Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting landscape using f2.8?

Default Re: Shooting landscape using f2.8?

Quote Originally Posted by semino View Post
    Donut...I am the TS who complained...

please visit my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52996057@N04/

these were taken by my Kit lens last weekend with Sunchasers...
    Good shots.

Hope this proves your kit lens can produce great shots once it is used within its operating limits.

Excellent. It's all the photographer. Added you on Flickr, hope to see more of your work soon!

Quote Originally Posted by chicklit View Post
    Yesterday I go to have some shoot with my 2 of my buddies on Marrina Barrage. After that, we go to Marina Sq to have dinner, which we take a look each others result...
    Looking at one of my friend's result, I found quite interesting that all his landscape is shoots using f2.8 (he used a 5D and 16-35 f2.8 L). When I asks why he using f2.8, not step down to let say f8 to achieve deep focus, he even more surprise. From his reason, since his lens is a high quality one, he no need to step down like any one of those cheapo lenses. Even he reasoning, step down the aperture only wasted his lens' f2.8 availability. The other friend also try to reasoning with him and try to explain about deep focus, but seems he stands firm with his reason that f2.8 able to produce good landscape pics.

What do you guys thinking?
    Normally I always step down to min f8-f10 when trying to achieve deep focus, and I believe this is also applicable to any L lenses (I don't have any)
    I read ur post a few times but did not notice u highlight anything about his pic. Instead, ur friend n urself went on and on about how to shoot landscapes..
    So many of us are guilty of such practices nowadays..
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    your pics sibeh nice leh!!! i assume u used kit lens to do these??? amazing piece of work...

i think i need to learn from you liao....
    Yes Donut, I used my Kit lens(15-85mm). Thanks for your appreciation.

I will be going this coming weekend(4th) to Sunchasers outing.

Just goes to show how a little more understanding of your camera and light can do for your phototaking... well done!

To see more of the result of sunchasers newbie outing see here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804392

We share tips and techniques at our outings, and after pictures are posted up, we critique each other's shots so as to improve. So if anyone here is experiencing difficulty understanding concepts or getting satisfactory landscape shots, this is an avenue you can try. It's free too, but you have to sacrifice some sleep for it.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 1st December 2010 at 07:27 AM.

From my experience, stopping down to a smaller aperture increases the depth of field which generally equates to a larger portion of your photo being in focus but that in no way means the details are sharper, not always.

We cannot discount taking landscapes at wide apertures altogether because it really depends on what was the original intention. Anything is possible provided you know what you are doing but using f/2.8 just because the lens allows you to isn't exactly what I'd call having the slightest idea of how photography works. The act of making an photograph is governed by intentions and techniques. You tell the equipment how they should be used, not the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    sometimes we do not have the luxury of having a tripod anywhere we go... who would bring a tripod out for normal day street shooting, and then by incident stayed late and saw some nice sunset? seriously its just about making the best use of ur gears and the surrounding
    that is true,

but i think the point of "must use max aperture of my expensive lens to maximize capability" applies everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    From my experience, stopping down to a smaller aperture increases the depth of field which generally equates to a larger portion of your photo being in focus but that in no way means the details are sharper, not always.
    for sure though, shooting a lens wide open.. majority of lenses will not be as sharp wide open. that is a fact.

so have you at the very least, changed your mentality?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so have you at the very least, changed your mentality?

eh, that is a pretty expensive kit lens... cost as much as my most expensive lens, T12-24

as long as the photographer is happy with his shots, i think that's the most impt.

Quote Originally Posted by dougs View Post
    as long as the photographer is happy with his shots, i think that's the most impt.
    that is very true, but preferrably not to misinform newbies as well .

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by dougs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    that is very true, but preferrably not to misinform newbies as well .

ryan
    Ah, so far my buddy is happy with his setup (and results)
    Just got sms from him to asks me join him on next Sun (for SCB Marathon)
    400D(RIP) | 50D | Sigma 12-24 F4.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-70 F2.8 HSM | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM | NEX 5N+18-55

I've come across a friend of mine who also has very high ego on his own camera setup and photos. Tried to explain some facts or knowledge I learned from books and websites to him because I saw the photos he took using Canon 7D and L lenses are blur, grainy and underexposed, but always ended up with quarrels. One of the reason he told me is that he is an engineer but I'm in banking so has better knowledge in physics than me
    So I think as long as he is happy and enjoy the hobby, just let it be.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    I've come across a friend of mine who also has very high ego on his own camera setup and photos. Tried to explain some facts or knowledge I learned from books and websites to him because I saw the photos he took using Canon 7D and L lenses are blur, grainy and underexposed, but always ended up with quarrels. One of the reason he told me is that he is an engineer but I'm in banking so has better knowledge in physics than me
    Most of us have high egos on our photos issin it

Sometimes the appreciation of each photo comes with a little bit of subjective taste. Of course while there are broad strokes of photography that appeal to masses, intentional overexposure/underexposure/noise or grain can be a tool for emphasis of a certain subject or instilling a certain mood. If not can always blame/call it art.

Ryan

Yeah, everyone has different taste. Ugly or beautiful has no definite answer, but there should be a minimum level right? Otherwise one can say a sh*t is very delicious to eat, is there such a person? I'm not saying those people with mental illness.
    But for my friend's case, he claimed he is pro and refuse to listen to friend's advices when he just bought his DSLR in less than 1 month
    We can intentionally make the effect of blur/noise/overexpose/underexpose to the photo, but if we don't know why the photo has such effect from the camera, then we should go to learn and find out why rather than calling it art because of ego.

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Most of us have high egos on our photos issin it

Sometimes the appreciation of each photo comes with a little bit of subjective taste. Of course while there are broad strokes of photography that appeal to masses, intentional overexposure/underexposure/noise or grain can be a tool for emphasis of a certain subject or instilling a certain mood. If not can always blame/call it art.

Ryan
    Last edited by kentwong81; 3rd December 2010 at 06:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Kentwong81, your pictures sucks big time. Use such a good camera still produce lousy images like yours...

Now how did that feel? Perhaps you need to learn to be more tactful.

Yeah, yours suck big time too after reading yours in your blog, especially you have started photography many years ago. I just started 3 months ago. So what
    How do you feel? Well...
    I never refuse to learn. Whether mine sucks big time or not...still keep learning

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Kentwong81, your pictures sucks big time. Use such a good camera still produce lousy images like yours...

Last edited by kentwong81; 3rd December 2010 at 11:18 PM.

Yeah, yours suck big time too after reading yours in your blog, especially you have started photography many years ago. I just started 3 months ago. So what
    How do you feel? Well...
    I never refuse to learn. Whether mine sucks big time or not...still keep learning
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Hey hey hey... cool it.

First, there is something known as hyperfocal. At any apertures, there is a distance from camera to the object that will achieve hyperfocal, this is the Maximum depth of field of the aperture used. F2.8 max dof may not be as deep as F8 or smaller, but it might be just sufficient for some situations, say, photographing something after a big river bank, or an isle away from coast line.

It is down to preference, but F8 onwards is usually the sweet spot as some mentioned, and has a large amount of dof which usually covers the landscape. Maybe your friend has never tried F8.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast