer. So if a phone cam can chuns out decent (no need to be pretty) images, i don't mind having that instead of a point and shoot. Oh yeah, and 3G with symbian OS please.

Hmmm... So when are they going to come up with cyberbrains ala Ghost in the shell style? No need camera liao... hahahahaha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12