Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 478910111419 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Guide to Filters

Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

pardon me if i have not read enuff

i read that tian-ya's filter holder are compatible w cokin p series filter??

but are the tian-ya holder compatible w the rest of the brands?like hoya n stuff??

is there a proper shop front where i can get a tian ya holder beside artworkfoto?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    pardon me if i have not read enuff

i read that tian-ya's filter holder are compatible w cokin p series filter??

but are the tian-ya holder compatible w the rest of the brands?like hoya n stuff??

is there a proper shop front where i can get a tian ya holder beside artworkfoto?
    Tianya holder is built to hold 85mm wide rectangular filters. If the filters are rectangular and 85mm in width, the tianya holder will be able to hold it.

The question you have to ask yourself is if the other filters you are looking at, are they rectangular filters? and are they 85mm in width. BTW, if you are going to spend $10 on a tianya holder, why not just go for a Cokin P holder for $15 and get better build quality? the lens adapter rings you can get tianya's or the no name china ones. But the Cokin holder is better made with better plastic.

You can get tianya holders in many stores now, Orient photo, artworkfoto, sgcamerastore, tagotech, and many others in mass sales.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th September 2011 at 12:18 PM.

hmm, i read that the cokin p holder is available @ Cp, but its always going out of stock i heard..and there might be a problem getting cokin in future?i dun know abt this cos i read that cokin is having problems w their business??i not too sure wor, i spent quite a bit of time reading on CS so i not too sure if info are for real a not
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Tianya holder is built to hold 85mm wide rectangular filters. If the filters are rectangular and 85mm in width, the tianya holder will be able to hold it.

The question you have to ask yourself is if the other filters you are looking at, are they rectangular filters? and are they 85mm in width. BTW, if you are going to spend $10 on a tianya holder, why not just go for a Cokin P holder for $15 and get better build quality? the lens adapter rings you can get tianya's or the no name china ones. But the Cokin holder is better made with better plastic.

You can get tianya holders in many stores now, Orient photo, artworkfoto, sgcamerastore, tagotech, and many others in mass sales.

Blog Entries

hmm, i read that the cokin p holder is available @ Cp, but its always going out of stock i heard..and there might be a problem getting cokin in future?i dun know abt this cos i read that cokin is having problems w their business??i not too sure wor, i spent quite a bit of time reading on CS so i not too sure if info are for real a not
    Yes, Cokin might go out of business. But whats the problem? all 85mm rectangular filters from all brands can fit in ANY 85mm filter holder of all brands. Just like all 100mm rectangular fitlers from all brands can fit in ANY 100mm filter holder from any brand. What's the worry? Are you going to buy a filter holder every month? or the filters from other brands will complain that the holder is not of the same brand?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th September 2011 at 03:09 PM.

Haha probably the filters from other brands are gonna complain and stop working.

Yes, Cokin might go out of business. But whats the problem? all 85mm rectangular filters from all brands can fit in ANY 85mm filter holder of all brands. Just like all 100mm rectangular fitlers from all brands can fit in ANY 100mm filter holder from any brand. What's the worry? Are you going to buy a filter holder every month? or the filters from other brands will complain that the holder is not of the same brand?
    sorry, my initial impression is that different brands are not compatible mah, anyway thanks for answer my questions

Blog Entries

sorry, my initial impression is that different brands are not compatible mah, anyway thanks for answer my questions
    No problem. Slot in filters are quite standard. As mentioned in several posts above, they are all interchangeable as long as the width is the same. More popular widths in the industry are 85mm, 100mm, 130mm and 150mm. The only thing you need to worry about is when you start adding specialty filters to these slotted holders, like CPL or filters with foam gaskets (like the 10 stop ND filters).
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th September 2011 at 07:51 PM.

will there be any vignetting issues when using a normal filter holder/adapter ring instead of a wide-angle holder/wide-adapter ring on a DX body with a 17mm lens? lens diameter is 77mm. filter size of 85mm or 100mm does not matter in this case right?

thanks for suggesting to me, went down to OP, got myself a 67mm ring n the filter holder itself from OP, din buy the ND filter yet, cos they closing soon, wanted to check the tian ya nd filters properly before i buy.

thanks very much for the suggestion to get a cokin, it looks really good stuff

No problem. Slot in filters are quite standard. As mentioned in several posts above, they are all interchangeable as long as the width is the same. More popular widths in the industry are 85mm, 100mm, 130mm and 150mm. The only thing you need to worry about is when you start adding specialty filters to these slotted holders, like CPL or filters with foam gaskets (like the 10 stop ND filters).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    will there be any vignetting issues when using a normal filter holder/adapter ring instead of a wide-angle holder/wide-adapter ring on a DX body with a 17mm lens? lens diameter is 77mm. filter size of 85mm or 100mm does not matter in this case right?
    Should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    I don't think it matters which size you use for the 17mm on crop body...The real issue will come in when you use UWA lens (e.g. 10-20, 11-16) with the 85mm filter (P filter). It's reported that even with the wide-angle holder (which can only hold 1 filter), you may also still get vignetting at the corners which will only be gone at 12mm.

So far, I've yet to encounter this on my Canon with 10-22. probably due to the difference between Nikon 1.5 vs Canon 1.6 crop factor.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

thanks for suggesting to me, went down to OP, got myself a 67mm ring n the filter holder itself from OP, din buy the ND filter yet, cos they closing soon, wanted to check the tian ya nd filters properly before i buy.

thanks very much for the suggestion to get a cokin, it looks really good stuff
    Hi, I'm not sure if I'm the only one who encountered this problem but from my experience with tian ya nd filters, they do give off a reddish colour cast to your photos (I used the nd4 and nd8 filters). Though this can be corrected in post processing, I didn't like the effect very much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iosephos

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm the only one who encountered this problem but from my experience with tian ya nd filters, they do give off a reddish colour cast to your photos (I used the nd4 and nd8 filters). Though this can be corrected in post processing, I didn't like the effect very much.
    This has been widely reported. Even cokin filters gives a magenta cast. That is why many of us has switched to Hitech filters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

I don't think it matters which size you use for the 17mm on crop body...The real issue will come in when you use UWA lens (e.g. 10-20, 11-16) with the 85mm filter (P filter). It's reported that even with the wide-angle holder (which can only hold 1 filter), you may also still get vignetting at the corners which will only be gone at 12mm.

So far, I've yet to encounter this on my Canon with 10-22. probably due to the difference between Nikon 1.5 vs Canon 1.6 crop factor.
    Yup. 1.6 crop factor do help a little. The lens construction also comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by iosephos View Post
    It's common... It's a color cast from super long exposure and/or from stacked NDs. If you do not stack the NDs, you should not be getting color casts < 30 seconds (I have yet to test it >30 sec).
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    It's common... It's a color cast from super long exposure and/or from stacked NDs. If you do not stack the NDs, you should not be getting color casts < 30 seconds (I have yet to test it >30 sec).
    Actually, even for exposures less than 30s you can still get pretty strong color casts sometimes. Sometimes, even without stacking the filters you can get color casts with higher stop NDs as well. The exposure time is not the key determining factor. It depends on the light conditions, the density of the ND used or if you stack the NDs as well as the construction of the filters themselves.

I experienced the colour cast even when I didn't stack the filter and used an exposure of less than 30 seconds. Perhaps I got one that was inconsistently manufactured. As you've mentioned, it was very much worse when I stacked a gnd and nd together - the effect was very unnatural.

This has been widely reported. Even cokin filters gives a magenta cast. That is why many of us has switched to Hitech filters.
    Thanks for the information. Indeed, I have been thinking of switching to Hitech filter as I've read that it's better; and having checked the price, it's still within my budget. On a side note, if you were to just use 2 pieces of filter, (I read that you mentioned that if you have to choose one gnd filter, you will go for the 0.9 soft), which are the 2 that you will choose? Hope you don't mind me asking because my experience with filter is extremely limited. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iosephos View Post
    I experienced the colour cast even when I didn't stack the filter and used an exposure of less than 30 seconds. Perhaps I got one that was inconsistently manufactured. As you've mentioned, it was very much worse when I stacked a gnd and nd together - the effect was very unnatural.

Thanks for the information. Indeed, I have been thinking of switching to Hitech filter as I've read that it's better; and having checked the price, it's still within my budget. On a side note, if you were to just use 2 pieces of filter, (I read that you mentioned that if you have to choose one gnd filter, you will go for the 0.9 soft), which are the 2 that you will choose? Hope you don't mind me asking because my experience with filter is extremely limited. Thanks!
    2 pieces? 0.9 (3stop) GND soft, and 0.9 ND.

Actually, even for exposures less than 30s you can still get pretty strong color casts sometimes. Sometimes, even without stacking the filters you can get color casts with higher stop NDs as well. The exposure time is not the key determining factor. It depends on the light conditions, the density of the ND used or if you stack the NDs as well as the construction of the filters themselves.
    Point noted

Should be fine.

thanks!

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 478910111419 ... LastLast