Thread: How to take my medication. Prescription shows 3 times a day.

Default How to take my medication. Prescription shows 3 times a day.

Prescription shows 3 times daily. No before or after meals instruction. So should I take it every 8 hrs? or follow breakfast, lunch, dinner routine?

For those prescription that needs to be consumed before or after meals, wouldnt there be a long lag time from dinner to breakfast the next day? Would that lack of medication in our body during that time be a chance for the viruses and bacteria to create immunity?

Default Re: How to take my medication. Prescription shows 3 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    Prescription shows 3 times daily. No before or after meals instruction. So should I take it every 8 hrs? or follow breakfast, lunch, dinner routine?

For those prescription that needs to be consumed before or after meals, wouldnt there be a long lag time from dinner to breakfast the next day? Would that lack of medication in our body during that time be a chance for the viruses and bacteria to create immunity?
    1. Take the medicine as soon as you wake up... say 7:00 am

2. Take your 2nd dose at 3:00 pm

3. Take your final dose before going to bed at 11:00 pm.

There you go... every 8 hours!

normal folks take them during waking hours. But if u want to be real technical about it, stick to 8 hours interval. Set your alarm to wake up if u must :-)

the "before or after breakfast" is just a recommendation. some medicines(influenza disease for example) are very strong, so better to consume after breakfast. But some medicines( gastric disease for example) are best effective and easier to digest before consuming food.

usually i don't bother about the "before or after" instruction.
    Last edited by ninelives; 28th November 2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    the "before or after breakfast" is just a recommendation. some medicines(influenza disease for example) are very strong, so better to consume after breakfast. But some medicines( gastric disease for example) are best effective and easier to digest before consuming food.

usually i don't bother about the "before or after" instruction.
    Speaking of this, there was once i took a medicine before a meal, it was recommened to be taken after meal.
    I took the medicine when i woke up, after taking it , i tried to sleep again but i felt very giddy and i felt i was spinning on an office chair, lasted for 10mins untill i went to take a cold bath.
    Lesson learnt

I use to work in a hospital pharmacy, usually when there is no before or after meal it means you can take it either way. If your stomach is weak then after would be a better option. 3 times daily means 8 hour a day but you don't have to be so strict about it, just take one in the morning, afternoon and before you sleep. The drugs are prescribed so that it come into effect before the previous dose is totally gone, so no worries about rebound infections.

just take 3 doses all at once. it still is 3 times a day. and if you get sick and die, you can sue the pharmacy for unclear instructions.

first time taking medicine?
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Easiest is to follow meal time, unless you have irregular meal time.

Pick up your phone and call your doctor!

better follow the before/after meal instructions... same goes for daily supplements.

i once took a green tea extract supplement and it is said to be taken on a full stomach. i tried taking it on an empty stomach and next thing i know... nausea kicked in and it's very uncomfortable.

so, follow the instructions coz there are reasons for it.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by agws1970 View Post
    Pick up your phone and call your doctor!
    Yeah coz doctor knows best.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

1pm take medication. 1.01pm take medication. 1.02pm take medication. There you are...3 times a day.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 29th November 2010 at 10:48 PM.

actually you should just ask your mom. mommy knows best!
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera