Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 49121314

Thread: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    i am not against people who REALLY use their cameras and sling it along.. I, too, sometimes do that.. What i am saying is that some people don't use them at all.. For them, it is merely the latest "In".. I don't like to see the fact that some people treat DSLR as jewelery.. that's my view.. Camera can be a medium of expression, but in my opinion, they use it as a medium to express their sense of fashion, and certainly not their visual expression.. I think it's the wrong medium to use..

I also don't know how my camera works, i only know how it functions.. so it's like they buy a rolex but don't even know how to read the time.. you don't need to know how the watches work, you buy to use it, right? I am just appalled by the attitude of some (i said some) of these youngsters.. but that's just what i feel, and i am just saying..

But, what to do? i also don't know.. i am merely expressing my thoughts here.. Yes, i sometimes jealous and wish i do have the equipments that they have but are not used by them.. but that is not the reason why i don't like to see this kind of things.. But i am happy with my equipment now, and seriously, i don't wanna compare equipments.. but is it wrong to have that wish that i also can have those newer cameras so easily like them?

I am of no expert in photography.. I am still learning.. I have nothing against using Auto mode or whatever.. If i can use that, why not? As long as i get the picture that i want, or close to what i want, i am happy.. like what i always say, i just disagree (maybe i should use this word) with the way they wrongly treat cameras, they see it as "vintage look" or whatever.. that's all..

But, having said that, i realize also that, hey, this might actually be a good thing to the world photography.. the cameras no longer be seen as exclusive.. society now accepts it more than (i think way more) than before.. and certainly, manufactures do think about this new market segment, which gives them more revenue than before.. this certainly has shifted the marketing of DSLR, and thus more people will be drawn more into it, and certainly, with greater demand, there will generally be a lower price.. and with more revenue, RnD will be more intensified, giving us better and better cameras (PnS and DSLRs and other formats as well) as the days go by.. So, as much as i disagree, i actually like it as well..

cheers
    I know how you feel, I have seen people using 17-40 with their hood yet use the built in flash. I myslef have been struggling to get/maintain/resist-the-urge-to-sell the equipment i need to shoot for assignments yet i see people with more exotic lenses and stuff doing god knows what with their cameras. Live and let live.

The more we ourselves cant get over this, the more we wont be happy. As for me, i just cant wait for my assignment this month so as to be able to acquire what would be my most expensive lens - the ef 85mm.

Even cars can be used as fashion statements, so i dont see why not cameras. But i do agree it can be a huge turn-off if the camera is used primarily just to show off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sispecho View Post
    I know how you feel, I have seen people using 17-40 with their hood yet use the built in flash. I myslef have been struggling to get/maintain/resist-the-urge-to-sell the equipment i need to shoot for assignments yet i see people with more exotic lenses and stuff doing god knows what with their cameras. Live and let live.

The more we ourselves cant get over this, the more we wont be happy. As for me, i just cant wait for my assignment this month so as to be able to acquire what would be my most expensive lens - the ef 85mm.

Even cars can be used as fashion statements, so i dont see why not cameras. But i do agree it can be a huge turn-off if the camera is used primarily just to show off.
    Yup, i am now living with it, and have accepted that fact.. maybe you're right, it is more of a turn off rather than dismay.. i guess i have chosen the wrong words to describe how i feel all along.. what i wanted to tell is that many has been using it to show off rather than really using it.. thanks for that, now i understand where my mistake is in conveying what i feel about this.. wish you get the 85mm soon! let us know when you finally get it!
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Just wanted to put my own opinion down. I feel there is nothing wrong with using auto mode, because the key ingredient of a photo is the subject, the composition, and the soul el. story. If one takes great photos in auto mode, then all's good! That said, I'm in M mode 95% of the time and I don't rely on the metering that much.

arikyeo:

Well I've taken the liberty to at least look through all your 105 photos, since you actually uploaded them and linked them.

I second lonewolf in saying that you should chill and reflect. Seeing that you are still young, it's better to acknowledge your mistake and get inputs from others. I know it's easy to get defensive online, it's my nature also, but at least, value the opinions from others even though you might disagree, otherwise you'll just be a frog in a well.

What I feel about your photos (not much different from the others):
    1) The composition for most of the photos can be better. A few are okay, but that's what I would call hit-n-miss. That's okay, cause even Pros don't get it right all the time. First thing you need to learn : bin the photos that are bad. ala, binning If you don't push yourself to reevaluate your photos and exercise binning it will be hard to improve.

2) Exposure, hit-n-miss. Plenty of blown highlights everywhere. People don't really care if you're working with available light or not. Bad lighting is bad lighting. I would take a fill-in flash anyday, even if it's built-in. I'm not sure what's your rational but start saving up for a flashgun if you want to keep this up (events). Again, learn some binning

I'd say good attempt at high-speed photography. I saw the Exif some pages back, if I didn't remember wrongly, you used 1/4000 on some photo? In any case, even if you want to underexpose the ambient lighting, my personal opinion is that you should not have underexposed the human skin that much. Again, save up for a flashgun for some flash stopping action, it works better than trying extreme shutter speeds like this.

Just..my two cents. I thought I should PM you for courtesy but I don't have the energy to have a long discussion.

Up at unearthly hours to "study", but end up on clubsnap...zzz..

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 49121314