Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentaxians that like to shoot portraits - Human or Animals

Default Re: Pentaxians that like to shoot portraits - Human or Animals

My advice to TS is to consider also the possible scenario where the distance between the photographer and the subject would require what kind of suitable focal length.
    Eg; If one is taking photos among the crowd, one would probably use the 35mm. Of course with the assumption that one can wriggle to the front. But if one can't jostle to the front, then a longer zoom lens like the tammy 28-75mm at 75mm would help. Of course with the assumption that one can elevate oneself to a higher point to avoid all the oily heads.

Hope it helps...
    Last edited by Nanoo; 1st December 2010 at 08:18 PM.
    K5, Tam 17-50, DA 50-200, FA 31, DA 70, DA 14

Quote Originally Posted by xxrenxx View Post
    What if the situation is like the recent AFA X where there is so many people crowding around 1 cosplayer. Taking that kind of over crowding situation, FA50 and Tammy 28-75, which of these 2 lens will have a better advantage?
    Set up your own mini-studio at one dark corner and "cordon" off the area? That's what me and the boys (CorneliusK, eselite and others) did after several frustrating events.

That said, my shooters used among them the 10-20, 18-55, 16-50, 35 and 50mm. I'd love to see the new 18-135 in action for future events. I don't care much about bokeh when indoors. But if you were to go lone ranger, I'd stick with the 28-75 for subject isolation. I wouldn't mind getting the 18-55 as my cheapo AF lens for events. My MF lenses are too sensitive wide open.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

Lens are not the only (or even the most important factor) in getting good portrait shots, good lighting matters a lot also. It really ultimately boils down to what you intend to shoot.

Budget wise tho, for cosplay shooting, the tammy 28-75 is very good value for money, and the zoom range is nice for full body/head and shoulders portraits. I personally prefer the DA* 50-135 when I am out hunting cosplayers, but its more for head and shoulder shots, and its also nearly 3 times the cost of the tammy.

If you are really into portraits, save up for an FA77 and be done w/ it

Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    Set up your own mini-studio at one dark corner and "cordon" off the area? That's what me and the boys (CorneliusK, eselite and others) did after several frustrating events.

That said, my shooters used among them the 10-20, 18-55, 16-50, 35 and 50mm. I'd love to see the new 18-135 in action for future events. I don't care much about bokeh when indoors. But if you were to go lone ranger, I'd stick with the 28-75 for subject isolation. I wouldn't mind getting the 18-55 as my cheapo AF lens for events. My MF lenses are too sensitive wide open.
    Can't haha, i dun have the equip to do that I've been using my 1855 all this time and it serve me well. But then sometimes i wish that the bokeh were better that's why i'm considering to get a new lens.

Ya, i like to walk around the whole area finding subject to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post
    Lens are not the only (or even the most important factor) in getting good portrait shots, good lighting matters a lot also. It really ultimately boils down to what you intend to shoot.

Budget wise tho, for cosplay shooting, the tammy 28-75 is very good value for money, and the zoom range is nice for full body/head and shoulders portraits. I personally prefer the DA* 50-135 when I am out hunting cosplayers, but its more for head and shoulder shots, and its also nearly 3 times the cost of the tammy.
    Yes, i tend to take half body shot than full body. As for DA*, its way too high for me to consider, student here

Both you and Baracus suggested the tammy when hunting for subject, so what about the FA50 for half body shot?
    Nikon D7000 ~ my louya Flickr >.<

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    That will got to wait after i finished my army

Like Frank said, the FA77mm F1.8 Limited is the one for portraits. I have one and still learning how to use it corerectly.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    I'd settle for either the 55/1.2 clones, M85/2 or K135/2.5 plus a bunch of flashes for that kind of money. Throw in a pocketwizard or 2 as well.

Can't haha, i dun have the equip to do that I've been using my 1855 all this time and it serve me well. But then sometimes i wish that the bokeh were better that's why i'm considering to get a new lens.

Ya, i like to walk around the whole area finding subject to shoot.

Both you and Baracus suggested the tammy when hunting for subject, so what about the FA50 for half body shot?
    If you want to learn the art of walking around for subjects, tag along with sifu BananaDiver.

Personally, my walkaround lens for cosplay used to be either 85 or 135mm. I even managed full body shots with either lens. A 50mm should be fine for half body.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    If you want to learn the art of walking around for subjects, tag along with sifu BananaDiver.

Personally, my walkaround lens for cosplay used to be either 85 or 135mm. I even managed full body shots with either lens. A 50mm should be fine for half body.
    Thanks for the input haha! Haven met any of the shifu here also, so even if i bumb into them i also dunno who they are

I seldom take group shot so using the FA50 is not much of the hassle.

The FA50 mount onto the k-x is giving me about 75mm (FA50 is 75mm in 35mm format)
    so i'm just afraid that the focal distance is too far. Unlike the tammy which can zoom and unzoom. But it seems that my worries are just small issue.

Its better to get a zoom lens if you are just starting out and on a budget. A zoom lens will let you try out different focal lengths so you can get a better feel of what each focal length looks like, what kind of perspective it can give, etc.

Getting a prime lens when doing walkabout cosplay shooting is also an exercise in frustration, as you may have very limited time and space to shoot your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post
    Its better to get a zoom lens if you are just starting out and on a budget. A zoom lens will let you try out different focal lengths so you can get a better feel of what each focal length looks like, what kind of perspective it can give, etc.

Getting a prime lens when doing walkabout cosplay shooting is also an exercise in frustration, as you may have very limited time and space to shoot your subject.
    haha, that i very much agree.
    Till now i only had a feel of focal length till 55 from the kit lens.

haha, that i very much agree.
    Till now i only had a feel of focal length till 55 from the kit lens.
    noob to noob, just wondering (since you are on budget) if you considered getting a DAL 50-200 or 55-300? This will be fairly cheap on B&S and and you can really explore the higher focal lengths on the range for your portraiture shoots.

i reckon even for the sifus like FengWei, the lens collection is something that, in law, we call "shifting and ambulatory"... the collection will change with time (by buying & selling) and depending on what suits the user at that time. you will eventually find something that will suit you, am sure.

so when you've played around with the 50-200/55-300, you may find a particular focal length that suits you and you can now target a better lens that will suit that focal length (or range). kinda wasted to get an expensive lens now and then find that you won't use it much...

or, as a fellow pentaxian said earlier, maybe try the manual primes or zooms cos they're much cheaper. less risk...

Quote Originally Posted by GSiGuy View Post
    noob to noob, just wondering (since you are on budget) if you considered getting a DAL 50-200 or 55-300? This will be fairly cheap on B&S and and you can really explore the higher focal lengths on the range for your portraiture shoots.

i reckon even for the sifus like FengWei, the lens collection is something that, in law, we call "shifting and ambulatory"... the collection will change with time (by buying & selling) and depending on what suits the user at that time. you will eventually find something that will suit you, am sure.

so when you've played around with the 50-200/55-300, you may find a particular focal length that suits you and you can now target a better lens that will suit that focal length (or range). kinda wasted to get an expensive lens now and then find that you won't use it much...

or, as a fellow pentaxian said earlier, maybe try the manual primes or zooms cos they're much cheaper. less risk...
    I think XrenX is gg for the Aperture wise. To give a deeper bokeh and fast shooting. Like Tamron 28-75mm has 2.8 aperture & FA50mm has 1.4 aperture. Coz some anime cosfest dimmed their lights.

But 55-300mm does gives very painting like bokeh. Use this lens to take flower pic but its not a fast lens unless using flash la.
    Last edited by ricsal; 2nd December 2010 at 07:55 AM.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

Quote Originally Posted by ricsal View Post
    I think XrenX is gg for the Aperture wise. To give a deeper bokeh and fast shooting. Like Tamron 28-75mm has 2.8 aperture & FA50mm has 1.4 aperture. Coz some anime cosfest dimmed their lights.

But 55-300mm does gives very painting like bokeh. Use this lens to take flower pic but its not a fast lens unless using flash la.
    yup! I have also tried the tammy 90mm macro prime. And i dun really like the focal length cos i'll be standing too far away from the subject. Full body shot worst If its 1 to 1 of cos its not a problem but within crowd is a

As for now, kits lens 50 ~ 55mm is the most comfortable focal length for me.

yup! I have also tried the tammy 90mm macro prime. And i dun really like the focal length cos i'll be standing too far away from the subject. Full body shot worst If its 1 to 1 of cos its not a problem but within crowd is a

As for now, kits lens 50 ~ 55mm is the most comfortable focal length for me.
    since u have already decided that 50-55 is the most comfortable focal length for you, then you might find that you won't lose much with the tamron 28-75.

it gives u a comfortable focal range to work with, 50mm is in the mid range so you won't have to shoot at the extreme ends, and its fast at f2.8.

if you really wanna know what an FA50 would feel like, just zoom your 18-55, zoom to 50mm and leave it there for a day. if you find it ok, then you have your answer

that's how it is with primes. it forces you to work harder when you compose but its a lighter package, sharper and you get more control over DOF cos of the larger max aperture.

that said, i would say that i seldom use the FA50 wide open. focus accuracy is a challenge at F1.4 have to be quite skillful or you will get a lot of soft pix. i usually step down to F2.

imo, the idea of "a lens to end all lens buying" is pure wishful thinking unless you only shoot ONE type of subject under ONE type of condition. there are always trade-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    since u have already decided that 50-55 is the most comfortable focal length for you, then you might find that you won't lose much with the tamron 28-75.

it gives u a comfortable focal range to work with, 50mm is in the mid range so you won't have to shoot at the extreme ends, and its fast at f2.8.

if you really wanna know what an FA50 would feel like, just zoom your 18-55, zoom to 50mm and leave it there for a day. if you find it ok, then you have your answer

that's how it is with primes. it forces you to work harder when you compose but its a lighter package, sharper and you get more control over DOF cos of the larger max aperture.

that said, i would say that i seldom use the FA50 wide open. focus accuracy is a challenge at F1.4 have to be quite skillful or you will get a lot of soft pix. i usually step down to F2.

imo, the idea of "a lens to end all lens buying" is pure wishful thinking unless you only shoot ONE type of subject under ONE type of condition. there are always trade-offs.
    Tried using f1.4 when i was using it, subject turns out very soft so step down to f2 also and was amaze by the result. That's when i got poison by it

Also tried before for the kit lens zooming to 50mm Find it quite ok for me.

Tried using f1.4 when i was using it, subject turns out very soft so step down to f2 also and was amaze by the result. That's when i got poison by it

Did u shoot without hood? 50 f1.4 is quite soft wide open, but hood helps alot
    from f2 its definitely sharper than your kit lens at f5.6 (55mm), but not as sharp as this lens

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/126-p...report?start=1
    http://www.photozone.de/pentax/135-p...report?start=1

then buy lor... i bought it at the current (inflated) price and i didn't regret it. its a good lens.

between primes and zooms, i am more biased towards primes lah... just buy what u think will serve your purpose best.

Quote Originally Posted by ricsal View Post

yeah maybe i wasn't paying enough attention to the posts.

you're right. if handling low light situations, the max aperture of the lens is a priority.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast