Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shooting landscape using f2.8?

Default Re: Shooting landscape using f2.8?

I've come across a friend of mine who also has very high ego on his own camera setup and photos. Tried to explain some facts or knowledge I learned from books and websites to him because I saw the photos he took using Canon 7D and L lenses are blur, grainy and underexposed, but always ended up with quarrels. One of the reason he told me is that he is an engineer but I'm in banking so has better knowledge in physics than me
    So I think as long as he is happy and enjoy the hobby, just let it be.
    Why not show him that your photos are better even with an 'inferior' camera? Just in case you are wondering, photography is an art, not a science. The only physics knowledge you need in photography is that light is needed to make a photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by chicklit View Post
    Yesterday I go to have some shoot with my 2 of my buddies on Marrina Barrage. After that, we go to Marina Sq to have dinner, which we take a look each others result...
    Looking at one of my friend's result, I found quite interesting that all his landscape is shoots using f2.8 (he used a 5D and 16-35 f2.8 L). When I asks why he using f2.8, not step down to let say f8 to achieve deep focus, he even more surprise. From his reason, since his lens is a high quality one, he no need to step down like any one of those cheapo lenses. Even he reasoning, step down the aperture only wasted his lens' f2.8 availability. The other friend also try to reasoning with him and try to explain about deep focus, but seems he stands firm with his reason that f2.8 able to produce good landscape pics.

What do you guys thinking?
    Normally I always step down to min f8-f10 when trying to achieve deep focus, and I believe this is also applicable to any L lenses (I don't have any)

f2.8 for landscape

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    Just in case you are wondering, photography is an art, not a science. The only physics knowledge you need in photography is that light is needed to make a photograph.
    Not true. If you understand the science behind photography then you can develop the artistic side to taking photos to a greater extent. Unless you spend most of your time dabbling in post production.
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    Why not show him that your photos are better even with an 'inferior' camera? Just in case you are wondering, photography is an art, not a science. The only physics knowledge you need in photography is that light is needed to make a photograph.
    I'd rather think that photography is a marriage of arts and sciences.

I have tried f2.8 as well as f8, f11 and so on. It is true that u get more dof when u step down. But if your friend is shooting in low light situation without flash, he has my support. other than that it is always better with the sweet spot *-*.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345