Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    I'm also seeing the DSLR as a fashion statement.

The teenagers with use the DSLR like a necklace and not put it into their bag even in the bus.
    thats true, and its hard to take "self shot" with a DSLR~!! 18-200 is too heavy =(
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that too is artificial, because when you are using manual mode, you are still letting it think for you when metering.
    I don't use metering either.

First I look for the sun.

If there is no sun I look at North, South, East and West for the source of light and energy.

Then I compare the colour of my skin with the skin of XMM to work out how much to compensate for exposure.

Only then I close my eyes for a second for the flow of energy before I press the button.

Last edited by Sion; 2nd December 2010 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that too is artificial, because when you are using manual mode, you are still letting it think for you when metering.

it is arguable that there is no real disconnection from technology - some people seem to strut around thinking that manual mode is the way to go because they seem very macho, telling a small camera what to do... but that's not true, especially if they can't seem to expose right, because all they do is dial in values that make the meter say '0'.

why go along this line? we only care about the results. it is more important to understand your equipment to push it to do what you want. if you have a half-baked crap camera that only focuses in a certain way, and that's all you can afford, you should be focusing on mastering the equipment so that you can give maximum results based on the limiting factor here.

auto mode, manual mode, as long as you can give me something that works well, i couldn't care less. the worst thing is when you just claim to use manual mode happily and "drive the machine"... and you don't understand it at all, and then complain that the camera metering mode sucks... when the camera is just a small machine.
    i dun think you seen me shoot before, what is artificial? using the meter? what that? i used experience to tell me what right, and use the histogram and lcd to check, i'm not trying to be clever or old school or anything, dun judge my methods dude, compare my photos and consistency. after 8 years of shooting with different cameras, results vary and i look of consistency when I work, using the brains to calculate and judge. I have very little to "try my luck" or "keep hammering till i get it". I need to nail and I cannot afford to let the camera surprise me.

click on my work and and i allow my work to mean what i say, not just be a petty keyboard warrior.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 2nd December 2010 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain View Post
    i dun think you seen me shoot before, what is artificial? using the meter? what that? i used experience to tell me what right, and use the histogram and lcd to check, i'm not trying to be clever or old school or anything, dun judge my methods dude, compare my photos and consistency. after 8 years of shooting with different cameras, results vary and i look of consistency when I work, using the brains to calculate and judge. I have very little to "try my luck" or "keep hammering till i get it". I need to nail and I cannot afford to let the camera surprise me.

click on my work and and i allow my work to mean what i say, not just be a petty keyboard warrior.
    i'm not targeting you, just adding on to what you said.

no need to be so defensive. this is a general comment on what you have posted, and is not aimed at you. i am talking about people with cameras as a whole. i'm not sure if you notice that loads of people are asking on clubsnap why they adjust the exposure in their camera (using manual mode) to "0" and they end up getting something that isn't well exposed. that has to do with their lack of understanding of the camera, not whether they used manual mode or auto mode. you can always get a "wrong exposure" when using manual.

i think calling me a "petty keyboard warrior" is quite uncalled, and i can't understand how you have taken this so negatively when i had chosen my words to convey my points in a rather cordial way. let's not drag things like personal work into the discussion - what we are discussing here is philosophical and has little to do with one's personal achievements or abilities.

or are you saying that if i comment on how people buy cars, i must show that i am accident-free, or am a top-class race driver?

my point is that i don't see any reason why people would care if you use auto or manual. if you have a firm understanding of how your camera works - that's the issue here, not whether you used AUTO or MANUAL to achieve excellent results in the end - because that is what people care about in photography. so if you understand your equipment, that's great. i meant my previous post as a public statement to express my points of view, building on a slight disagreement in your previous post. never at any point in time had i chose to (directly or indirectly) loop you into the general example i had given.

are you going to ask the magnum people "do you use auto or manual?", and would you be any less impressed because they say "auto, of course!". therein lies your answer.
    Last edited by night86mare; 2nd December 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I don't use metering either.

First I look for the sun.

If there is no sun I look at North, South, East and West for the source of light and energy.

Then I compare the colour of my skin with the skin of XMM to work out how much to compensate for exposure.

Only then I close my eyes for a second for the flow of energy before I press the button.

so can you tell me where you place the Zone V? I guess must at the chest area...... keke
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    so can you tell me where you place the Zone V? I guess must at the chest area...... keke
    cannot lei, indian and chinese has different zone V on the chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain View Post

What is the diff? Old school dun have histogram and lcd to check.

Different mode is to suit different people and style, there are no the correct or best mode in camera, your experience in your field might not fit into my field of photography.

Understanding yourself, your equipment, your concept and the challage the best mode.

ps, i just a petty keyboard warrior.
    Last edited by Leong23; 2nd December 2010 at 12:41 PM.

Haven't got to the stage of Zone V yet.

My Sifu says after 10 years maybe he teaches me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    ps, i just a petty keyboard warrior.
    I'm a keyboard samurai!

I have 日本刀 to prove it.

The trend now, whether teenagers or not, is for the dslr to be a must-have to so-called shoot better quality pictures than PnS. The DSLRs are very affordable anyway, the teens ask 1k from their parents, the ones at work will just opt for instalment plans at harvey norman (joking ah, not everyone does this!!). Thing is, I've also seen or heard of many who bought their dslr for the sake of "nice holiday/cam-whoring pics" but 1 year on, their interest waned. And their equipment simply collects dust while they opt back for good PnSes when they realise the bulkiness and weight of these cameras compared to PnS.

In my opinion, this is just a trend. Trends die eventually, and only the mighty ones will stand.
    Canon EOS 500D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc
    and the Kop sings, "You'll never walk alone"

Regarding the auto vs manual, or P vs M, I guess anyone's free to use any modes they wish to get the image in the way they want. Ultimately, its these ppl's loss if they don't choose to explore their own equipment or bother learning about it. I've seen too many fb frenz who obviously do not utilise their dslrs well and I find that quite a pity.

Nonetheless, I shall not judge a person's credibility by the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by koplady11 View Post
    The trend now, whether teenagers or not, is for the dslr to be a must-have to so-called shoot better quality pictures than PnS. The DSLRs are very affordable anyway, the teens ask 1k from their parents, the ones at work will just opt for instalment plans at harvey norman (joking ah, not everyone does this!!). Thing is, I've also seen or heard of many who bought their dslr for the sake of "nice holiday/cam-whoring pics" but 1 year on, their interest waned. And their equipment simply collects dust while they opt back for good PnSes when they realise the bulkiness and weight of these cameras compared to PnS.

In my opinion, this is just a trend. Trends die eventually, and only the mighty ones will stand.
    however, do note that with this kind of consumerism, dslr has become a lot more affordable and with even better features. Won't this benefit everyone, manufacturer and consumer (pro or amateur). Plus the benefits of being less conspicuous when we bring out our dslr to take photo given that many people use it to hang around their neck.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    however, do note that with this kind of consumerism, dslr has become a lot more affordable and with even better features. Won't this benefit everyone, manufacturer and consumer (pro or amateur). Plus the benefits of being less conspicuous when we bring out our dslr to take photo given that many people use it to hang around their neck.
    Yes I so agree with you. Benefitting me at least!

But ah, there are still ppl who go "wah, so pro ah wif this kinda camera..." Now I always kana arrowed at work to take pictures for events if I'm not emceeing. !@#%$&*()

Almost all of the people i know that shoots in Auto have no idea on how even the basics of ISO, aperture and shutter speed works.
    When i ask them how come they got a DSLR, most of them said that they wanna take clear pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    Almost all of the people i know that shoots in Auto have no idea on how even the basics of ISO, aperture and shutter speed works.
    When i ask them how come they got a DSLR, most of them said that they wanna take clear pictures.
    very easy to discern...just look for the signs of the person being lost with the controls when the picture doesnt come out as expected.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

can't imagine last time I DID paid nearly $3k for a water bottle size Ta Ker Ta.......
    Is it possible to play "Angry Birds" with that Ta Ker Ta?
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

i have got friends who buy dslrs, not just the so called "entry levels", even extended to d90 and 7d, and most of them just buy and shoot in auto. i even know of someone who bought a used 300D and guess whats the first thing she did? camwhore with it!. not using it to camwhore, literally using it as a prop in the camwhore!

at the same time, i have friends using pns taking better pictures than me

the thing i cant stand is how people associated dslr with "professional". when i tell my dad all the features this camera have over another, or how this lens is much sharper/better etc, he will go like "but you are not a professional, doesnt matter to you". im not saying that i need the latest high end bodies and L lenses, but you dont have to be a "professional" to use all those features in the camera.

i think the majority of bro's and sis here are united by a common passion: making and producing high quality and pleasant photographs which are an expression of our ideas and feelings. i hope everyone gets my point here. not everyone of us here is a "professional", not everyone of us knows how to use "manual mode" as well. but one thing im sure we want is :good quality images.

a creative eye for photography cant be bought, neither can the technical knowhow to operate the camera to acheive the scene in mind.

please note my post is not aiming at anyone, just a rant in general
    Canon EOS 550D|BG-E8|Tamron 17-50 f2.8|18-55mm IS|55-250mm IS|
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Is it possible to play "Angry Birds" with that Ta Ker Ta?
    if you tell the people use that kind of Ta Ker Ta at that time you can do what with your mobile phone today, they may think you are "short circle".

btw, the battery is bigger than any mobile phone today and last not more than a day even it is on standby mode.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by koplady11 View Post
    Yes I so agree with you. Benefitting me at least!

But ah, there are still ppl who go "wah, so pro ah wif this kinda camera..." Now I always kana arrowed at work to take pictures for events if I'm not emceeing. !@#%$&*()
    You just want to sit down and relax at events ah?
    err... will pasting hello kitty stickers makes it less serious looking and hopefully arrow will be pointed at someone else?? joking....
    Last edited by coolthought; 2nd December 2010 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    my outlook is what they said do hold water. You can have better optics and a bigger sensor which in term better iq.

Quote Originally Posted by deathrequiem View Post
    i have got friends who buy dslrs, not just the so called "entry levels", even extended to d90 and 7d, and most of them just buy and shoot in auto. i even know of someone who bought a used 300D and guess whats the first thing she did? camwhore with it!. not using it to camwhore, literally using it as a prop in the camwhore!

at the same time, i have friends using pns taking better pictures than me

the thing i cant stand is how people associated dslr with "professional". when i tell my dad all the features this camera have over another, or how this lens is much sharper/better etc, he will go like "but you are not a professional, doesnt matter to you". im not saying that i need the latest high end bodies and L lenses, but you dont have to be a "professional" to use all those features in the camera.

i think the majority of bro's and sis here are united by a common passion: making and producing high quality and pleasant photographs which are an expression of our ideas and feelings. i hope everyone gets my point here. not everyone of us here is a "professional", not everyone of us knows how to use "manual mode" as well. but one thing im sure we want is :good quality images.

a creative eye for photography cant be bought, neither can the technical knowhow to operate the camera to acheive the scene in mind.

please note my post is not aiming at anyone, just a rant in general
    just let them be. Its their money. At the end of the day, we will know who are the better ones by looking at the photographs.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast