Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D3S Extreme High ISO Capability From An Out Of This World Perspective

Default Nikon D3S Extreme High ISO Capability From An Out Of This World Perspective

Captured by one of the International Space Station (ISS) Expedition 25 crew members from the Cupola observation module with a Nikon D3S (NASA camera field value designation: N5) travelling at an average speed of 27,743.8 km/h. Atmospheric skyglow and background stars are clearly visible.

• ISO Speed: 51200
    • Lens Aperture: F/2.8
    • Shutter Speed: 1/4 second
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 28th November 2010 at 01:37 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Default Re: Nikon D3S Extreme High ISO Capability From An Out Of This World Perspective

Cool stuff.

Default Re: Nikon D3S Extreme High ISO Capability From An Out Of This World Perspective

Simply beautiful....
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

I wanna be an astronaut so i can use D3s!!!
    now that's a stupid reason to be an astronaut...
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Amazing view, amazing job, amazing camera.

Wonder where I can view larger versions of these images ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    Wonder where I can view larger versions of these images ?
    How about clicking on the link posted initially beneath each individual photos where It will further lead you to a copy of the full resolution photo. Though camera shake is evident in the images at 100% resolution due to the low shutter speed used, nevertheless they are still rather remarkable IMHO.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

These photos are amazing. Really love the one where by you can see the settlements that cluster around the Nile River.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

It doesn't look like alot of camera shake considering it was taken while travelling at an average speed of 27,743.8 km/h with 1/4 shutter speed -.-. And the last image is quite clear ...
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

I think a 2 sec exposure is also possible, don't really need D3s to make this possible. Or they could have used a fast f1.2 lens. But its still awesome what the camera can do.

Anyone can educate me which part of the world are the pics showing? I thought i played RISK quite often but cant recognise any of the land shapes..

Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    Anyone can educate me which part of the world are the pics showing? I thought i played RISK quite often but cant recognise any of the land shapes..
    Can't recognise the other 2, but the 2nd one is North Africa. The lights along the Nile lead up to Egypt and the Nile Delta. You can see the Red Sea on the right, and beyond it, Saudi Arabia.

What strikes me here is how big and empty the Sahara is!

Here's what the Cupola observation module looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    The first picture is Italy The shape of the 'boot' is quite obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by NASA Earth Observatory, Image Of The Day (2010-12-13)

Astronaut photograph ISS026-E-6255 was acquired on November 30, 2010, with a Nikon D3S digital camera using an 180 mm lens, and is provided by the ISS Crew Earth Observations experiment and Image Science & Analysis Laboratory, Johnson Space Center. The image was taken by the Expedition 26 crew. The image in this article has been cropped and enhanced to improve contrast. Lens artifacts have been removed. The International Space Station Program supports the laboratory as part of the ISS National Lab to help astronauts take pictures of Earth that will be of the greatest value to scientists and the public, and to make those images freely available on the Internet. Additional images taken by astronauts and cosmonauts can be viewed at the NASA/JSC Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth. Caption by William L. Stefanov, NASA-JSC.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 20th December 2010 at 09:17 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

In comparison to the preceding post above, this was taken with either a Nikon D1 or D2Xs (NASA camera field value designation: N1 and N2 respectively) just 2 years and 11 months ago.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 20th December 2010 at 09:42 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

D3s is amazing indeed !
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

Beautiful...

2nd photo is showing Egypt... Gosh... how I wish I could travel to space in the future >_<
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by PaulKami View Post
    Beautiful...

2nd photo is showing Egypt... Gosh... how I wish I could travel to space in the future >_<
    Why not? If you have US$XX,XXX,XXX to spare.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 23rd December 2010 at 10:05 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Final flight of the Space Shuttle Endeavour (OV-105) and also first photo of any space shuttle docked to the (now completed) International Space Station (ISS) from the vantage of another spacecraft.

As taken by ISS Expedition 27 'MagISStra', European Space Agency (ESA) Italian astronaut Paolo Angelo Nespoli in the departing Soyuz TMA-20. The Nikon D3x and lenses used was thereafter left behind in the unshielded orbital module (crew are seated in the descent module) of the Soyuz TMA-20 to be burned up during atmospheric re-entry.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast