Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3182326272829 LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 570

Thread: Newbie Guide to Filters

  1. #541
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    553

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Noob question, if I use my 6 stop screw on + a 10 stop 100mm will I get as bad vignetting as using a 10 stop screw on with the 6 stop screw on?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #542
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,641
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkersNg View Post
    Noob question, if I use my 6 stop screw on + a 10 stop 100mm will I get as bad vignetting as using a 10 stop screw on with the 6 stop screw on?

    Thanks in advance.
    It really depends on your lens and focal length used.

  3. #543
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    553

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It really depends on your lens and focal length used.
    I'm currently using a Tokina 11-16 mainly at 11mm. Could you please explain more? Thanks
    Last edited by MarkersNg; 3rd January 2014 at 12:59 PM.

  4. #544
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,641
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkersNg View Post
    I'm currently using a Tokina 11-16 mainly at 11mm. Could you please explain more? Thanks
    Construction of the lens matters, some lenses are more forgiving due to the design, some are a little less. For the Tokina 116, it is actually less forgiving. I am quite sure you will run into vignetting problems if you stack filters.

    Also, the longer the focal length, the less vignetting you will get because the FOV becomes narrower, thus the rings on the edge affect it less.

  5. #545
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    heyy does anyone know about th yashica "best in japan" circular polarizer or the hercules one.. i kinda bought the hercules ... 77mm one at 50 bucks and well it does says multicoated and high quality.

  6. #546
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xjosephtbr View Post
    heyy does anyone know about th yashica "best in japan" circular polarizer or the hercules one.. i kinda bought the hercules ... 77mm one at 50 bucks and well it does says multicoated and high quality.
    Haha every filter brand says they are the best and of highest quality. I've used Hercules before and it degrades the IQ a bit though not obvious. $50 is quite ex for a 77mm UV filter but alright for a CPL IMO.

  7. #547
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Anyway this is kinda random but I wanna start landscape photography. I only know abit of basics from some magazines. What brand of nd filters is recommended. Im on a budget of 200 bucks

  8. #548
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xjosephtbr View Post
    Anyway this is kinda random but I wanna start landscape photography. I only know abit of basics from some magazines. What brand of nd filters is recommended. Im on a budget of 200 bucks
    What lens (diameter/focal length) are you using? The smaller the diameter the cheaper round filters are.

    For reputable (and cheap) brands, you can try Haida/lee sw150/cokin P series

  9. #549

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    What lens (diameter/focal length) are you using? The smaller the diameter the cheaper round filters are.

    For reputable (and cheap) brands, you can try Haida/lee sw150/cokin P series
    I wouldn't really call Lee SW150 cheap... Haida and Cokin are reasonable though.

  10. #550

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    very informative and thanks for sharing...

    Learn something today...Haha..

    Cheers

  11. #551
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    553

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    What lens (diameter/focal length) are you using? The smaller the diameter the cheaper round filters are.

    For reputable (and cheap) brands, you can try Haida/lee sw150/cokin P series
    Quote Originally Posted by rh89 View Post
    I wouldn't really call Lee SW150 cheap... Haida and Cokin are reasonable though.
    $509 is by no means cheap

    Haida, now that's cheap and good

  12. #552
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    What about Carl Ziess filters ?
    Also a very imformative post
    Last edited by ekidouuts; 16th September 2014 at 09:59 AM.

  13. #553
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ekidouuts View Post
    What about Carl Ziess filters ?
    Also a very imformative post
    Carl Zeiss? Well, you can expect high quality and high price. Not very common, though.
    EOS

  14. #554
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,641
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Added information on Cross-banding on vari-ND filters.

  15. #555
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,359

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    great information! Thanks!
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

  16. #556

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Just a short question: I'm thinking of buying some Cokin filters. Which store would you recommend in SG and what would be the price? Currently I'm in Germany and was wondering if it would be better to buy them here befor visiting SG.
    Based in Germany | Olympus OM-D E-M10 | www.mohamedelbarkani.de

  17. #557

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    How is the Haida Circular Polarizer (CPL) Filter when compared with Marumi Super DHG?

  18. #558
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Singapore, North East
    Posts
    2,550

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Hi Guys,

    Is is true that 14-24 can only adapt LEE filter system (SW150 - 150mm filter)?

    Or is there any other cheaper brands which I use?

    Thanks in advance!

    Regards,
    Thomas

  19. #559
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cactibin View Post
    Hi Guys, Is is true that 14-24 can only adapt LEE filter system (SW150 - 150mm filter)? Or is there any other cheaper brands which I use? Thanks in advance! Regards, Thomas
    Our good friends Photosphere has 150mm Haida filters. Not sure if they have one specific to 14-24 in terms of holders.

  20. #560
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    I was looking for a circular polariser in local brick and mortar stores but they seemed pretty expensive... So I did a search online and found a store selling them for way cheaper (half-price or less). What do you guys think? Tried to link them but was told I'm not allowed to hmm... It's called GroupHunt, maybe you guys can try googling them?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •