Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Guide to Filters

Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

For now, 85mm filters will work for you since 67mm filter thread probably mean you are not using a UWA lens. But once you move to UWA lenses, some of those lenses will vignette with 85mm filter holders.

So for a tighter budget with no UWA lenses: Cokin P series standard holder + Tianya/Cokin filters. (85mm)
    For tigther budget with UWA lenses: Cokin P wide angle holder + Tianya/Cokin filters. (85mm)
    If have budget: Lee or Hitech holder + Hitech ND and GND filters. (100mm width).

Thank you very much for your patience and advice.

Personally what do sifus / u recommend Hard or Soft GND as the first GND to start with ?
    With 0.3, 0.6, and 0.9, in term of usefulness, which do you personally recommend, if its the only one GND to buy?

Just to make sure the purchase is accurate. For a lens with 67 mm filter thread, is a typical purchase as follows
    1) a GND filter for eg a LEE or Hitech GND Filter
    2) a filter holder for eg Cokin P Series Filter Holder and
    3) an adapter Ring (with size equivalent to the diameter of the lens)

U recommended LEE Filter Holder vs Cokin Filter Holder... Even the filter holders have a difference?

Many thanks...
    Last edited by samueltan99; 1st August 2011 at 10:53 PM.

Blog Entries

If just getting one gnd, i would get the soft gnd 0.9.

Lee foundation holder is 100mm wide.
    Cokin P holder is 85mm wide.

They use different sizes of filters. Cokin do offer a version called Z-pro series of holder that is 100mm wide also. And Hitech or lee filters can fit in that holder. But pricing is only slightly less than Lee or Hitech holders. But the Lee filter holder is made better.

That said, holders similar to Lee but made in china has been springing up around Singapore. You can find them in mass sales or a camera store at top floor of SLS.

Many thanks for your advice !!!

Thanks for compiling this very useful guide daredevil!

Just some clarifying questions:
    1) is there a physical difference between the Lee & Hitech filter holders (even though they're both 100mm)?
    because I'm thinking of getting Hitech filters (Lee is too expensive!) but I heard somewhere that the Hitech filters are thinner & may not fit the Lee filter as well.

2) Would there be vignetting if you stack two filters using 100mm filter holders (lee/Hitech) at 10mm (crop UWA lens) - either two square filters (GND + ND) or GND + ND110?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stuck
    Thanks for compiling this very useful guide daredevil!

Just some clarifying questions:
    1) is there a physical difference between the Lee & Hitech filter holders (even though they're both 100mm)?
    because I'm thinking of getting Hitech filters (Lee is too expensive!) but I heard somewhere that the Hitech filters are thinner & may not fit the Lee filter as well.

2) Would there be vignetting if you stack two filters using 100mm filter holders (lee/Hitech) at 10mm (crop UWA lens) - either two square filters (GND + ND) or GND + ND110?

Thanks!
    1) I am using hitech filters on lee holder and they work fine.

2) should be fine with two square filters. Nd110 + holder you have to test out. I think should be fine as well. Remember to use the wide angle adapter ring and reduce holder slots to 2.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd August 2011 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks again daredevil!

Nd110 + GND you will have vignette. Also, be prepared to fix nasty cast when u do stacking like that

anyone here using the Hercules filter holder?

Just found out Nikon D7k has a feature Image Overlay.

Can this feature replace/ duplicate GND? For eg, I am taking a picture with strong contrast. Using spot metering. I merge a picture metered at the bright spot, and another picture metered at the darker spot.

Is this image overlay feature similar to HDR?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samueltan99 View Post
    Just found out Nikon D7k has a feature Image Overlay.

Can this feature replace/ duplicate GND? For eg, I am taking a picture with strong contrast. Using spot metering. I merge a picture metered at the bright spot, and another picture metered at the darker spot.

Is this image overlay feature similar to HDR?
    Image overlay is different. If you want to do it digitally, look at HDR, Blending, or digital Graduated effects (photoshop, aperture or lightroom).

For now, 85mm filters will work for you since 67mm filter thread probably mean you are not using a UWA lens. But once you move to UWA lenses, some of those lenses will vignette with 85mm filter holders.

So for a tighter budget with no UWA lenses: Cokin P series standard holder + Tianya/Cokin filters. (85mm)
    For tigther budget with UWA lenses: Cokin P wide angle holder + Tianya/Cokin filters. (85mm)
    If have budget: Lee or Hitech holder + Hitech ND and GND filters. (100mm width).

Good luck.
    Just to confirm before I click " Buy "...

Qn 1: ) My 67mm lens is Nikon 16-85. Would the image be vignette when I shoot at widest 16 mm with 85 mm filter holder, whether landscape mode or protraits mode ?

Qn 2: Adorama and B+H website offers Hitec 85 mm GND that fits P series. https://www.adorama.com/HT85NDSE09.html
    Can I assume the above Hitec 85 mm filter is compatible with Cokin filter holder P, Cokin Adapter Ring : https://www.adorama.com/CKBPP67.html
    Yr earlier advice mentions Hitec filter cannot fit into Cokin P filter holder, becos assumes Hitech offers 100 mm GND, and does not offer 85 mm GND.

Blog Entries

16mm on crop frame sensor will be ok on cokin p

bro daredevil123..

using 550D 15-85mm lens.. newbie to filters.. read thru yr stuff..
    Always like to take landscapes like mountains ..or sea or sunsets..

Any gd filters to recommend from u ?

Is there special technique on using filters ? coz I keep reading abt metering..

Using a CPL at the moment only..

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by droozy; 18th August 2011 at 06:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by droozy View Post
    bro daredevil123..

using 550D 15-85mm lens.. newbie to filters.. read thru yr stuff..
    Always like to take landscapes like mountains ..or sea or sunsets..

Any gd filters to recommend from u ?

Is there special technique on using filters ? coz I keep reading abt metering..

Using a CPL at the moment only..

Thanks so much!
    I encourage you to read through the guide for recommendations and tips and techniques on how to use these filters.

Thanks for the advice of filters. Now it's time to try them out!
    I am thinking of getting the Cokin filter system.

A few questions:
    1) Is the Cokin system compatible with other brand circular polarizers? I have an existing one that I'd like to continue using. Are they also compatible with third party slot-in filters (e.g. Tianya)
    2) What is one filter would you recommend for Newbies to play around with first? For sunrise/ sunsets (e.g. GND2,4,8 etc)
    3) Why does the CS filter price list only has prices from CP? Is it because they are the sole distributor and perhaps offer the cheapest?

First thing first, if you read the section about GND, you will know that GND0.3 = 1 stop GND = GND2. GND0.6 = 2 stops = GND4. and likewise GND0.9 = 3 stops = GND8.

Good luck.
    Argh!! Please ignore question about Cokin holders & Tianya filters. Wasn't really paying attention...

Have you heard of TOKO brand lens filter? Is it a good?. I just bought without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwinkoh View Post
    Have you heard of TOKO brand lens filter? Is it a good?. I just bought without asking.
    nv heard of it...hope you didn't pay too much for it...btw, if it starts to cause flare in your shots, remove it.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    nv heard of it...hope you didn't pay too much for it...btw, if it starts to cause flare in your shots, remove it.
    It cost $18. I hope I did't pay too much. Thanks for the advice.

anyone is using kenko variable ND ? want to get some review before, since the price is like $300+

thanks guys
    Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast