Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Terms and Conditions of a Photography Contest (Which I disagree to)

Default Re: The Terms and Conditions of a Photography Contest (Which I disagree to)

OT a bit, actually nowadays those Corp comm or agencies long-term serving any big compaones are already very smart. Its either they do this, or squeeze the pro-photogs doing events. I cannot even see any company which is respectable in size / cash cow to spend like $$350 for 2hr coverage. Note - experienced photographer and good equipment involved. One company even know the diff between edited and non-edited photos, they want me to go home and edit it before sending back to the corp comm office 2hrs later (since they are vacating the place you cannot really stay there to edit for 30mins - 1hr and pass to them on the spot). All for below $500 for a short 3hr coverage, which usually would be burn into DVD or USB and go. If you still have a long standing relationship with an agency requiring "higher-end" photography then its good for you but hey brudders, I do not see this going to happen for long man. If there is no more demand from this "photo dilution" with such contests and stuff, the jobs and demand will just dwindle. So what if you can shoot well? Only those in niche photography genres will thrive.

Nowadays the agencies themselves outsource to $20-30/hr FL photographers, you see that in the Services Wanted/Offered section. So its not only the wedding fraternity which are squeezed.

Of course, these contests and the points I have raised above is absolutely nothing new..... but still time and again need to be surfaced. For I see it is worse than 7 years ago, and of course will definitely get worse. (while other goods/services will continue to inflate in prices )

Default Re: The Terms and Conditions of a Photography Contest (Which I disagree to)

Quote Originally Posted by dliem View Post
    OOT:
    It's not happen to only competition
    Some request for photographer for pre/AD Wedding also comes with funny things
    My colleague who also member of this forum told me, after he help a couple to do AD wedding, before he going home a member of the family asks for his cam's CF card. And he found that his pics are actually moved, not copied...
    When he asks why, they answered it's part of the deal; "the copyright is belong to the couple, you get experience".
    You can recover the photos from the card even if it's been deleted/formatted if you do it before fresh photos are written to it. I suggest Photorec software. It's free. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dliem View Post
    When he asks why, they answered it's part of the deal; "the copyright is belong to the couple, you get experience".
    If nothing is signed... and no money is received for the work, the copyright automatically belongs to the photographer.

If money is received for the work, even for $1, it will be considered commissioned work and copyrights will automatically belong to the photography.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If nothing is signed... and no money is received for the work, the copyright automatically belongs to the photographer.

If money is received for the work, even for $1, it will be considered commissioned work and copyrights will automatically belong to the photography.
    But what if the photographer received something that not money...
    Some snack and drink?
    And at the end the other party said, "We thought you enjoyed our food and drink?"
    400D(RIP) | 50D | Sigma 12-24 F4.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-70 F2.8 HSM | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM | NEX 5N+18-55

Quote Originally Posted by chicklit View Post
    But what if the photographer received something that not money...
    Some snack and drink?
    And at the end the other party said, "We thought you enjoyed our food and drink?"
    As your favourite lawyer about such details. Here it might become a grey zone without clear cut borders. Lesson: have something written down and agreed before you press the shutter.
    EOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12