Thread: First time shot our popular MBS

Default First time shot our popular MBS

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like to have as much c and c as possible on overall picture. composition,exposure,
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I shoot this to simulate as closed to the real environment at that particular time.
    and to understand the proper usage of this new camera.(d 7000)
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Took this picture so that most people know the actual place so can c c accurately for learning
    purpose.
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Its pretty difficult and challenging to shoot on a slightly foggy night.
    Hope all members could share shooting knowledge with me, without your comment I would never know whether this shot is correctly executed.
    Thanks everyone for viewing.
    Fuji X Pro1 18-55, Voigt SL125mm Apo F2.5.
    Sony 7r 55 2.8,85 1.4,180ed 2.8,70-300,

Default Re: First time shot our popular MBS

I think some comments I made on the other thread with regards to framing of the MBS is also relevant in this instance so I'll cut and paste that here and add on some other points which are specifically for this photo of yours. Cut and paste portion is in bold.

The reason why I have not chosed to shoot MBS from the left side ever since the museum took shape is because the design and proportion of it is totally detached from the rest of the buildings in the MBS cluster. Hence placing the museum closer to the frame actually amplifies this uncomfortable fit and obstructs the first tower from full view. I feel that the rythem of the 3 towers is being distrupted unnecessarily. Further, the low-rise convention centre at the extreme right occupies a much bigger(longer) piece of the cluster. With a view from the left, you'd be left with too much space on the right of the photo. The composition becomes unbalanced. MBS was designed to be a cluster of buildings, hence the challenge is to photograph it in a way which reveals this design intention. This is directed to the 1st photo.

Personally, I would still have gone for a head-on shot of this MBS from somewhere in front of One Fullerton, which is much further right of where these photos were taken to get a clearer separation between the buildings and obtain more balanced compositions. If I need to take the MBS from an alternate perspective, I will choose to take it from the Promontory. Placing the convention centre closer to you is better than having the museum in the foreground.

I got the feeling that when you take MBS, you are only looking at the 3 towers and not the entire development. This results in rather awkward compositions which appears incomplete and not well-thought through.

The timing you chosed to take the photo is also very critical. The lights in your photo appeared dull and uninteresting. You are not showing much details in the buildings as well. Even if the name suggests, night photography does not necessarily means the photos had to be taken after the sky turned dark completely. Ideally, you should make use of the ambient lighting to capture some details in the buildings. You can try taking the photo earlier in the evening i.e. 19:00 to 19:30hrs, depending on the time of the year. If its not too bad, the slight haze can be overcome with contrast adjustments in post-editing but I think that's the least of your worries in this instance since there are other gripping issues i.e. composition, lighting you have to deal with.

If you took the photo "to simulate as closed to the real environment at that particular time", then why that particular time? Because you happened to be there? In your opinion, is that the best timing? I'm not sure what aspects of the camera you were trying to explore with this photo but scenes like this isn't that demanding on a contemporary DSLR.

Default Re: First time shot our popular MBS

Thanks Kit for the wonderful lesson, all your point are noted.
    I will do another re-shoot, I could not switch to your recommended time as I work till 9 plus every night.If my company allow, I would want to stick as much to your timing to get the detail as much as possible. Thanks again for your valuable time and clear explanation.
    Fuji X Pro1 18-55, Voigt SL125mm Apo F2.5.
    Sony 7r 55 2.8,85 1.4,180ed 2.8,70-300,