Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone has switched from Nikon to Sony a55?

Default Re: Anyone has switched from Nikon to Sony a55?

If you are a casual user then switching to the A55 doesn't make much sense, especially since you won't need such high end features. With the A mount the lens selection is the same and here also you won't save much weight.

Better if you look at the m43 options like Panasonic and Olympus or APSC options like the Sony NEX or Samsung NX series. My NX10+30mm/F2 pancake only weighs around 400g.

I personally think the translucent mirror on the SLT cameras is neither here not there. The future is losing the mirror/prism box. EVFs will become better than OVFs, and contrast detect will become preferred to phase detect AF.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

Oh ok, another dslr to research on! tks!

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I too wish that my D90 lcd screen is tiltable.
    Maybe you can try something like this?
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/657208-post3.html

If you want to go light weight, why not check out the pentax dslr?

Hmmm, I am not just chasing high end features blindly (else i wld have gotten D7k) but truly need some of the features on a55 which is not found on d90, such as fast AF on live view, tiltable LCD and 300g off the body + lens.

For me, as an amateur, i dont really care if it is "neither here nor there" etc ... as long as long as it is a capable machine and fits one's unique needs, it doesnt matter how the inside works...

Quote Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post
    If you are a casual user then switching to the A55 doesn't make much sense, especially since you won't need such high end features. With the A mount the lens selection is the same and here also you won't save much weight.

Better if you look at the m43 options like Panasonic and Olympus or APSC options like the Sony NEX or Samsung NX series. My NX10+30mm/F2 pancake only weighs around 400g.

I personally think the translucent mirror on the SLT cameras is neither here not there. The future is losing the mirror/prism box. EVFs will become better than OVFs, and contrast detect will become preferred to phase detect AF.

If the issue is just weight for d90....

Have you consider a better neck strap cause if u are using the stock strap they suck big time..a good neck strap help to spread the weight and you won't find it that really heavy..

Or have u try out blackrapid sling strap before? Cause for me I'm carrying a d3 + 70-200 before and no way a neck strap will work for me so end up the sligh strap is the way to go to be able to carry your camera for whole day out field.

Alrite.... I have just popped by Sony at Bugis to try out the a55.... here are my feel on it:

1. EVF vs OVF - Its like watching a non HD TV vs watching something live. I didnt like EVF very much, it didnt give a very "real live" view....

2. Grip too shallow - my finger nails were eating into the rubber

3. Weight is to my liking though

4. LCD - altho the specs of the LCD is pretty good on paper, i am not sure why in live view mode, it appears grainy. But i like the tiltable LCD tho.

5. Changing settings is a little bit troublesome as compared to D90. for a55, you need to press a button to draw out the various settings (like iso, shutter speed etc) and then u gotta select eg. ISO, and then click again to select the ISO u want. Whereas for D90, there are dedicated buttons for ISO and shutter speed, which one flick, u can change it.

6. Shutter lag - If the preview is turned on for say 2sec... when you press the shutter, it will pause for 1s, then show the pic for 2 sec only then u can take another pic. For D90, under the same settings, if you do not want to preview that particular shot but instead wants to quickly take another shot, you can just press the shutter and it will allow you to take another pic almost instantaneously. but for a55, you have to wait for a total of 3 sec before u can take another pic.

Same if you turn off preview. a55 will still pause for 1s before you are allowed to take a second pic. D90 can take a second pic almost instantaneously. To me thats a big minus esp when i take stage performance where in order to capture that particular moment, i may need take a 2-3 pics one right after another. but i guess that can be resolved using the 10fps...... but again u need to change the settings which require time...

Hmmmm... so all in all..... i think i will not switch to a55! thanks guys for all your advice!
    Last edited by oceantoofar; 1st December 2010 at 05:36 PM.

icic! i didnt know a good neck strap will make that big a difference... i will check out your suggestion! tks!

I usually sling it on one side of my shoulder.. dun like to hang it on my neck .... just feel v uncomfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by NiteWind View Post
    If the issue is just weight for d90....

Have you consider a better neck strap cause if u are using the stock strap they suck big time..a good neck strap help to spread the weight and you won't find it that really heavy..

Or have u try out blackrapid sling strap before? Cause for me I'm carrying a d3 + 70-200 before and no way a neck strap will work for me so end up the sligh strap is the way to go to be able to carry your camera for whole day out field.

Quote Originally Posted by oceantoofar View Post
    After reading tons of reviews on Sony a55 and comparisons between a55 and d90, I am super tempted to switch from my D90 to a55. Some of its features really outdo D90 such as:

1. 10fps
    2. Very fast AF in live view
    3. Continuous AF in video recording
    4. Tiltable LCD screen
    5. Lightweight 450g compared to d90's 700g (i find the d90 with my lens of 1.2kg a tad too heavy for me)
    Alternatively, have you considered Nikon D3100? Think it satisfy 3,4,5(partially, still heavier than a55 i think)

Yeah I have considered d3100. I think it doesn't come with tiltable LCD. On paper I tot the a55 is much better than d3100. That's why I narrowed down to a55.

Quote Originally Posted by Adnix View Post
    Alternatively, have you considered Nikon D3100? Think it satisfy 3,4,5(partially, still heavier than a55 i think)

Yeah I have considered d3100. I think it doesn't come with tiltable LCD. On paper I tot the a55 is much better than d3100. That's why I narrowed down to a55.
    if you are staying with nikon, then you might want to switch to D5000.
    Lighter and with tilt lcd screen. Most of the specs are similar including the sensor and movie clips.
    However do note that this will be a downgrade, you can only autofocus with AF-S lenses and the lcd has lower res, etc.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Yup I have indeed considered d5000 as well. But the weight is only 100g lighter than d90 and also I won't be able to auto focus with 50f1.4d. Sony a55 can and also has image stabilization in the body itself. Which means fast prime will have VR! haha that sounds good.

if you are staying with nikon, then you might want to switch to D5000.
    Lighter and with tilt lcd screen. Most of the specs are similar including the sensor and movie clips.
    However do note that this will be a downgrade, you can only autofocus with AF-S lenses and the lcd has lower res, etc.

Yup I have indeed considered d5000 as well. But the weight is only 100g lighter than d90 and also I won't be able to auto focus with 50f1.4d. Sony a55 can and also has image stabilization in the body itself. Which means fast prime will have VR! haha that sounds good.
    okie then. Stay with the D90 and get yourself a gym membership.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

hahaha yeah i honestly should!!!

okie then. Stay with the D90 and get yourself a gym membership.

You can check out the Sony A560/580 then. But I heard that these 2 cameras are not available in SG, however can be bought across the causeway and at a very attractive price.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Im a A55 and A850 user, and my office's DSLR is a D90 which i played around with it alot, so this is my POV.

Live view:
    The D90 has a SSSLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW live view compared to the A55's. The swivel type of LCD on the A55 is also a big bonus.

EVF vs OVF:
    This is really subjective, and no one can really say which is better. My A850's OVF is much better than the D90's OVF, and to be honest I didnt like the EVF of the A55 initially. But now that I used the A55 for awhile now, Ive gotten used to it, and the EVF doesnt look that weird to me anymore. One thing that I was quite surprised abt EVF is that in dark places, the EVF actually brightens up the view, so that it looks brighter in the EVF than thru the naked eye. This actually is somewhat useful in a way.

Handling wise, the D90 (as well as my A850) will be better of cos. the A55 is afterall an entry level DSLR. But besides handling, I think the A55 doesnt lose to the D90 much in anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    Im a A55 and A850 user, and my office's DSLR is a D90 which i played around with it alot, so this is my POV.

Live view:
    The D90 has a SSSLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW live view compared to the A55's. The swivel type of LCD on the A55 is also a big bonus.

EVF vs OVF:
    This is really subjective, and no one can really say which is better. My A850's OVF is much better than the D90's OVF, and to be honest I didnt like the EVF of the A55 initially. But now that I used the A55 for awhile now, Ive gotten used to it, and the EVF doesnt look that weird to me anymore. One thing that I was quite surprised abt EVF is that in dark places, the EVF actually brightens up the view, so that it looks brighter in the EVF than thru the naked eye. This actually is somewhat useful in a way.

Handling wise, the D90 (as well as my A850) will be better of cos. the A55 is afterall an entry level DSLR. But besides handling, I think the A55 doesnt lose to the D90 much in anything else.
    You sounded like one of my forum friend in another intranet forum, a real Sony supporter who also have the same camera as you, A55 & A850...
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

Yay finally found someone who has used both D90 and A55.....

Yes i agree live view on D90 is uselessly slow! Thanks for your comparison

And coz A55 has got inbuilt stabilization, using a prime like 50f1.4 will be super cool! Shldnt have any problems shooting handheld at night...

Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post

Live view:

EVF vs OVF:

I followed this thread and my understanding is initially you have an inclination towards A55 but after trying it out, you are disappointed over EVF and grip.

I'm using a GH-1 and the EFV thing is a matter of getting use to it. A lighter cam means every parts are built smaller including the grip. But at least it fullfilled all your requirements of 2,4 5, isn't it?

I know nothing about A55 IQ but since its a APC sensor, I supposed it should not be worst off than D90. Anyway, you can easily check the IQ review from the web but I have a gut feeling it can't be worst off since it has a newer technology.

I know exactly what you're talking about wt and tilt screen. A tilt LCD is so useful that a typical DSLR user may not know what he is missing. I will not use a cam without tilt screen and one of the major consideration that I chose a GH-1 is all because of tilt screen. Yes, it is. But I also like it small and I'm a man.

Have you consider a 4/3? The latest GH-2 (I think still not here yet but maybe soon) is touted to have AF faster than any entry level DSLR. EVF has advantage over OVF which is brighter in the dark and you can see the subject clearly. Review mentioned usable ISO 1600 and 3200 still ok. Lighter than A55 and comes in red ! (fashionable for lady). If A3 size is not your usual printed size, the 4/3 sensor is more than it can offer.

Check it out.

Blog Entries

I came from the prosumer world with EVF and super tiltable LCDs.

Most mirrorless cameras suffer from less battery life not because they use a smaller capacity battery but simply because of all the power that is required when looking through the EVF. EVF is on, Camera sensor is also on all the time while the EVF is on. OVF is optical so even if the camera is turned off you can still look through the viewfinder. Some power is used for metering but it is not significant when compared to the power the sensor or LCD or EVF draws. in a DSLR when using OVF, the sensor is only powered on for a very short while to capture the image (still photos). You have to understand that these sensors were not meant to be running non-stop for too long a time, as they came from a lineage of digital still camera sensors. That is why when you shoot video (or use liveview too much) with most DSLR you will see the overheating problem. They have sort of improved this performance in the A33/A55, but overheating still happens, because when you are looking through the viewfinder, the sensor is still on all the time.

IMHO, there is no clear line which direction is better. Just different approaches each with its pros and cons. Select the one you feel most comfortable with. But seriously, D90 is already a very good camera. And yes, get a better strap, I am using Op/tech pro loop strap, as well as Blackrapid R strap. Really takes the weight off.

And if moving from D90 to a lower model, you do not only lose the in-body af motor drive and top LCD. You will also lose the ability for quick settings changes, because D90 offer a lot of direct access to settings that the lower bodies do not. But D300s, D700 and above offers even faster operation than the D90... I was shooting D90 2 days ago, and I felt it was too troublesome to get to the settings I wanted... (even though I owned a D90 before).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd December 2010 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks for following this thread and sharing ur experience below.

Yup i think the EVF needs some getting use to and i am sure after a while, one wouldnt even feel the difference. Yeah, A55 does satisfy quite alot of my needs and maybe i should give it a second chance by renting it and trying it out for a day or two....

I will also check out ur suggestions, GH1 and 2 .... tks!!

Quote Originally Posted by divinemoment View Post
    I followed this thread and my understanding is initially you have an inclination towards A55 but after trying it out, you are disappointed over EVF and grip.

I'm using a GH-1 and the EFV thing is a matter of getting use to it. A lighter cam means every parts are built smaller including the grip. But at least it fullfilled all your requirements of 2,4 5, isn't it?

I know nothing about A55 IQ but since its a APC sensor, I supposed it should not be worst off than D90. Anyway, you can easily check the IQ review from the web but I have a gut feeling it can't be worst off since it has a newer technology.

I know exactly what you're talking about wt and tilt screen. A tilt LCD is so useful that a typical DSLR user may not know what he is missing. I will not use a cam without tilt screen and one of the major consideration that I chose a GH-1 is all because of tilt screen. Yes, it is. But I also like it small and I'm a man.

Have you consider a 4/3? The latest GH-2 (I think still not here yet but maybe soon) is touted to have AF faster than any entry level DSLR. EVF has advantage over OVF which is brighter in the dark and you can see the subject clearly. Review mentioned usable ISO 1600 and 3200 still ok. Lighter than A55 and comes in red ! (fashionable for lady). If A3 size is not your usual printed size, the 4/3 sensor is more than it can offer.

Check it out.

Ah i see... thanks for the explanation... that made alot of sense....

When one "downgrades" to a lower model, the first reaction is to "mentally reject it". Its like one is used to staying in a condo and then asking him to change to a flat... even tho the flat may serve the person's needs as well as a condo does or even better (like closer to supermarket, transport etc). lol

Rite.... i will just go rent a55 for a day and see how it goes.... if i still dun like it, i will stick with D90.

Tks for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I came from the prosumer world with EVF and super tiltable LCDs.

Most mirrorless cameras suffer from less battery life not because they use a smaller capacity battery but simply because of all the power that is required when looking through the EVF. EVF is on, Camera sensor is also on all the time while the EVF is on. OVF is optical so even if the camera is turned off you can still look through the viewfinder. Some power is used for metering but it is not significant when compared to the power the sensor or LCD or EVF draws. in a DSLR when using OVF, the sensor is only powered on for a very short while to capture the image (still photos). You have to understand that these sensors were not meant to be running non-stop for too long a time, as they came from a lineage of digital still camera sensors. That is why when you shoot video (or use liveview too much) with most DSLR you will see the overheating problem. They have sort of improved this performance in the A33/A55, but overheating still happens, because when you are looking through the viewfinder, the sensor is still on all the time.

IMHO, there is no clear line which direction is better. Just different approaches each with its pros and cons. Select the one you feel most comfortable with. But seriously, D90 is already a very good camera. And yes, get a better strap, I am using Op/tech pro loop strap, as well as Blackrapid R strap. Really takes the weight off.

And if moving from D90 to a lower model, you do not only lose the in-body af motor drive and top LCD. You will also lose the ability for quick settings changes, because D90 offer a lot of direct access to settings that the lower bodies do not. But D300s, D700 and above offers even faster operation than the D90... I was shooting D90 2 days ago, and I felt it was too troublesome to get to the settings I wanted... (even though I owned a D90 before).

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast