Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3811121314 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 263

Thread: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

  1. #241
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    isnt that what they want in the first place?
    isnt that what we want anyways?

    when those jokers buy, find out that their lens "suddenly cannot shoot sharp", they wont consider its them who suck and dunno how to focus. they will blame its the lens fault, lens got CA, AA ,BA, soft, hard, jelly, creep, crawl, fly.

    and they sell it at cs 2nd hand for dirt cheap, with warranty still attached.

    all for less than one quarter price.

    we win

  2. #242

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Some buy DSLR to try out.. if they dont like it, they can always sell it later on, but some might eventually learn and explore its functions and move into photography. i used a p&n for many years, then i use A80 which has manual functions.. but lots of constraints and i sold it off, then i use a p&s again.. then finally when the price of DSLR drops like crazy, i get one which i can afford and i really appreciate having a DSLR lol.

    So long they are happy to buy, manufacturers are also happy to sell.

    Photography is meant to be happy rite LOL!

  3. #243

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    haha we cant do much lar. except to shoot more and get our photos right.

    often, i find that we can work about the limitations of our cameras...

    for instance: if i'm using a 450d, would i push it to shoot extreme conditions such as fast action sports or super low light situations? no. cause i know the limitations, i know what it can and cannot do.

    by understanding the limitations, you can then shift your focus into something you can do! perhaps landscapes are one. good outdoor events are another.

    if u know how far u can push ur equipments, and u know how to manipulate them rather than being manipulated by them, i think its possible to still get acceptable shots
    Yep2, this is what i am doing right now.. You are the captain of your soul, you are the mastr of your fate (and your DSLR) <- nelson mandela..

    Quote Originally Posted by arikyeo View Post
    Then if dslrs are getting so cheap, and parents know the children are only using it as a fashion accessory, why don't they just buy a d70 or a eos d60? They are extremely cheap here in b&s, so they won't burn a big hole in their pocket, and the children will be happy that they have a dslr to flaunt.
    Cus many of them don't even know what DSLR stands for, how to know the model from 5 years ago? they only see what the current advertisements are.. Heck, if you are talking about cheap bodies in B&S section here, question yourself, how many of these kids know CS? not all of them, only a few who are dedicated to their hobby..

    Quote Originally Posted by arikyeo View Post
    No use swallowing saliva... take a look at the eos 1000d, it has exactly the same spec as a 400d... In fact you can say its a rebranded 400d!

    I do know of people who still continue to hold a dslr like a pns.
    Dude, why can't i swallow my saliva when i can't afford what i NEED but these kids got what they WANT easily.. honestly, i am jealous, i need something that others can afford so easily, without even knowing what the thing does..

    If I could only choose between a brand new 1000D and a 20D which has big user marks, cosmetic ugliness but the shutter has just been changed, I would pick the 20D...
    i will pick whatever suits me.. whatever does the job i want it to do.. but obviously the kids don't know why the heck we choose like that, all they care is the latest gadget, shiny and "fashionable"..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  4. #244
    Member Sispecho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    I still dont understand what the big fuss is about..

    If others want to use it as a fashion accessory then its up to them. No big deal. I have a quartz watch but i dnt knw how it works either.

    And when i go out, i don't like to put my camera in the bag either. I sling it all along. Its just theirs and my preferance so i dnt see why we should get so touchy about it. I go in the bus with my cam as well. I use the kit lens on normal days as well and sometimes I camwhore with my cameras as well taking those 'pop-up flash' pictures. Its like me saying to people like to keep their cameras in their bags,

    "Eh you bring your camera+lens so many keep inside bag but got take any pics or not? Just to collect dust is it?"
    Thats just disrespectful. I do respect that others might not want to dirty/scratch/lower resale value/sayang their camera, because they feel attached to it. Its their medium of expression and has already been a part of our photography, of course we sayang it.

    But to me, its different. Its a hassle, and certain juxtapositions/scenes/expressions present themselves for not very long and thats where you have the camera handy. And no, its not like u have to calculate the perfect exposure exposure in that split second... Who in the world goes out and keeps taking measurements/estimations, and then go about adjusting the dials of the camera? For my shooting, i just try to recall the settings on the last frame and adjust through 'guesstimation' the exposure giving due consideration lighting. Most of the times i dnt even look at the values. Just a quick dial and then i concentrate on my composition and waiting for the moment to click thats all. Sometimes I get it, sometimes i dont. I shoot on two systems, Canon and Olympus, and the important thing is for you to fly through your cam settings to get what you want no matter the brand. To do that you need to know your camera. That may be the noob way to do it or the 'unprofessional' (whatever that means) methodology, but i get the pictures i want, and im happy with it so far, so no complains. Just use the bleddy thing and have fun already, keeping envious eyes only to ourselves.

    But i do admit that things are definitely easier now than the film days where you just pray hard that you calculate correctly (using guesstimation by experience, or the flash table) the appropriate amount of flash especially when you bounce. You get better through every roll u develop, but thing is with film, many people do not even wanna shoot that much, so how are they to learn? Do we want to go back to the exclusive world of 'photography only for the elite'?

    Regardless of equipment can we just have fun shooting and stop 'beaching' (a 'not-really-pun' intended) about what others do or dont?

  5. #245
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sispecho View Post

    Regardless of equipment can we just have fun shooting and stop 'beaching' (a 'not-really-pun' intended) about what others do or dont?
    sour grapes, jealousy, is often the reason for the whining. there is ur ans

  6. #246
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    sour grapes, jealousy, is often the reason for the whining. there is ur ans
    +1000

    it is much easier to point fingers at others

  7. #247

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Today is a fine day. I'm going out to take some pictures.

  8. #248
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Anyway, if you use the auto mode on a DSLR, the image quality would still be better than any compact camera.

    So, let's rephrase it, people who use auto mode on a DSLR are people who want better image quality but not better photographs.
    Last edited by ArcticFox; 5th December 2010 at 11:02 AM.

  9. #249
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    Anyway, if you use the auto mode on a DSLR, the image quality would still be better than any compact camera.

    So, let's rephrase it, people who use auto mode on a DSLR are people who want better image quality but not better photographs.

    i take a 350d. i put beside the latest lumix. auto on 350d> lumix.




    image quality is determined by the technology. the latest baddest machine always has the highest quality. doesnt have to be a dslr.

  10. #250

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    For me I use DSLR for indoor shots , because of the bounce flash. For travelling I just use a P&S for the convenience.

  11. #251

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sispecho View Post
    I still dont understand what the big fuss is about..

    If others want to use it as a fashion accessory then its up to them. No big deal. I have a quartz watch but i dnt knw how it works either.

    And when i go out, i don't like to put my camera in the bag either. I sling it all along. Its just theirs and my preferance so i dnt see why we should get so touchy about it. I go in the bus with my cam as well. I use the kit lens on normal days as well and sometimes I camwhore with my cameras as well taking those 'pop-up flash' pictures. Its like me saying to people like to keep their cameras in their bags,

    "Eh you bring your camera+lens so many keep inside bag but got take any pics or not? Just to collect dust is it?"
    Thats just disrespectful. I do respect that others might not want to dirty/scratch/lower resale value/sayang their camera, because they feel attached to it. Its their medium of expression and has already been a part of our photography, of course we sayang it.

    But to me, its different. Its a hassle, and certain juxtapositions/scenes/expressions present themselves for not very long and thats where you have the camera handy. And no, its not like u have to calculate the perfect exposure exposure in that split second... Who in the world goes out and keeps taking measurements/estimations, and then go about adjusting the dials of the camera? For my shooting, i just try to recall the settings on the last frame and adjust through 'guesstimation' the exposure giving due consideration lighting. Most of the times i dnt even look at the values. Just a quick dial and then i concentrate on my composition and waiting for the moment to click thats all. Sometimes I get it, sometimes i dont. I shoot on two systems, Canon and Olympus, and the important thing is for you to fly through your cam settings to get what you want no matter the brand. To do that you need to know your camera. That may be the noob way to do it or the 'unprofessional' (whatever that means) methodology, but i get the pictures i want, and im happy with it so far, so no complains. Just use the bleddy thing and have fun already, keeping envious eyes only to ourselves.

    But i do admit that things are definitely easier now than the film days where you just pray hard that you calculate correctly (using guesstimation by experience, or the flash table) the appropriate amount of flash especially when you bounce. You get better through every roll u develop, but thing is with film, many people do not even wanna shoot that much, so how are they to learn? Do we want to go back to the exclusive world of 'photography only for the elite'?

    Regardless of equipment can we just have fun shooting and stop 'beaching' (a 'not-really-pun' intended) about what others do or dont?
    i am not against people who REALLY use their cameras and sling it along.. I, too, sometimes do that.. What i am saying is that some people don't use them at all.. For them, it is merely the latest "In".. I don't like to see the fact that some people treat DSLR as jewelery.. that's my view.. Camera can be a medium of expression, but in my opinion, they use it as a medium to express their sense of fashion, and certainly not their visual expression.. I think it's the wrong medium to use..

    I also don't know how my camera works, i only know how it functions.. so it's like they buy a rolex but don't even know how to read the time.. you don't need to know how the watches work, you buy to use it, right? I am just appalled by the attitude of some (i said some) of these youngsters.. but that's just what i feel, and i am just saying..

    But, what to do? i also don't know.. i am merely expressing my thoughts here.. Yes, i sometimes jealous and wish i do have the equipments that they have but are not used by them.. but that is not the reason why i don't like to see this kind of things.. But i am happy with my equipment now, and seriously, i don't wanna compare equipments.. but is it wrong to have that wish that i also can have those newer cameras so easily like them?

    I am of no expert in photography.. I am still learning.. I have nothing against using Auto mode or whatever.. If i can use that, why not? As long as i get the picture that i want, or close to what i want, i am happy.. like what i always say, i just disagree (maybe i should use this word) with the way they wrongly treat cameras, they see it as "vintage look" or whatever.. that's all..

    But, having said that, i realize also that, hey, this might actually be a good thing to the world photography.. the cameras no longer be seen as exclusive.. society now accepts it more than (i think way more) than before.. and certainly, manufactures do think about this new market segment, which gives them more revenue than before.. this certainly has shifted the marketing of DSLR, and thus more people will be drawn more into it, and certainly, with greater demand, there will generally be a lower price.. and with more revenue, RnD will be more intensified, giving us better and better cameras (PnS and DSLRs and other formats as well) as the days go by.. So, as much as i disagree, i actually like it as well..

    cheers
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  12. #252
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    RnD will be more intensified, giving us better and better cameras (PnS and DSLRs and other formats as well) as the days go by.. So, as much as i disagree, i actually like it as well..
    u have seen the light

  13. #253

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    u have seen the light
    I actually have seen that from the first time.. i said that before earlier in the thread..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  14. #254
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by boxboxbox View Post
    so many jealous people around, dslr is affordable so what is the big deal with owning one. And what is so proud about using manuel mode? I feel that proper composition and moment is more important regardless of whatever mode you are using.
    Jealous about?

    Affordable is one thing. There are loads of affordable things. For me, i'm alright with many people using dslr but the thing i cant stand is trend followers. I like koi bubble tea but i cant stand those fan boy fan girls. So obviously i get annoyed when people say "wah dslr sure nice one the picture". Then i'm like "sorry i'm still learning how to compose my shots" then they go "huh".

    Its ok to follow trend and be blah in your miserable life, really. Trend followers are businessmen's favourites.
    Last edited by nitewalk; 6th December 2010 at 08:41 AM.

  15. #255

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by boxboxbox View Post
    so many jealous people around, dslr is affordable so what is the big deal with owning one. And what is so proud about using manuel mode? I feel that proper composition and moment is more important regardless of whatever mode you are using.
    affordability is a relative term.. there is no big deal about owning one.. go ahead and use one..
    after using M mode for quite sometimes due to the fact that, with all my financial limitations, i can only afford manual lenses that doesn't support TTL metering, i think i pretty much miss the auto and semi auto modes.. i am not proud of using M-mode, i will only be proud if i can master it and always get decent pictures with it, which i obviously can't do it now..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  16. #256
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    affordability is a relative term.. there is no big deal about owning one.. go ahead and use one..
    after using M mode for quite sometimes due to the fact that, with all my financial limitations, i can only afford manual lenses that doesn't support TTL metering, i think i pretty much miss the auto and semi auto modes.. i am not proud of using M-mode, i will only be proud if i can master it and always get decent pictures with it, which i obviously can't do it now..
    actually got trick one. metering doesnt matter even if ur on manual lens. set it to aperture priority and they will do the shutter for ya... in any case, there is always soemthing called histogram where u can look and judge. hope this helps

  17. #257

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    actually got trick one. metering doesnt matter even if ur on manual lens. set it to aperture priority and they will do the shutter for ya... in any case, there is always soemthing called histogram where u can look and judge. hope this helps
    doesn't work on my cam maybe because i use adapter? yeah, the histogram and PP
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  18. #258
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Commonwealth
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Hi CSers,
    After reading through this thread, I do find that we did a lot of bashing against each other throughout the pages.
    Maybe it's because inside each of us we have a burning passion for photography that scorches each other without much care.
    Be it a better lens or camera, your personnal preference of shooting, old school or new school, isn't it all the same.
    We just want to make our pictures better than when we picked up our first camera.
    It is a reasonably good day today considering the unpredictable weather we have been experiencing in sg recently.
    Shall we forget about the bickering that we have exchanged and take our beloved cameras out for a shoot.

    arikyeo, I can see you have taken most of the fury from the rest in this thread, take a nice cold drink and give it a thought over.
    Growth sometimes is not just vertical, but can be horizontal too unless you become a size 42

    night86mare and Leong23, please cut arikyeo a break.
    Being Senior Member sometimes mean your passion for photography have advanced to a stage where you would love to pay it forward by guiding the juniors.
    The harsh methods we have to endure in school don't go down easy for each of us, so perhaps it is similar to what we are experiencing in this thread.

    Leong23, maybe you can mentor me when you are free. I'm still in my infant stage of photography.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...91#post6748291

  19. #259
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by loneWolff View Post
    Leong23, maybe you can mentor me when you are free. I'm still in my infant stage of photography.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...91#post6748291
    I believe in 缘, maybe someday.

  20. #260
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Commonwealth
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

    Thank you Leong23,
    If fate decreed and our paths cross, do have patience and show me more care than usual as I'm old and am a slow learner.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3811121314 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •