Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 LastLast

Thread: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

Back to the topic,

The DSLR marketing have sucessfully make people believe that having a good pro L lens will become a season photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor937 View Post
    I don't see the problem with using Auto. It's simple and fuss free just the way I like it.

I use auto just like I use any of the other settings on my camera.

To me getting "the shot" is more important than the settings or equipment being used. If I use auto and I get the shot I want. Does that make me any less of a photographer than a guy who uses manual and not get the shot he wants?

It's not about your camera. It's about vision, seeing, and imagination. It's about playing like a kid to see what you can see from new places.

It's not about autofocus menus or exposure modes. It's all about line, texture, balance, emphasis, color, shape, curve and a million other things that actually make an image worthwhile.

Just my $0.02
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    "i composed this picture badly because it was personal preference"

"i ate this piece of dung because it's personal preference"

a

aye aye, captain, please carry on with your personal preference.
    Yarrrr... but :bsmile: at yr 'ate a pile of dung' though its a little extremist...

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    The fact is

Your photo is lousy.
    Your attitude is lousy.
    You have no logic.
    You think you are season photographer.
    You think other are just crappy photographer.
    You think kit lens only can produce crappy photo.
    You think your L lens is the best.

The very fact is, if you don't crawl out from your tiny well and see the world, you will never catch up with the world.

The problem with you is that you keep giving lame excuse, never want to admit your mistake.

Go and study "photography" first, before talking big and look like a fool here.
    1) I didn't say that I think I'm a seasoned PG
    2) I only said that the previous gen kit lens is lousy; I didn't say the current gen of kit lens is lousy; it is 100x better than the previous gen mk II lens.
    3) I didn't say my lens is the best, I have seen better ones but I'm contented with it

Read all posts before commenting next time, don't malu yourself. Do you need me to requote what I've posted?
    Last edited by arikyeo; 4th December 2010 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arikyeo View Post
    1) I didn't say that I think I'm a seasoned PG
    2) I only said that the previous gen kit lens is lousy; I didn't say the current gen of kit lens is lousy; it is 100x better than the previous gen mk II lens.
    3) I didn't say my lens is the best, I have seen better ones but I'm contented with it

Read all posts before commenting next time, don't malu yourself. Do you need me to requote what I've posted?
    That is your biggest problem, never admit mistake.

Self-pwn and malu yourself again.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=65

Agreed. Though the big difference that sets us seasoned PGs to those "want face" prople is that we have different lenses from them. They have crappy kit lens, we have high quality ones (For canon users like me, its L lenses)... They treat the dslrs like PnS.
    Last edited by Leong23; 4th December 2010 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor937 View Post
    I don't see the problem with using Auto. It's simple and fuss free just the way I like it.

I use auto just like I use any of the other settings on my camera.

To me getting "the shot" is more important than the settings or equipment being used. If I use auto and I get the shot I want. Does that make me any less of a photographer than a guy who uses manual and not get the shot he wants?

It's not about your camera. It's about vision, seeing, and imagination. It's about playing like a kid to see what you can see from new places.

It's not about autofocus menus or exposure modes. It's all about line, texture, balance, emphasis, color, shape, curve and a million other things that actually make an image worthwhile.

Just my $0.02

gosh.. i didn't open CS for one day and this thread has become this looooooooooonnngggggg!!!!!

anyway, i shoot in M modes cus i got no other option, using pentax lenses, one with fungus , with adapter really denies the ability to use any other modes..

Before i sold all my AF lenses (to fund personal needs), i learned composition using Auto or P-mode, cus it lets me concentrate not on the setting but on the composition..
    learning the concept of DOF using A-mode..
    learned how to get creamy water with S-mode..
    now i have to learn all using M modes, which honestly,is really tough.. (i am dreaming of using auto or semi auto mode now!!!!)
    i am very much a newbie that's why i turn to PP for HELP.. photoscape is a good starting software.. it's free also.. GIMP and Picasa as well.. ViewNX have some abilities to do PP if i'm not wrong, free from nikon website..

we are not making fun of personal preference.. but, we are trying to correct each other the misunderstanding of concept that some of use might have, including me.. it is never too early to be mature in thinking, and it is never too late to learn something.. we sometimes need to be flexible in the way we think..

as much as i disagree with the idea of DSLRs being the new fashion accessories, i enjoy this phenomenon as well, it really brings down the price of DSLRs.. i remembered the first time D70 came out, it was priced at $1999.. now, D90 is less than that, brand new.. how much is D70 now? around $350? yeah, consumerism actually can benefit the ones that really use the products at times..
    Last edited by bayusuputra; 4th December 2010 at 03:54 AM.
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    there are the rare few who knows what they are doing. but i wont deny a large majority of my counterparts are doing what u say.

what can we do? rich parents
    hehe, yeah, what can we do? for me, i just swallow my saliva looking at the nice gadget that they have.. btw, i wanted to say in general, there are instances like art students who happened to be really fashionable and at the same time a hobbyist as well..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    hehe, yeah, what can we do? for me, i just swallow my saliva looking at the nice gadget that they have.. btw, i wanted to say in general, there are instances like art students who happened to be really fashionable and at the same time a hobbyist as well..
    haha we cant do much lar. except to shoot more and get our photos right.

often, i find that we can work about the limitations of our cameras...

for instance: if i'm using a 450d, would i push it to shoot extreme conditions such as fast action sports or super low light situations? no. cause i know the limitations, i know what it can and cannot do.

by understanding the limitations, you can then shift your focus into something you can do! perhaps landscapes are one. good outdoor events are another.

if u know how far u can push ur equipments, and u know how to manipulate them rather than being manipulated by them, i think its possible to still get acceptable shots

gosh.. i didn't open CS for one day and this thread has become this looooooooooonnngggggg!!!!!

anyway, i shoot in M modes cus i got no other option, using pentax lenses, one with fungus , with adapter really denies the ability to use any other modes..

Before i sold all my AF lenses (to fund personal needs), i learned composition using Auto or P-mode, cus it lets me concentrate not on the setting but on the composition..
    learning the concept of DOF using A-mode..
    learned how to get creamy water with S-mode..
    now i have to learn all using M modes, which honestly,is really tough.. (i am dreaming of using auto or semi auto mode now!!!!)
    i am very much a newbie that's why i turn to PP for HELP.. photoscape is a good starting software.. it's free also.. GIMP and Picasa as well.. ViewNX have some abilities to do PP if i'm not wrong, free from nikon website..

we are not making fun of personal preference.. but, we are trying to correct each other the misunderstanding of concept that some of use might have, including me.. it is never too early to be mature in thinking, and it is never too late to learn something.. we sometimes need to be flexible in the way we think..

as much as i disagree with the idea of DSLRs being the new fashion accessories, i enjoy this phenomenon as well, it really brings down the price of DSLRs.. i remembered the first time D70 came out, it was priced at $1999.. now, D90 is less than that, brand new.. how much is D70 now? around $350? yeah, consumerism actually can benefit the ones that really use the products at times..
    Then if dslrs are getting so cheap, and parents know the children are only using it as a fashion accessory, why don't they just buy a d70 or a eos d60? They are extremely cheap here in b&s, so they won't burn a big hole in their pocket, and the children will be happy that they have a dslr to flaunt.

That is your biggest problem, never admit mistake.

Self-pwn and malu yourself again.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=65
    I may have been wrong at this point but dosent mean that I'm wrong on the other points. Haiz

I prefer to ensure all my images are what you will see if you were in that scene, matching exposure to what you will actually see. Its my preference, don't poke/ bicker about it. How would you feel if (for example) you prefer to use your hands to eat, and I mock at you saying that you have no dining etiquette? I would be willing to accept critism, suggestion, feedback but not people making fun of personal preference. If you want to poke at other people's personal preference please find a group of friends who share the same thoughts, and find another place to bicker. I don't want to see clubsnap turn into a place where people mock at each other just because we have different preferences.
    Bro, you have to accept that in order for your photos to be unique, you don't have to always make your photos look exactly like what people see. Oftentimes, photographers take on different perspectives (e.g. going low, using wide and tele instead of normal) to make their photos look unique, and make people go "hey I've never seen that before". If all your photos look exactly like what one would see, after a while they get boring. With a 50mm prime, you must really challenge yourself to get something unique, through composition, pattern etc. because if you just shoot normally, it will just look boring.
    Then if dslrs are getting so cheap, and parents know the children are only using it as a fashion accessory, why don't they just buy a d70 or a eos d60? They are extremely cheap here in b&s, so they won't burn a big hole in their pocket, and the children will be happy that they have a dslr to flaunt.
    Actually if my kid will only use it as a fashion accessory, I wouldn't even buy it, no matter how rich I am. If I'm not sure, then a D5000/550D level. If I'm very sure my kid would be interested, I would either pass on my gear to him/her when I'm upgrading, or get a D7000/60D level. D70 may be cheap, but 60D is not that cheap, especially if you compare it to 1000D (I think it's going to be discontinued soon, or is it already discontinued?)
    Last edited by brapodam; 4th December 2010 at 08:59 AM.

No use swallowing saliva... take a look at the eos 1000d, it has exactly the same spec as a 400d... In fact you can say its a rebranded 400d!

I do know of people who still continue to hold a dslr like a pns.

If I could only choose between a brand new 1000D and a 20D which has big user marks, cosmetic ugliness but the shutter has just been changed, I would pick the 20D...

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Bro, you have to accept that in order for your photos to be unique, you don't have to always make your photos look exactly like what people see. Oftentimes, photographers take on different perspectives (e.g. going low, using wide and tele instead of normal) to make their photos look unique, and make people go "hey I've never seen that before". If all your photos look exactly like what one would see, after a while they get boring. With a 50mm prime, you must really challenge yourself to get something unique, through composition, pattern etc. because if you just shoot normally, it will just look boring.

Actually if my kid will only use it as a fashion accessory, I wouldn't even buy it, no matter how rich I am. If I'm not sure, then a D5000/550D level. If I'm very sure my kid would be interested, I would either pass on my gear to him/her when I'm upgrading, or get a D7000/60D level. D70 may be cheap, but 60D is not that cheap, especially if you compare it to 1000D (I think it's going to be discontinued soon, or is it already discontinued?)
    I meant the eos d60, released in 2002 I think. Eos d60 and the eos 60d are entirely different...

I meant the eos d60, released in 2002 I think. Eos d60 and the eos 60d are entirely different...
    Ah, my bad, didn't know there were Canon cameras starting with D (and not ending with it). But it's too outdated imo, like the D70. I'd rather go for D3100

Back to the topic,

The DSLR marketing have sucessfully make people believe that having a good pro L lens will become a season photographer.
    you mean, if they indulge in their personal preferences?

yes, of course!

I may have been wrong at this point but dosent mean that I'm wrong on the other points. Haiz
    being wrong usually is a habit on cs.

Ah, my bad, didn't know there were Canon cameras starting with D (and not ending with it). But it's too outdated imo, like the D70. I'd rather go for D3100
    There's a trend these days with the extremely entry level cameras: They are just rebranded versions of dslrs many years ago... Just like the 1000D. It has exactly teh same specs as 400D, abeit with slight modifications. The D3100/D5000 is no different, I have not much knowledge on Nikon so I can't comment on what was its parent, but I know for sure its a rebranded version of some dslr few years back, with software tweaks to capture images at 30fps burst, and a swivel screen and an additional mike. It's easy profit...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    being wrong usually is a habit on cs.

Hmm... Maybe for the next gathering on 13 Dec I wanna do landscape panorama... Which ND filter do you recommend?

BTW, anyone wanna join my trip?

Back to the topic,

isnt that what they want in the first place?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 LastLast