Thread: Need expert opinion on D90

Default Need expert opinion on D90

Hi team,
    I need your expert opinion, please. I am planning for D90.
    And my primary intrst is for portrait shots and next to the rest. i have a budget of S$2k and i cannot invest more for the next 1 year.

I have finalized 2 options.

1) D90 + kit + AF 85mm 1.8d
    2) D90 Body + 18-200 mm VR II

1) 85 MM for portrait and kit lens for the rest.
    2) i was told that 18-200mm can play all role. Can this achieve wat 85mm can provide in terms of quality portraits?

Which one will you prefer if u r in my shoes?

Default Re: Need expert opinion on D90

Quote Originally Posted by Suresh Surendran View Post
    Hi team,
    I need your expert opinion, please. I am planning for D90.
    And my primary intrst is for portrait shots and next to the rest. i have a budget of S$2k and i cannot invest more for the next 1 year.

I have finalized 2 options.

1) D90 + kit + AF 85mm 1.8d
    2) D90 Body + 18-200 mm VR II

1) 85 MM for portrait and kit lens for the rest.
    2) i was told that 18-200mm can play all role. Can this achieve wat 85mm can provide in terms of quality portraits?

Which one will you prefer if u r in my shoes?
    Why limit your options right there? U can get more bang for the buck if you dont mind 2nd hand items. In that case 2nd hand d90=800, 2nd hand 85mm= 550, 2nd hand kit=250, and you still have some spare for a flash unit (impt for portraits) and perhaps a sturdy tripod. All under 2k =D

Its what i would do if i were in your shoes. The 18-200 is more suitable for travel since it doesnt provide good bokeh being a variable aperture glass.

I'll for #1. 18-200 can't make best of portrait shots, since you mention quality. It's good for travel AIO type of lens.
    I say go for the kit lens & 85mm, save money for the other accessories or future one year later items.

The 85mm is also one of the lens that I would like to own/keep.

Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    Why limit your options right there? U can get more bang for the buck if you dont mind 2nd hand items. In that case 2nd hand d90=800, 2nd hand 85mm= 550, 2nd hand kit=250, and you still have some spare for a flash unit (impt for portraits) and perhaps a sturdy tripod. All under 2k =D

Its what i would do if i were in your shoes. The 18-200 is more suitable for travel since it doesnt provide good bokeh being a variable aperture glass.
    Thanks mate. But I am afraid of the 2nd hand. because i dont think i ll be able to choose the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    I'll for #1. 18-200 can't make best of portrait shots, since you mention quality. It's good for travel AIO type of lens.
    I say go for the kit lens & 85mm, save money for the other accessories or future one year later items.

The 85mm is also one of the lens that I would like to own/keep.
    Thanks a lot.

D90 + kit + AF 85mm 1.8d if u prefer quality to convenience. 18-200 can never compete with prime in terms of IQ.

U can start to play with the kit lens 1st and understand its limitation.
    Its limitation should be quite close to 18-200mm VR except a longer zoom range.
    Then maybe u can consider the cheap 50mm f1.8 for portraits to see if u like using prime lens before deciding if it is necessary to get 85mm f1.8.
    Btw, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is a good alternative to fit your requirement too

#1. At least you have a prime lense for low light/portrait.
    The 17-50 F2.8 by Tammy as suggested by others is a good alternative too.

The 18-200 cannot really perform at low light unless with flash/tripod, though is a good walkabt lens in daylight for all the zoom range, but no nice bokeh compared to fast lens.

Most important, you have to know what you want to shoot.

D90 kit, plus Sigma 50/1.4. Try to get the D90 kit 2nd hand, shd be no issue for sellers selling kit set (very new stuff).

Blog Entries

For a APS-C based sensor, I suggest a 50mm for portraits.

So D90 kit
    Add:
    -Nikon 50/1.8 (if on budget)
    -Nikon 50/1.4 AFD (if have a larger budget)
    -Sigma 50/1.4 (if budget is no issue)

If you take a lot of headshots do consider to add on top of the 50mm:
    - Nikon 85/1.8 (if on budget)
    - Sigma 85/1.4 (big bidget)
    - Nikon 85/1.4G AF-S (if budget no issue)

I will go for option 2. Get it and learn and you can find your next choice of len in one year time.