Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Something to share... the video explains about Nano Crystal Coating.

    Video Missing

    Source: http://www.youtube.com/user/NikonCorporation

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Interesting!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Thks for sharing. Intersting video.

  4. #4
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Interesting video.

    Anyone done a AFS 24mm 1.4 vs a Canon 24mm f1.4 II to see how the Nano coat stacks up against the SWC in ghostbustering ?

    Ryan

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Now we know how NCC works. Thanks!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    informative indeed!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

  7. #7
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Thanks for sharing this video clip.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Cool. Txs for sharing.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Great ! Thanks for sharing the video.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Now I see the differences with nano coating lenses. Thanks for sharing.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    I think the "ghostbustering", at least for me not too much of use, since it might be useful from an artistic POV for weddings. So if the ghost is there, I leave it there. If its not there, I wouldn't miss it. But for Portraiture based commercial PGs it prob would be very welcomed. I do shoot against a spotlight (halogen or metal halide) shining on the couple's behind with the spotlight visible and pump Exposure Compensation to at least +2EV.

    But I find the Highlighting "anti-flare" capabilities pretty useful, as I do shoot against a bright background with the subject in the shadows/at least 2-3 stops lower than the background. So I need to blow the background away. For eg full length windows behind subjects, subjects in the shade. Just came back from a nice trip with the 24/1.4, really nice effect in the sun playing with f1.4-f2 ISO 100 and 1/4000-1/8000. The thing just does not flare much, so the microdetails and microcontrast on the subject is retained.
    With a normal lens you can get back the macrodetails with photoshop levelling, but you are just left with a somewhat blown background, a soft glow (ie bloom) around the subj, and the subj is visible but dark and not much details. For this the details are somewhat retained with the details much "harder" and POP more....HARD. With a normal lens the general feeling is like soft focus....not that the latter is bad, but the performance of the 24/1.4 is there.

  12. #12
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Have to pay a bit more for the special sauce.

    Thanks for the heads up bro.

  13. #13
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    799

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    thanks for sharing bro!
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Thanks for the info. I will go for nano crystal coated lens in future...

  15. #15

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Have to pay a bit more for the special sauce.

    Thanks for the heads up bro.
    Actually have to pay a HECK lot more for the special hot sauce......

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    But I find the Highlighting "anti-flare" capabilities pretty useful, as I do shoot against a bright background with the subject in the shadows/at least 2-3 stops lower than the background. So I need to blow the background away. For eg full length windows behind subjects, subjects in the shade. Just came back from a nice trip with the 24/1.4, really nice effect in the sun playing with f1.4-f2 ISO 100 and 1/4000-1/8000. The thing just does not flare much, so the microdetails and microcontrast on the subject is retained.
    With a normal lens you can get back the macrodetails with photoshop levelling, but you are just left with a somewhat blown background, a soft glow (ie bloom) around the subj, and the subj is visible but dark and not much details. For this the details are somewhat retained with the details much "harder" and POP more....HARD. With a normal lens the general feeling is like soft focus....not that the latter is bad, but the performance of the 24/1.4 is there.
    I concur..
    lately I have shot quite often backlighting or what the guy call 'highlighting' with the 24/1.4 and notice the contrast and details in the shadow is very well kept, unlike some lenses which loses contrast when shot against backlighting.
    In fact even the 85G performs better than the in 85D in this aspect(as shown in Ryan Brenizer's review). This is really a tribute to the Nano coating.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
    Great ! Thanks for sharing the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    Now I see the differences with nano coating lenses. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Have to pay a bit more for the special sauce.

    Thanks for the heads up bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    thanks for sharing bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by NikF601 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will go for nano crystal coated lens in future...
    You're welcome!

    I found the video engaging and dramatic. Nikon released such information is really an eye opener to me.

  18. #18
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    I understand each company needs to talk sense about what they make, but I feel that somehow its over exaggerated ( and I am sure Sigma and Canon have their stories to tell about the same Fluorite glass etc etc. I have actually not much problem shooting against light without the "wow Nano Coat lens" It depends on the intensity of the backlight, if its still super strong, I doubt there will be much difference between an Old lens and Nano Lens. Eg a 85 1.4D and new Nano 85 1.4 AFS. These guys talk till like damn pro, but it makes no difference when you shoot in the field practically,just use the lens and shoot.
    Additional knowledge is great though

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    I understand each company needs to talk sense about what they make, but I feel that somehow its over exaggerated ( and I am sure Sigma and Canon have their stories to tell about the same Fluorite glass etc etc. I have actually not much problem shooting against light without the "wow Nano Coat lens" It depends on the intensity of the backlight, if its still super strong, I doubt there will be much difference between an Old lens and Nano Lens. Eg a 85 1.4D and new Nano 85 1.4 AFS. These guys talk till like damn pro, but it makes no difference when you shoot in the field practically,just use the lens and shoot.
    Additional knowledge is great though
    well, i used to think this way while i was shooting a tokina 20-35 2.8, always had to avoid flare and give up on certain shots. then when i got the nikkor 17-35, i ate my words i could hardly induce flare when i wanted it for effect. there is a also quite a difference in contrast in even slightly back lit situations.

    so if difference in multicoating has that kind of effect, i wouldnt be all that surprised if nano coating was that good.. then again, i ve never shot any N glass and just like to leave an opinion.

    i thought the way they dramatized the video with effects was so funny. almost exactly like a mission brief from gundam 00...
    Last edited by Ben Ang; 28th November 2010 at 04:48 AM.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  20. #20
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    4,239

    Default Re: Nikon Nano Crystal Coat

    Nano Crystal coating is really great. Sometimes though, I like the flare and ghosting of the older lenses. It adds to the overall mood I'm portraying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •