Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

Default Re: Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

Quote Originally Posted by arikyeo View Post
    $100 may not mean much to you, but $100 can buy me a lot of stuff, or add on to my lens bank...

$100 can buy me
    -1 Battery grip for my 400D, or
    -4 OEM batteries for my DSLR, or
    -2 hoya HD UV filter, 58mm, or
    -2-3 Macro converters, or
    -1 secondhand 50mm f1.8, or
    -1 secondhand KIT I lens, or
    -1 Year of webhosting
    etc...

All those can benefit my pictures/me too...

I'm currently trying to download Gimp, see if its as effective as you recommended...
    I'm not sure how many school events you shot, but generally, what (imo) are most important for school events are:

1. Normal zoom lens (kit lens is fine, a f2.8 one like a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM would be great) - you need wide and normal
    2. Flash with diffuser or bounce card - many events use school hall, and flash is usually needed, even with a f2.8 lens
    3. Tele zoom (55-200/55-250 would be fine, 70-200 f4 if got more budget, 70-200 f2.8 IS if too rich)

The rest (fast prime, batt grip etc) are optional, and not the most important - flexibility is important.

But of course, you have other interests in photography, which is fine.

1. Battery grip: really not needed unless you have a heavy lens. If you need better ergonomics a higher end body would be better than low end body + grip
    2. Spare batteries: usually not needed unless on a full day shoot
    3. UV filters: important, yes, but if your current lenses already have filters, then you'll be wasting your money getting more filters
    4. Macro converters: you need a flash first, if you are going into macro
    5. A 50/1.8 - you have a 50/1.4
    6. Kit lens - you should have bought it in the first place, a general zoom lens is always great (not to mention its range is the most used)
    7. Webhosting - you are not getting clients yet, so use flickr first, then when you actually have better shots, look into paid webhosting

Just trying to help, there is really no point getting all these spare equipment when you don't even have what is most important. You need to prioritise, not get anything that reviews say are great. And by the way, most review sites say the kit lens is the most value for money lens which provides excellent image quality for its price. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    erm. i'm a student like u. i understand the restrictions. nightmare understands also. i work part time as a construction worker, doing painting, installing toilets etc if i need the money to fund my purchases...

i guess its the attitude. i spend over 3 months saving for my nd110 which i'm finally getting tmr at 115.
    How did you find lobang to work as construction worker? I'm not really in that kind of "profession", but most of the computer repair shops in SLS and other places say that I have to be at least 17 before I can find work... Then some more, those "services wanted" over here are getting worse... Many times I quoted $15-20 per hour and then I cannot get the job because someone quoted $3 per hour! Too cheap liao...

So far the only ones I can find is Macdonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I'm not sure how many school events you shot, but generally, what (imo) are most important for school events are:

1. Normal zoom lens (kit lens is fine, a f2.8 one like a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM would be great) - you need wide and normal
    2. Flash with diffuser or bounce card - many events use school hall, and flash is usually needed, even with a f2.8 lens
    3. Tele zoom (55-200/55-250 would be fine, 70-200 f4 if got more budget, 70-200 f2.8 IS if too rich)

The rest (fast prime, batt grip etc) are optional, and not the most important - flexibility is important.

But of course, you have other interests in photography, which is fine.

1. Battery grip: really not needed unless you have a heavy lens. If you need better ergonomics a higher end body would be better than low end body + grip
    2. Spare batteries: usually not needed unless on a full day shoot
    3. UV filters: important, yes, but if your current lenses already have filters, then you'll be wasting your money getting more filters
    4. Macro converters: you need a flash first, if you are going into macro
    5. A 50/1.8 - you have a 50/1.4
    6. Kit lens - you should have bought it in the first place, a general zoom lens is always great (not to mention its range is the most used)
    7. Webhosting - you are not getting clients yet, so use flickr first, then when you actually have better shots, look into paid webhosting

Just trying to help, there is really no point getting all these spare equipment when you don't even have what is most important. You need to prioritise, not get anything that reviews say are great. And by the way, most review sites say the kit lens is the most value for money lens which provides excellent image quality for its price. Just saying.
    Flickr banned me because "My IP has been suspected to have numerous suspicious connections to our site"... Then when I made a call to Flickr demanding a better explanation they say that the server automatically ban me because I used too much of their bandwidth, and they will override it at their next maintenance... So for now I'm banned.

And I'm trying to go to commercial photography, because the school's getting very unfair (I don't want to reveal yet, if you really wanna know drop me a pm), only overwhelmed by super cheap PG
    Last edited by arikyeo; 3rd December 2010 at 04:45 PM.

Blog Entries

How did you find lobang to work as construction worker? I'm not really in that kind of "profession", but most of the computer repair shops in SLS and other places say that I have to be at least 17 before I can find work... Then some more, those "services wanted" over here are getting worse... Many times I quoted $15-20 per hour and then I cannot get the job because someone quoted $3 per hour! Too cheap liao...

So far the only ones I can find is Macdonalds.
    u sure u want? one day 30 bucks. 8-6. thats 3 bucks per hour.

Blog Entries

And I'm trying to go to commercial photography, because the school's getting very unfair (I don't want to reveal yet, if you really wanna know drop me a pm), only overwhelmed by super cheap PG
    dunneed reveal ur sch name. jsut tell us what happened by "very unfair"

u sure u want? one day 30 bucks. 8-6. thats 3 bucks per hour.
    If I really can't find a white-collar job than I don't mind... I'd rather do this 3 buck per hour job than to do a 3 bucks per hour photography job. If my dslr breaks that day I'll suffer more losses.

Flickr banned me because "My IP has been suspected to have numerous suspicious connections to our site"... Then when I made a call to Flickr demanding a better explanation they say that the server automatically ban me because I used too much of their bandwidth, and they will override it at their next maintenance... So for now I'm banned.

If you want to go to commercial photography, you still need experience and a portfolio - something I believe shooting for the school can give you. I don't know why you need to be so secretive about how the school is unfair to you, you don't need to reveal your school's name.

dunneed reveal ur sch name. jsut tell us what happened by "very unfair"
    1) They take the images, brand it as taken by school staff/ my CCA president/ my cca teacher than use it whatever they like, without permission. But before that got a form I must sign, saying that the school must ask permission from me before using it, and I own the pics. When I took the form to them & demanded an explanation, they say "I've never signed anything, go away"...

2) They promised to give me CIP hours, but they didn't give the full hours... For example the last event I was supposed to get 8 hrs but only reflected as 2 hrs... When I tried to clarify they deny...

3) They've done this to 2-3 of my friends who sign up as "Official School PG"

4) They don't develop the field of photography, they don't provide web host, my old trainer wanted to give us web hosting but he left and lost in touch with us...

4) No use complaining because you can't find any more evidence apart from this

All this happened during the last event. Before they changed the cca heads, and before the good ol' trainer quit because he wasn't happy with the school. Apparently they didn;t stick to the agreement...

So... Suan le, no use complaining... I will be getting out of the cca and the programme in 3 months time... Will always remember their corrupted faces
    Last edited by arikyeo; 3rd December 2010 at 05:05 PM.

Blog Entries

1) They take the images, brand it as taken by school staff/ my CCA president/ my cca teacher than use it whatever they like, without permission. But before that got a form I must sign, saying that the school must ask permission from me before using it, and I own the pics. When I took the form to them & demanded an explanation, they say "I've never signed anything, go away"...

2) They promised to give me CIP hours, but they didn't give the full hours... For example the last event I was supposed to get 8 hrs but only reflected as 2 hrs... When I tried to clarify they deny...

3) They've done this to 2-3 of my friends who sign up as "Official School PG"

4) They don't develop the field of photography, they don't provide web host, my old trainer wanted to give us web hosting but he left and lost in touch with us...

4) No use complaining because you can't find any more evidence apart from this

All this happened during the last event. Before they changed the cca heads, and before the good ol' trainer quit because he wasn't happy with the school. Apparently they didn;t stick to the agreement...

So... Suan le, no use complaining... I will be getting out of the cca and the programme in 3 months time... Will always remember their corrupted faces
    thats all?

chea. i thought what. thats like nothing. wanna hear mine?

we shoot. sch dun even ask permission, we dun even sign anything. we just give the photos to sch. end of story.

what webhosting? what cip hours? my sch's club doesnt have any.

anyways its ur sch for gawd's sake. if u are volunteering cause of cip hours, something is very wrong.

if ur club is like the one in my sch, a service club, then i dun see why u wanna complain. we only have 3 sets of nikkon consumer dslrs. and we are still developing decently.

point is, why would u need webhosting? why ask for more cip hours? perhaps you are overly demanding thats my view.

thats all?

chea. i thought what. thats like nothing. wanna hear mine?

we shoot. sch dun even ask permission, we dun even sign anything. we just give the photos to sch. end of story.

what webhosting? what cip hours? my sch's club doesnt have any.

anyways its ur sch for gawd's sake. if u are volunteering cause of cip hours, something is very wrong.

if ur club is like the one in my sch, a service club, then i dun see why u wanna complain. we only have 3 sets of nikkon consumer dslrs. and we are still developing decently.

point is, why would u need webhosting? why ask for more cip hours? perhaps you are overly demanding thats my view.
    No, I didn't demand. They promised it, and they broke their promises. My school dosen't even have DSLRs, we have to use our own. I do have ex-primary school classmates from other schools whose school provides free web hosting, even develops their photography skills. I've made the wrong choice...
    Last edited by arikyeo; 3rd December 2010 at 05:17 PM.

Blog Entries

btw, thread has oted too much. i think i made my point clear alraedy. so now my turn to get out of here

btw, thread has oted too much. i think i made my point clear alraedy. so now my turn to get out of here
    Me too... I'm outta here. Currently trying to make a reverse macro filter... Not bragging here but I'll post a thread when I'm done.
    Last edited by arikyeo; 3rd December 2010 at 05:40 PM.

btw just a tip for you, you mentioned shooting at f2.5,

in this kind of scenario i will really just shoot wide open if i need the speed, not considering depth of field and all, but we have to be flexible. i know my kit lens sharpest point is somewhere between f7-f8, but i cant use this kind of settings in for example low light handheld right?

sometimes we cannot get everything we want, just try to settle and compromise and make the best out of your equiptment. this is where PP comes in, fill in the gap from your equiptment limitations, to the end product that you visualise in your head
    Canon EOS 550D|BG-E8|Tamron 17-50 f2.8|18-55mm IS|55-250mm IS|
    Flickr

arikyeo, it's your school for goodness sake! Are you expecting to be paid or something? Take the events as a chance for exposure, brushing up your skills, and building your portfolio. You seriously need tons of that before even thinking about commercial photography. How many commercial photographers do you know that insist on handing their clients work without post-processing, claiming that "that's the correct exposure of the scene on that day"? Nevermind what the school does with your photos, it's more important what YOU do with your photos.

And like the others commented, I think a kit zoom might better serve you than that 50mm 1.8. From the Facebook link you posted, a lot of the photos are too tight and all that's left are faces without context. Either that, or the bodies are cropped off abruptly. Exposure is another issue - instead of using 1/4000s, you can slow down to 1/500 for example and still be able to "freeze" the water motion with a decent ISO as shown by allenleonhart (1/200s) without the photo getting underexposed or noisy high ISO.

I had been contemplating about it... On one hand why must I support companies that overcharge their products(In this case, for standard editions) when they just copied exactly from open source software? On the other hand I may risk getting banned from my ISP...
    Just to point out - they did not copy from open source software, in fact, nobody copied from anybody. Adobe is able to charge such a high premium for its softwares because they are GOOD and the choice of many professionals. You have to use it to understand. GIMP is a worthy open source contender which is free (and which I am using as well, since I also cannot afford Photoshop) and mimics as much of Photoshop functions as it can, but it is ultimately not Photoshop. If you do not understand software development, please do not make such wild claims. The difference between GIMP and Photoshop? One is produced by people as something of a hobby while the other is produced by paying people to write codes. Hence the difference in functions, capabilities and price.

If GIMP overwhelms you, you can always try Picasa (legally free alternative to Elements).

-----------------------------

Lastly, to bring the thread back on topic - why bother how DSLR marketing has shifted as long it you can continue to produce the pictures you want? Especially at a lower cost as DSLR goes mainstream...
    Last edited by arctos; 3rd December 2010 at 06:03 PM.
    Just photograph what you think is beautiful - that is all that matters. ~ Wing Shya ~
    .:Flickr:.

This thread made me laugh.

Next time got bad video must tell my clients this :

"Eh sorry, flu, hands not steady, also forgot to bring tripod and aiyah you know my cam lens sucks, its just a kit lens that is attached to my XL2, it COMES with the camera, kit lens, sucky, sorry I am not using the Zeiss Cine Primes or Red Primes otherwise confirm sharp and good one!Oh yah, I also dont have steadicam, which explains why your video sucked"

Hint, No one cares about your gear, its your work. Not sharp means not sharp, underexposed means underexposed, poor means poor. WB off means WB off.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobbit View Post
    This thread made me laugh.

Next time got bad video must tell my clients this :

"Eh sorry, flu, hands not steady, also forgot to bring tripod and aiyah you know my cam lens sucks, its just a kit lens that is attached to my XL2, it COMES with the camera, kit lens, sucky, sorry I am not using the Zeiss Cine Primes or Red Primes otherwise confirm sharp and good one!Oh yah, I also dont have steadicam, which explains why your video sucked"

Hint, No one cares about your gear, its your work. Not sharp means not sharp, underexposed means underexposed, poor means poor. WB off means WB off.
    I prefer to ensure all my images are what you will see if you were in that scene, matching exposure to what you will actually see. Its my preference, don't poke/ bicker about it. How would you feel if (for example) you prefer to use your hands to eat, and I mock at you saying that you have no dining etiquette? I would be willing to accept critism, suggestion, feedback but not people making fun of personal preference. If you want to poke at other people's personal preference please find a group of friends who share the same thoughts, and find another place to bicker. I don't want to see clubsnap turn into a place where people mock at each other just because we have different preferences.

this is evolution... and i think it's great... it raises the bar for everyone, amateurs, professionals.

I prefer to ensure all my images are what you will see if you were in that scene, matching exposure to what you will actually see. Its my preference, don't poke/ bicker about it. How would you feel if (for example) you prefer to use your hands to eat, and I mock at you saying that you have no dining etiquette? I would be willing to accept critism, suggestion, feedback but not people making fun of personal preference. If you want to poke at other people's personal preference please find a group of friends who share the same thoughts, and find another place to bicker. I don't want to see clubsnap turn into a place where people mock at each other just because we have different preferences.
    "i composed this picture badly because it was personal preference"

"i ate this piece of dung because it's personal preference"

a

aye aye, captain, please carry on with your personal preference.

The fact is

Your photo is lousy.
    Your attitude is lousy.
    You have no logic.
    You think you are season photographer.
    You think other are just crappy photographer.
    You think kit lens only can produce crappy photo.
    You think your L lens is the best.

The very fact is, if you don't crawl out from your tiny well and see the world, you will never catch up with the world.

The problem with you is that you keep giving lame excuse, never want to admit your mistake.

Go and study "photography" first, before talking big and look like a fool here.

I don't see the problem with using Auto. It's simple and fuss free just the way I like it.

I use auto just like I use any of the other settings on my camera.

To me getting "the shot" is more important than the settings or equipment being used. If I use auto and I get the shot I want. Does that make me any less of a photographer than a guy who uses manual and not get the shot he wants?

It's not about your camera. It's about vision, seeing, and imagination. It's about playing like a kid to see what you can see from new places.

It's not about autofocus menus or exposure modes. It's all about line, texture, balance, emphasis, color, shape, curve and a million other things that actually make an image worthwhile.

Just my $0.02
    Last edited by Raptor937; 4th December 2010 at 12:53 AM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 ... LastLast