Thread: question about adobe photoshop

Default question about adobe photoshop

hey guys, just wondering which adobe software most photographers use.

i'm intending to get Creative Suite® 5 Design Premium at the student price, mostly for the Photoshop® CS5 Extended inside.

but do you guys use

i) CS5 (Extended or not),
    iii) Lightroom 3, or
    iv) Photoshop Elements 9?

and what's the better choice?
    considering that i've a budget, don't quite wish to get all the softwares for PP..

Default Re: question about adobe photoshop

Use whatever gives you the result that you want and what you can operate with ease. No point getting CS5 if you are only doing minor adjustments to your jpg files or just because other people have it. LR would be an easier and cheaper option (but I'm not sure whether LR has a student license).
    Have a look at Digital Darkroom here, your question has been discussed there already.
    EOS

I find that Lightroom is my software of choice as I don't do heavy "surgery" to my pictures.

Hi,

Before you buy CS5, it is important to know the configuration of your existing hardware, i.e. do you have 64 or 32 bit and are you runing on XP, Window 7 or Mac. CS5 is ram hungry and a 32bit machine can only utilised maximum of 3gig RAM on Windows, even if you spend money and load higher. If you are using Canon, I will suggest you stick to Canon Digital Professional until you upgrade you hardware to 64 bit. Note that a license of CS5 will alow you to install on your desktop as well as your laptop.

Having used CS5, it is world apart from the rest and it come with Adobe pro allowing you to print in PDF format to file. Adobe is clearly the leader in the field and you will not regret. At Student price of $120 you should buy anyway but remember to get the correct version at 64 or 32 bit.

$120 is crazy value (then again, it's adobe who set the $$$$ price for the non-student edition to begin with). rather than aim to use photoshop's basic functions, learn (in whichever way you prefer) to use a wider range of its features to add another dimension to your photography...
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

Quote Originally Posted by Josephchlee View Post
    I will suggest you stick to Canon Digital Professional until you upgrade you hardware to 64 bit. Note that a license of CS5 will alow you to install on your desktop as well as your laptop.
    Recent PC hardware is already 64bit compatible. Only netbooks have a 32bit only CPU.
    Having used CS5, it is world apart from the rest and it come with Adobe pro allowing you to print in PDF format to file.
    There are plenty of freeware and Open Source tools available doing the same. Adobe offers its own postscript printer driver for free download, can easily combined with ghostsscript / ghostview to create pdf files.
    EOS

You can always try out the free software too. Some free software are gimp, picasa and paint.Net. Before you pay money, why not give the free ones a shot?

Im a newbie like you, and im using Lightroom. It's good enough to do W/B adjustments, tilting, crop, exposure changes. Thats for cosmetic surgery

For real surgery get PS.

visit http://www.mine.com.sg/ for the student pack

Thanks a lot for all the replies. Appreciate it.

Yep, I realised after posting that Digital Darkroom has a few threads covering this, sorry about it! But I was still wondering exactly which software would be most ideal, because descriptions have been brief. I'll be shooting in RAW mode more often now, and I think I need a better software to fully practise PP. (Currently using GIMP, which has pretty limited features to me.) Will be downloading the free trials of CS5 and LR, as well as freewares and playing around with Canon Digital Pro to try them out, but since only CS5 has student license, most likely that.

The hardware I'm using now is pretty slow, but I'll be getting a laptop soon, with much better RAM so CS5 should be able to work smoothly.

Thanks all again! :]

Quote Originally Posted by phyll View Post
    The hardware I'm using now is pretty slow, but I'll be getting a laptop soon, with much better RAM so CS5 should be able to work smoothly.
    As long as the RAM is not ridiculously low (e.g. 1GB or less) the main difference is the CPU. Any recent 4core CPU will have little trouble with RAW. But netbooks will give you lots of time for coffee.
    EOS

pentium dual core cpu, 2.00GHz
    as for RAM, 2.00GB
    32-bit OS

yep, will try out. :]