Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 914171819202124 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 570

Thread: Newbie Guide to Filters

  1. #361
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,642
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by aideel View Post
    Filter guide... Just what I need... Thanks daredevil123...
    No problem. Glad you benefited from it.

  2. #362
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,642
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Added more information to GND section... Enjoy.

    I think I will stop here. Many other filters are more specialized. This guide has enough information to cater for the needs up to a serious amateur in landscape shooting. If any of you have questions on more specialized filter and options, feel free to PM me or just ask here in this thread. Thanks all. Hope this guide helps you.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th December 2011 at 12:26 AM.

  3. #363

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Hi i got a very noob question hope u all don't mind about it.

    i jus bought my EOS 600D and now wondering what filter would be suitable for me?
    another question will be what does the millimeter mean? e.g 58mm UV what does the 58mm mean?
    My len is 18-55mm so should i buy a filter that is without this range?

  4. #364

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by tappy View Post
    Hi i got a very noob question hope u all don't mind about it.

    i jus bought my EOS 600D and now wondering what filter would be suitable for me?
    another question will be what does the millimeter mean? e.g 58mm UV what does the 58mm mean?
    My len is 18-55mm so should i buy a filter that is without this range?
    friend you got it so wrong. 58mm UV means 58mm for the diameter of the front of the lens. If you look point your lens at you you should be able to see some threads at the inner side of the lens. Just like screwing a screw down to a hole, you screw the filter down to the lens the same way.

    you should be able to see the filter thread size somewhere at the front of the lens.


    In the left pic, there is a "58mm" printed and this tell you that the lens can only mount 58mm filter. It has nothing to do with your focal length (zoom range).
    Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF 14, 18, 35, 56, 60, 55-200 | EF-X20 speedlite

  5. #365

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Added more information to GND section... Enjoy.

    I think I will stop here. Many other filters are more specialized. This guide has enough information to cater for the needs up to a serious amateur in landscape shooting. If any of you have questions on more specialized filter and options, feel free to PM me or just ask here in this thread. Thanks all. Hope this guide helps you.
    Considering this is a guide for newbies, i think its more than enough. Kudos for the effort in typing it out. Good work. =)

  6. #366

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    btw guys is the lee triple filter wrap worth the buy?

  7. #367
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,642
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    btw guys is the lee triple filter wrap worth the buy?
    Personally, no.

    But different people like different things, and find worth for different things.

  8. #368
    Member counterfeit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    why only ND filters don't have comparison list?

    any recommended brand for ND filters? thx

  9. #369
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,642
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by counterfeit View Post
    why only ND filters don't have comparison list?

    any recommended brand for ND filters? thx
    Comparison list is for brand of filters. Not specific type of filter. Please read carefully.

    I do not know how to recommend when you do not state your requirements and budget.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 16th January 2012 at 11:35 AM.

  10. #370

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Hi DD123,

    I narrowed my choices for ND to B+W ND110 and CPL to Kenko Zeta EX CPL

    what do you think of the above choices? is there any better alternatives at that price range? my budget around 130-150 each

  11. #371
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,642
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfSilence View Post
    Hi DD123,

    I narrowed my choices for ND to B+W ND110 and CPL to Kenko Zeta EX CPL

    what do you think of the above choices? is there any better alternatives at that price range? my budget around 130-150 each
    You have to understand that there is no absolute better or not as good. In the end it is a combination of factors and preferences. The 2 filters you mentioned are quite good and very popular choices. Good Luck.

  12. #372

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Hi DD

    Thank you very much, the thread is very informative.
    After reading it all, i guess we have to really try and to take some shot to experience it before decide what filter works for our shot.
    There is no 1 filter good for everything ya.

  13. #373
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,642
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirrom View Post
    Hi DD

    Thank you very much, the thread is very informative.
    After reading it all, i guess we have to really try and to take some shot to experience it before decide what filter works for our shot.
    There is no 1 filter good for everything ya.
    Yup. You get the filter you need for a certain effect.

  14. #374
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    4,527

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    I've check (TK photo) the price of Lee filter and it cost $120 (holder) + $80 (ring). They do not have Hitech holder and was told won't be bringing in anymore as the price is about the same as Lee filter holder.

    Where can i find the Cokin Z-pro holder and the cost?

  15. #375

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Just go for Lee holder and Hitech filters. Cokin Z-Pro is not common and you might have difficulties getting the right filters.
    Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF 14, 18, 35, 56, 60, 55-200 | EF-X20 speedlite

  16. #376
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413
    Just go for Lee holder and Hitech filters. Cokin Z-Pro is not common and you might have difficulties getting the right filters.
    How is cokin z-pro filter different from others? Aren't they the same 150 x 100mm filters as of Lee and Hitech?
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  17. #377

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    I do not have any experience with Cokin-Z but I do know Lee and Hitech are compatible among each other except for their 10-stops ND whereby you need to specify the Hitech filter thickness.

    You might want to check what is the filter slot thickness for Cokin.
    Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF 14, 18, 35, 56, 60, 55-200 | EF-X20 speedlite

  18. #378
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,642
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    AFAIK Cokin Zpro holder will hold filters from Lee, Hitech, and Singh Ray.

    As for Lee big stopper and Hitech pro 10 stop filters, They come with foam gaskets, so no idea if they will fit right.

    Btw you can find Cokin Z-pro holders in Orient Photo. But it is not that cheap as well.

  19. #379
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    4,527

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Thanks for the info. Orient Photo is close till 1st Feb. will check on the price first.


    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    AFAIK Cokin Zpro holder will hold filters from Lee, Hitech, and Singh Ray.

    As for Lee big stopper and Hitech pro 10 stop filters, They come with foam gaskets, so no idea if they will fit right.

    Btw you can find Cokin Z-pro holders in Orient Photo. But it is not that cheap as well.

  20. #380
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,789

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Wow, that's a long break. But I guess the owners are having a long holiday back home.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 914171819202124 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •