Thread: Which of 50mm 1.8 or Kit I 18-55mm lens would be better for macro in terms of IQ?

Default Which of 50mm 1.8 or Kit I 18-55mm lens would be better for macro in terms of IQ?

Hi all. I currently have a 50mm 1.8 and the Kit I 18-55mm lens alongwith my 550D. I want to get either a filter or an extension tube for either one of these 2 lenses to be able to take macro shots.

Which one do you all think would be better for macro? My guess is that the prime would get me better photos in terms of sharpness. Am I correct? Or I'm missing something here?

Your help/pieces of advice would be most appreciated.
    Canon EOS 550D. 18-55mm. 50mm f/1.8 II.

Default Re: Which of 50mm 1.8 or Kit I 18-55mm lens would be better for macro in terms of IQ?

Quote Originally Posted by wizz747 View Post
    Hi all. I currently have a 50mm 1.8 and the Kit I 18-55mm lens alongwith my 550D. I want to get either a filter or an extension tube for either one of these 2 lenses to be able to take macro shots.

Which one do you all think would be better for macro? My guess is that the prime would get me better photos in terms of sharpness. Am I correct? Or I'm missing something here?

The 18-55mm is better for macro shooting. At the minimum focal distance, the 18-55mm offers a magnification of 0.34x whereas the 50mm f1.8 II has only a magnification of 0.15x.

Default Re: Which of 50mm 1.8 or Kit I 18-55mm lens would be better for macro in terms of IQ?

For macro lens filter is an add on to your lens there is some discount on the quality of the photo, if you need to add onto other lens unless the filter size is the same. For extension tube no such problem, the only problem is it no longer able to focus on distance object. I have both of above, but later I bought a 100mm f/2.8 macro which give you the magnification of 1.0X.

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    For macro lens filter is an add on to your lens there is some discount on the quality of the photo, if you need to add onto other lens unless the filter size is the same. For extension tube no such problem, the only problem is it no longer able to focus on distance object. I have both of above, but later I bought a 100mm f/2.8 macro which give you the magnification of 1.0X.

Hi. Well, I don't really mind the decrease in IQ cos I am just starting out in macro. If I find that I'm interested, then maybe I'll consider buying a macro lens later when I can afford it. For now, I just want to try out shooting macro.

So, the 18-55mm seems to offer better magnification for macro.

Which is better: using an extension tube or filter?

I'm using 550D too with 50mm F1.8 + raynox macro filter for macro shoots, i would say its good...
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

Hi. Well, I don't really mind the decrease in IQ cos I am just starting out in macro. If I find that I'm interested, then maybe I'll consider buying a macro lens later when I can afford it. For now, I just want to try out shooting macro.

So, the 18-55mm seems to offer better magnification for macro.

Which is better: using an extension tube or filter?

Using filter is easlier, using extension tube need some practice, focusing is not so easy to manage.

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Get a Raynox DCR-250 Macro Filter. The snap-on universal adapter will fit both your lenses.

The IQ will probably be better with the 50mm.

http://www.artworkfoto.com/raynox_macro_filter.html

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Get a Raynox DCR-250 Macro Filter. The snap-on universal adapter will fit both your lenses.

The IQ will probably be better with the 50mm.

http://www.artworkfoto.com/raynox_macro_filter.html
    What is the adapter for? Meaning I can use this same filter on both of my kit lens I as well as the 50mm?

What is the adapter for? Meaning I can use this same filter on both of my kit lens I as well as the 50mm?
    Yes, that is right...

The adapter is for different thread sizes. So even if you have different lens of different diameters, you don need additional step up or step down rings for it. Personally I will go for the 50f1.8 + Raynox DCR250 filter. One downside is that you will be spoilt by the prime lens.

You buying a camera body? I thought there's an online warranty thing that lets you buy the 50mm at $60?

What is the adapter for?......
    The adapter allow you to use the Raynox on lenses with 52mm to 67mm filter size.

Quote Originally Posted by AhKar View Post
    The adapter is for different thread sizes. So even if you have different lens of different diameters, you don need additional step up or step down rings for it. Personally I will go for the 50f1.8 + Raynox DCR250 filter. One downside is that you will be spoilt by the prime lens.

You buying a camera body? I thought there's an online warranty thing that lets you buy the 50mm at $60?
    No mate. I already have a Canon 550D. It's there in my signature.

What do you just mean by 'One downside is that you will be spoilt by the prime lens'?

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    The adapter allow you to use the Raynox on lenses with 52mm to 67mm filter size.
    Alright, thanks. I just checked, the filter size for the 18-55mm Canon lens is 58mm. So, basically what this means is that if I ever want to buy a UV filter for my kit lens, I should take one that is 58mm in diameter?

No mate. I already have a Canon 550D. It's there in my signature.

What do you just mean by 'One downside is that you will be spoilt by the prime lens'?

Alright, thanks. I just checked, the filter size for the 18-55mm Canon lens is 58mm. So, basically what this means is that if I ever want to buy a UV filter for my kit lens, I should take one that is 58mm in diameter?
    Yes, that is right, 58mm will be your filter size for 18-55mm lens.

I would say the 50mm 1.8

I'm not sure about Raynox but right now for Macro, I am using a Kenko AF Extension Tube..

with the help of 1.8, it allows more light to come in.

I wont be using 1.8, most likely f8 and above to get the DOF right.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    I would say the 50mm 1.8

I'm not sure about Raynox but right now for Macro, I am using a Kenko AF Extension Tube..

with the help of 1.8, it allows more light to come in.

I wont be using 1.8, most likely f8 and above to get the DOF right.
    Alright mate. Thanks for the input. How much did you pay your Extension Tube? Stupid question but I still want to ask it: You can still Auto-Focus right?

Raynox with 50mm F1.8 would be better.
    EOS 550D | Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 Non-Vc
    Flickr

I'd vote 50mm f1.8 - IQ of this cheap and good lens surpasses some of the L's
    Dots........

Suggest you save up and buy a proper MACRO Lens with ratio 1:1
    Canon, Tamron produce very sharp image and easy to focus.

Happy shooting
    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

Quote Originally Posted by stanycjw View Post
    Suggest you save up and buy a proper MACRO Lens with ratio 1:1
    Canon, Tamron produce very sharp image and easy to focus.

Happy shooting
    Well, I want to try the filter/extension tubes first and see if I am really into macro. Don't want to just buy buy buy.

I know the TS is talking about a Canon but which is the better 18-55, canon or nikon? When I had my nikon 18-55 version 1 (ie. no VR or whatever) I was quite happy with it and was pretty sharp to me. Then I heard that the Canon equivalent wasn't as good.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]