Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *Keith's Journey for fabulous yet affordable food!*

Default Re: *Keith's Journey for fabulous yet affordable food!*

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    I see rojak... Of all food I miss I missed Laksa and Rojak the most. Nice food shots, very appetizing
    Thanks Override2Zion!
    Indeed we will miss all these food soon
    Btw the better rojak i've eaten are from waterloo st and tampines former prime mart building food court. I'll make a trip there soon to provide more photos!
    My Flickr
    Photography is a hobby to me, not competition.

The Healthy Prata: Chappati

Ever ate a piece of roti prata without oil? This chappati taste exactly like prata but rather dry.
    Being the first time eating chappati, seriously i'm not a big fan of it but i'm sure there's alot of people outside who knows how to appreciate this healthy prata.
    Don't forget the fact that it's in the health promotion board encouraging people to choose chappati over our famous roti prata.
    Each piece of chappati cost $0.60 and you can choose to have it served with chicken, mutton, fish curry with a additional cost of $3.00 to $3.50. Kinda expensive...
    (Picture below shows minced mutton curry with potato)

Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Chappati

Tanjong Pagar Railway Station
    30 Keppel Road
    My Flickr

Yummy Viet at Chinatown outlet
    Had an unpleasant experience at this particular vietnamese food restaurant.
    Went there last friday evening with 4 of us ordering pomelo salad, summer roll, 2x grilled pork noodles, beef cube rice, a set dinner (chicken vermicelli soup, crab soup, a drink).
    The restaurant isn't big at all with 2 waitress handling the crowd outside. I'm not sure of the number of chefs in the kitchen though.

We waited 20 mins before 2 of us had our first bite which is the grilled pork noodles, not even the appetizers were served first. After another wait of 15 minutes or so, the first appetizer to reach us is the summer roll. In another 10 minutes, my beef cube rice came. Alright wait a moment, after 45 minutes, i finally get to try my main course.
    After finishing all the stuffs available on the table, the set dinner had yet to come which is really long.

After such a long wait and persistent complaining, the waitress finally came and told us the crab soup is unavailable. Next, she came over again and told us the vermicelli is not available and asked if we would like to change to rice noodle. Can you imagine our expression?

In the end, we decided to cancel off our remaining orders after staying in the restaurant for about 1 hour 15 minutes with a set dinner and pomelo salad not served yet. What frustrates us isn't the long wait but there are customers coming in later than us by ONE HOUR and getting served earlier than us ( and yes, they ordered chicken rice noodle soup), probably it's their regular customer . There's a few caucasians at the other table also waiting for their orders to be served even though they went in earlier than us. The best part is, the restaurant owner didn't admit it's their mistake for such service and yet finding excuses like "it's very busy today". The management is a total failure for this restaurant. I felt really bad for my girlfriend whom left the restaurant with us eating only one summer roll for dinner.

Enough ranting, i shall talk about the food for this place. Putting the service aside, the food taste really great.

Grilled Pork Noodles

The grilled pork noodles is actually dry and served with a sweet and sour sauce to be mixed in the noodles.
    In this dish, besides grilled pork, you can also find a piece of fried spring roll and lots of fried onions!

Beef Cube With Rice

Probably you can find stir fried beef with rice outside everywhere, but the sauce for this beef cube rice is something different. People who love "zhong kou wei" (strongly flavoured) dishes will definitely gotta try this. Beef is still quite tender upon serving but sometimes, sliced beef will still be better than cubed i think (more tender lasting).

Summer Roll

Summer roll is actually a simple dish which is to wrap up lettuce, bean sprout, vermicelli, prawn and sliced pork together in rice paper skin. But the sauce for this dish plays the most important role for this dish in my opinion. The sauce taste a bit sour but nicely mixed. Together with the roll, the sauce brings out the supposedly bland taste of the ingredients and tackles your taste buds. Definitely worth the try too.

Conclusion: The pricing for the food here is in the affordable range of about $6 onwards for main courses and $3 onwards for appetizers. Their food is worth the price in my opinion.
    If you don't mind the bad service for this restaurant, why not just step in and have a taste of authentic Vietnam cuisine?

Yummy Viet (Chinatown Outlet)
    28 Smith Street
    Chinatown Food Street
    Last edited by ch4ngs7er; 25th January 2011 at 12:41 AM.
    My Flickr

Alrighty, weather had been bad for these few days and decided to cook something at home to eat.

Mixed Herb Grilled Chicken with Garlic Fried Rice (Baked with cheese)
    My Flickr

Had been busy during the new year season thus making this thread seems dead for some time.
    Haven't had much time hunting for food and will just gonna share this dish with all.

Stir Fried French Beans

A typical dish i had in Xin Wang Hong Kong Cafe but this dish makes me kept eating non stop that i finished half a plate of it.
    Order it if you happen to have your meal there and judge it for yourself. (Maybe you might end up like me )
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ch4ngs7er View Post
    First time visiting this carrot cake stall which had been famous for a long time.
    This stall is famous for adding chye poh and ikan billis into frying of the carrot cake.
    You can smell the strong irresistible fragrance just by sitting around this small coffee shop located at 1 Telok Kurau Road.
    $3 for a plate of carrot cake might seems a tad pricey for some people as compared to the usual ones which cost $2-$2.50 outside. But judging from the fact that you have a reasonable portion of ikan billis and chye poh inside, it's definitely worth it.

Why not spend a bit of time to travel there and have a plate of carrot cake in order to taste a difference in your life?

1 Telok Kurau Road (Corner of the stretch which is opposite of petrol station)
    Only opens till 3pm.

Interesting! you made carrot cake look nice. most carrot cakes I ate here in singapore look so messy and greasy! Great job for the write-up too. you can be a food and lifestyle writer.

Quote Originally Posted by ch4ngs7er View Post
    Had been busy during the new year season thus making this thread seems dead for some time.
    Haven't had much time hunting for food and will just gonna share this dish with all.

Stir Fried French Beans

A typical dish i had in Xin Wang Hong Kong Cafe but this dish makes me kept eating non stop that i finished half a plate of it.
    Order it if you happen to have your meal there and judge it for yourself. (Maybe you might end up like me )
    i have not tried this dish in HK cafe but I tried a similar one with salted egg at Lugang at Ion mall. I think I can eat a whole plate with that.

Hey onioncube! Thanks for dropping by!!

This french beans are stir fried with minced meat. Taste a bit like our chinese "hay bee hiam" but a slightly different taste.
    I'm sure gonna try the one u mentioned and try to finish one whole plate~
    My Flickr

Just had a home cooked advanced valentines day dinner with my gf.
    Not a journey for fabulous food but just wanna share what i did for my gf this valentines day!
    No matter what, be it eating at home or dining out, my gf always waits patiently for me to finish "satisfying myself" (you guys know what we always like to do before we eat ) before she starts to eat. Kudos to her!!

Appetizer: Prawn Salad

Prawn looks cooked from the outside but actually it's raw.

Main Dish: Goose Liver in Duck Breast Roll

Dessert: Grapefruit and Pancakes with Chocolate Fudge
    My Flickr

It's been some time since i ate authentic thai food locally. I remember when i was working as a waiter in Bangkok Jam Thai Restaurant (Great World City), I used to have the chance to eat lots and lots of thai food. Haha~
    Today i was asked by my sister to join her for dinner at this thai restaurant in Bedok. It's located in the heartland of Bedok, serving authentic thai food at an affordable price ranging from $5 onwards.
    Comparing with the restaurant i worked in last time, it seems like this restaurant is more on the spicy side.
    If any of you loves spicy food, do give it a try!

Yom Yum Goong: Don't be fooled by this little fellow, spiciness level 8/10 for me!

Mango Salad:

Green Curry Chicken:

Pandan Chicken:

Kang Kong:
    My Flickr

Pineapple Fried Rice:

Phad Thai:

My dessert after dinner at Udders~ :

PS: Do be there early as you will be expecting a long queue!

Address:
    Blk 136
    Bedok North Ave 3
    My Flickr

Lets have some Tim Sum today!
    The Old Hong Kong had a few types of restaurants namely the Old Hong Kong Legend, Old Hong Kong Kitchen, Old Hong Kong Taste and Old Hong Kong Tea House.
    All the different restaurants serves different types of food to satisfy your daily meals from breakfast to even supper.
    The pricing for each of the normal Tim Sum dishes are ranging from about $3 to $8. Food wise, you can expect all the normal Tim Sums from the other Hong Kong cafes in Singapore but the tim sum restaurant that i prefer is still Red Star located in Chinatown.

Steamed Glutinous Rice wrapped in Lotus Leaf:

Dim Sum in the Cage 1: 6 different types in an order

Dim Sum in the Cage 2:

Pan-fried Carrot Cake with XO Chilli Sauce: Thumbs up for this dish!
    My Flickr

Deep-fried beancurd with Pepper and Salt: Highly recommended for tofu lovers!

Steamed Spare Ribs with Black Bean Sauce:

Pan-fried Shrimp Roll wrapped in Beancurd Skin:

Steamed Flour Roll with BBQ Pork:

Lai Wan Style Congee: Yes, there's only 2 pieces of You Tiao...

This outlet opens 24hrs for you to satisfy your crave for tim sum even in the midnight!

Address:
    Old Hong Kong Tea House
    86 East Coast Road Block A
    Katong Village (next to Katong Mall)
    Opens 24hrs daily
    Last edited by ch4ngs7er; 15th March 2011 at 08:17 PM.
    My Flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12