Thread: Hainan China

Default Hainan China

Hi dear clubsnappers, I will be going on my trip to Hainan for the first time. I am not sure about what places of interest will be good to photograph and how cold the place will be and whether it will affect my camera. I would greatly appreciate it if any of you who have gone to Hainan before can give me some tips on what is good to take and tips on keeping my equipment safe. Thank you!
    P

Default Re: Hainan China

Quote Originally Posted by prisfactor View Post
    Hi dear clubsnappers, I will be going on my trip to Hainan for the first time. I am not sure about what places of interest will be good to photograph and how cold the place will be and whether it will affect my camera. I would greatly appreciate it if any of you who have gone to Hainan before can give me some tips on what is good to take and tips on keeping my equipment safe. Thank you!
    Hi Bro

I was in Hainan in China in May for a week.

Was there to take a look at my great grand father's houses & the family graves.

Basically if you fly budget airlines, all of them will mostly touch down at Haikou Airport, all the way up north of the island.

I'm not sure if the rail system that runs around the island is up or not, previously when I was there, it was under construction. A rail system that runs around the island.

Watch out for the scammers once you are at Haikou airport. You can either catch a bus or taxi to town.

The places I've been to in Hainan is Qionghai & Sanya.
    Basically, Qionghai was my ancestor's hometown. If you like looking & wondering around old towns, Qionghai is the place to be.

The street side coffeeshops offer cheap decent food. Just bear in mind, their meat is seriously tough, I became vegetarian there. Qionghai is once place where tourist wouldnt go, so if you love street photography, want to experience local food, its the place to go imho.

Sanya, if I remember correctly is about 1-1.5hours away from Qionghai, I got a bus all the way down from the bus terminal in Qionghai. Buy tickets only from the counter, not the scammers around the bus terminal.

Qionghai is a majority of Hainanese speaking people that understand some mandrain as well.

Sanya, the tourist place on the other hand is a whole different world. There is little Hainanese there but more mainland chinese setting up businesses there.

I stayed at Dadonghai for about 4 days. Go for those home stay hostels, really cheap. Watch out for pickpockets & thieves there, huge load of them there. I got my rangefinder stolen there

sanya is a great place to shoot, a city you can walk around easily & there are domestic buses going on around the city. Modern.

Beaches are beautiful & apartments there cost more than condos in SIN.
    The main language spoken in Sanya, is mandrain & you will be suprised, Russian. Restaurants have menu in mandrain & russians, store have their name in russian as well, you will see loads of russians there.

Russian mei mei

Btw, cash is king in Hainan, the bars, pubs dont accept credit cards unless its a upscale hotel/restaurant. I didnt see any ATM point there as well.