Thread: Which Wide Angle Lens You Recommend

Default Which Wide Angle Lens You Recommend

Hi.. I would like to invest on a Wide Angle Len as I love to take landscape/cityscape pic. There are wide angle prime len and zoom len. I know wide angle zoom len is more ex than the prime len. Is it really necessary to get the zoom one? Or Prime len is enff? And which Wide Angle len you guys recommend? I dun mind use a 3rd party one. I dun mind get the cheapest one.

Default Re: Which Wide Angle Lens You Recommend

For DX I use the Tokina11-16f2.8 or 12-24f4, both are OK for landscape
    For FX I use Nikon 17-35

Try to save some $ to get a good set of filters like Lee Filters if you really like landscapes
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

Quote Originally Posted by skybroodz View Post
    Hi.. I would like to invest on a Wide Angle Len as I love to take landscape/cityscape pic. There are wide angle prime len and zoom len. I know wide angle zoom len is more ex than the prime len. Is it really necessary to get the zoom one? Or Prime len is enff? And which Wide Angle len you guys recommend? I dun mind use a 3rd party one. I dun mind get the cheapest one.
    it depends on what camera you have.
    If you are using a cropped body camera, it is better to get uwa zoom lens because the available zoom ones goes much wider than the available prime. Which is your main purpose of getting a uwa lens right?
    I am not too sure about prime uwa lens on a full frame body. So far, all of the ff camera user I know uses a zoom uwa.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

its lens not len... hehehhe..

solely up to you,

like others have mentioned if FX, theres the Nikon 17-35,16-35,18-35,sigma 12-24,15-30 tamron 17-35

for cropped, theres the Nikon 10-24, 12-24, Sigma 8-16,10-20, tamron 10-24, tokina 11-16

the above mention are zoom lenses,

as for prime if u do intend to fully maximize the use of the large aperture, the best bet is the Sigma 20 1.8.....

but as for landscape, u usually stop down to F8-F16... so take ya pic... do a bit reading...
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Blog Entries

Do you need Wide Angle (WA) or Ultra Wide Angle (UWA)? Quite different. 18mm on crop and 28mm on FF are also considered Wide Angle.

Zoom lens works well as UWA because when taking landscape we usually stop down, thereby maximizing sharpness and DoF.

Quote Originally Posted by skybroodz View Post
    There are wide angle prime len and zoom len. I know wide angle zoom len is more ex than the prime len. Is it really necessary to get the zoom one? Or Prime len is enff?
    There issin much of options for really wide focal lengths for prime lenses especially for the crop sensors, and zooms can over much more variety in this aspect. Sometimes the choice of getting a wide zoom is not much of a choice.

Pricing wise there are expensive wide primes, and there are expensive wide zooms as well.

ryan