Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iphone GPS queries

Default iphone GPS queries

If I drive in malaysia in airplane mode, will the map function work?

if I download tomtom or papago and use them in airplane mode will it work?

sorry for the noob questions.
    I dont usually use my iphone/ipads in malaysia.

so If i turn off data roaming, BUT i DO NOT switch to airplane mode and use map, papago or tomtom navigation, will i still incur those horrendous bills?

thanks much.

Default Re: iphone GPS queries

hi jeanie,

from my experience, not many phones can triangulate your position quickly (or accurately) without network help. this is because assisted gps will no longer be functioning

can take up to 5 minutes. but when locked, i guess it will be ok, just that it will be inconvenient, and frustrating at times.

if you use the iphone's native maps app, it will need data to download the maps to be used with GPS. tomtom probably has loaded maps, so that should overcome that particular problem... but still, i'm not sure if i'd be confident enough to actually trust a phone GPS system to be responsive or accurate enough in a relatively unfamiliar place that isn't singapore. you can always try it locally.... but sad to say, these things don't come cheap.. and then you might also have to purchase additional maps.

why don't you just buy a dedicated car GPS unit with malaysia maps?

you might want to read these, hopefully they will be of help:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...connection.ars
    http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-ipho...onnection.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5963452_use-...s-service.html
    Last edited by night86mare; 30th November 2010 at 05:37 PM.

I'm not sure whether the GPS receiver will still work if the phone is switched to airplane mode. I'll have to test it.

If not in airplane mode and data roaming is turned on, then you will charged those horrendous bills if you use map but not if you use "true" GPS applications like papago and tomtom. These have their own maps which are loaded into the phone.

The map application downloads portions of the map as you use it (I think it uses Google Map but I'm not sure about this). It needs a data connection to download the map as you use it, so it won't work if data roaming if turned off and you're not in Singapore.

another relevant page, not sure if it's free for you to try...

http://iphonenodata.com/site/offline-maps/

btw, I did 4 hours of data roaming in China, my bail on Starhub went up to 700++ SGD

Buy a malaysia 3G sim card & its sorted.

wiht a malaysian 3G pre-paid SIM card, data charges are capped at 8RM per day. that should work
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Sigh... Wonder if those who reply really did have those apps and use them before... Take out your sim and turn on your Tomtom apps and you'll know the answer.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

I had been using Papago M7 on the iphone for navigation when driving in Malaysia. Not too bad. Usually can get a GPS lock on within a minute. Most importantly, the Singapore and Malaysia maps are preloaded, so you do not need to be connected to internet, and thus don't need wifi or 3G. Just to be on the safe side, you can switch off the data roaming when in Malaysia.

Using the GPS on the iphone is good enough for me as I only use it when driving in Malaysia to places I am unfamiliar. The function and navigation is quite similar to the stand alone verson. It is able to recalculate the route rather quickly if you took a wrong turn. Don't need to spend another $200+ for the dedicated stand alone GPS navigation device.

But if you need to be assisted by GPS navigation often even in Singapore, then getting a stand alone GPS navigation device will be more advisable.

Hope this helps.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Sigh... Wonder if those who reply really did have those apps and use them before... Take out your sim and turn on your Tomtom apps and you'll know the answer.
    you are extremely helpful person.

building good karma!

I have been using Papago M6 (new version is M7) apps for iphone. quite good and accurate. But cant key in GPS coordinates. You need to key in the street name. Still able to navigate my way in some remote unknown road in Batu Pahat. Papago do not use data for the GPS positioning. My data roaming is always off.
    Last edited by DeSwitch; 30th November 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hi jeanie,

from my experience, not many phones can triangulate your position quickly (or accurately) without network help. this is because assisted gps will no longer be functioning

can take up to 5 minutes. but when locked, i guess it will be ok, just that it will be inconvenient, and frustrating at times.

if you use the iphone's native maps app, it will need data to download the maps to be used with GPS. tomtom probably has loaded maps, so that should overcome that particular problem... but still, i'm not sure if i'd be confident enough to actually trust a phone GPS system to be responsive or accurate enough in a relatively unfamiliar place that isn't singapore. you can always try it locally.... but sad to say, these things don't come cheap.. and then you might also have to purchase additional maps.

why don't you just buy a dedicated car GPS unit with malaysia maps?

you might want to read these, hopefully they will be of help:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...connection.ars
    http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-ipho...onnection.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5963452_use-...s-service.html
    thanks much for the answers.

i have a garmin gps in every car, just that i tot i try the iphone apps, especially when walking around shopping where i wont bring my garmin along.
    thanks for the links as well.will read them when i'm free.

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    wiht a malaysian 3G pre-paid SIM card, data charges are capped at 8RM per day. that should work
    these prepaid 3G sim cards are like our singtel HI card is it?
    but if i buy these prepaid cards, i must top it up regularly else if i make calls and data roam, bound to exceed it's limit right?
    where do i go to top up these prepaid cards?

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    I had been using Papago M7 on the iphone for navigation when driving in Malaysia. Not too bad. Usually can get a GPS lock on within a minute. Most importantly, the Singapore and Malaysia maps are preloaded, so you do not need to be connected to internet, and thus don't need wifi or 3G. Just to be on the safe side, you can switch off the data roaming when in Malaysia.

Using the GPS on the iphone is good enough for me as I only use it when driving in Malaysia to places I am unfamiliar. The function and navigation is quite similar to the stand alone verson. It is able to recalculate the route rather quickly if you took a wrong turn. Don't need to spend another $200+ for the dedicated stand alone GPS navigation device.

But if you need to be assisted by GPS navigation often even in Singapore, then getting a stand alone GPS navigation device will be more advisable.

Hope this helps.

yes it helped.
    thanks so much.

btw, 200+ can buy a standalone?

my garmins all above 500 when i bought it.
    unless you are talking about smaller screen sizes and lower range...still, $200+ can get meh?
    really?

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    I have been using Papago M6 (new version is M7) apps for iphone. quite good and accurate. But cant key in GPS coordinates. You need to key in the street name. Still able to navigate my way in some remote unknown road in Batu Pahat. Papago do not use data for the GPS positioning. My data roaming is always off.
    thanks.
    i'll buy papago m7 then.
    btw, i'm still using iphone3gs.not ip4.

and btw, does papago7 works on ipad?
    i assume they have a HD version?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    yes it helped.
    thanks so much.

unless you are talking about smaller screen sizes and lower range...still, $200+ can get meh?
    really?
    can la.. uk can get second hand one for as low as 20 pounds.

really?

The smaller screen 3.5 inch garmin can be bot for around $190
    The medium sized 4.3 inch can be bot for around $280
    The larger sized 5.0 inch can be bot for around $380

As usual all come pre-loaded with Sing / Mal maps if u buy them in Singapore. Local distributor also has a service whereby if u can rent overseas maps for $2 a day .. an alternative to paying hundreds of dollars for owning the maps outright.

these prepaid 3G sim cards are like our singtel HI card is it?
    but if i buy these prepaid cards, i must top it up regularly else if i make calls and data roam, bound to exceed it's limit right?
    where do i go to top up these prepaid cards?
    yes it's like the singtel hi cards (they must have done very good marketing...)

you can get them at any ah beng phone shop, and buy top-up cards from there too. anyway, if you just put 50RM in the card, it will last you many days since it is capped at 8RM per day for data.

can find those shops at any major shopping centre or kampong also. more prevalent than in singapore
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

yes it helped.
    thanks so much.

really?
    Prices of standalone GPS devices had come down quite a lot.

thanks.
    i'll buy papago m7 then.
    btw, i'm still using iphone3gs.not ip4.

and btw, does papago7 works on ipad?
    i assume they have a HD version?
    My wife's iPhone 3GS and my iPhone 4 are both using the Papago M7 app. It works without problem on both phones.

Yes, there is a separate HD version for iPad.

One thing to note that when using this app on the iPhone, the phone will get quite warm, and battery drain will be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    My wife's iPhone 3GS and my iPhone 4 are both using the Papago M7 app. It works without problem on both phones.

Yes, there is a separate HD version for iPad.

One thing to note that when using this app on the iPhone, the phone will get quite warm, and battery drain will be faster.
    Agree. It may get too hot and gets shut down. I usually place my iPhone in front of the air-con vent when using it, while connecting to the power source.

PPG M7 is pretty good. No need to use data plan while in Malaysia or Singapore.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast