Thread: Buying D700

Default Buying D700

Hi,

I m new here.

Currently looking to buy the Nikon D700, but given the used price around 2.8K, which is just about $300 cheaper than new, do you guys advise to get used or buy new? Another alternative is that should i wait for the D800(rumours) or wait for the D700 new price drop further when D800 really launched?

All helps appreciated

Thanks

Default Re: Buying D700

firstly, if price difference is only 10% btw used and new, get a brand new one pls. and force the 2nd users to sell at an even lower price (so i can get one myself haha).
    Wait for d800? we dont even know when its out. pple have been talking about a d90 replacement for a year before it appeared!
    If u can convince yourself that your new d700 is perfect for u without getting envy of the d800, then get the d700. If u r the jealous type, wait for d800 and play with your hp camera for now.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ahchua007 View Post
    Hi,

I m new here.

Currently looking to buy the Nikon D700, but given the used price around 2.8K, which is just about $300 cheaper than new, do you guys advise to get used or buy new? Another alternative is that should i wait for the D800(rumours) or wait for the D700 new price drop further when D800 really launched?

All helps appreciated

Thanks
    Go for new one, warranty 12mth+3mth (register though Nikon spore)

if only $300 difference then get new.

Hi,

I m new here.

All helps appreciated

Thanks
    I would consider a 2nd hand set (esp if out of warranty) for 10% discount off street price to be a BAD DEAL.

Not sure what's up with the pricing... I guess, "willing buyer, willing seller".
    Am waiting for more news of new release, and hopefully prices will come tumbling down and I can consider this gem. Otherwise will stick to DX.
    Exploring! :)

Thanks for all replies.

It seen a new set will be more logical especially with the 12+3months warranty.

D700 seen to have good resale market, given a 1.5 years used D700 @2.8k under BnS, only depreciate about $400/yr and further break into $33/month. Even much much cheaper than rent one.

If i get a new D700, hope it will also fetch high resale when i want to upgrade to D3/D4 in future.

Thanks for all replies.

It seen a new set will be more logical especially with the 12+3months warranty.

D700 seen to have good resale market, given a 1.5 years used D700 @2.8k under BnS, only depreciate about $400/yr and further break into $33/month. Even much much cheaper than rent one.

If i get a new D700, hope it will also fetch high resale when i want to upgrade to D3/D4 in future.

I think you also have to take into consideration that the D700 replacement may be out soon. If so, D700 price will drop and your resale value too.
    Nikon D4 | AF-S 50mm 1.4G | AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (2.9x) | AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED | SB900

yeah... camera is a tool, not investment. The cost may be great, but if you take photos that make you smile, I think it's worth it!
    Exploring! :)

Ask yourself this question, Why D700? Do I want or need? If want get new. If need get 2nd hand & save the $300 for other lens or GND filters.

I got mine 2nd hand with 8 mths warranty & save $300 to buy Lee filters for that super duper landscape shots. Also I need the D700 mainly for night & indoors.

Wait for the D800? Why wait when you can start the beautiful memories NOW?

Otherwise if you can get by using a DX I'll recommend the new D7k & you can get some good 2nd hand lenses with savings
    Last edited by DrSpock; 30th November 2010 at 06:02 PM.
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

If money is a concern, why not get a cheaper camera? The D40s n D80s are cheap n still producing wonderful pictures..
    They are avail at abt 300 n 700 respectively..
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8