Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 81316171819202328 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 570

Thread: Newbie Guide to Filters

  1. #341

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    i think theres a misunderstanding haha
    the pouch he gave me might be mixed up i tink...on the pouch its labelled as 3mm

    but i measured the filter itself it's 10CM wide..

    but the 10cm wide came w the sponge also
    obviously your Hitech filter is 100mm x 100mm version instead of Cokin-P size
    Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF 14, 18, 35, 56, 60, 55-200 | EF-X20 speedlite

  2. #342
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,787

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Just did the exchange this afternoon... and bought another filter... a reverse GND!
    ^^" Poisonous!!!

    Thanks for the clarification for the thickness and size of the 3mm thickness sq filter.

    The S&F pouch seems to be cheaper nowadays. I think I bought mine at $31 from TK.

    Btw, off my head I think the reverse GND is good for taking Nightscape such as MBS where the bright parts are concentrated in the center. Am I right to say that?
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  3. #343

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    obviously your Hitech filter is 100mm x 100mm version instead of Cokin-P size
    It is the 100mm 1...
    Luckily cos wen I bought it that time I was so excited that I did not specify the length haha

  4. #344

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The filter is 100mm x 100mm... the 3mm refers to the thickness of the foam gasket that is on glued on the filter. When you fit yours into the lee holder, was it very tight?
    No leh not tight at all no problem putting in n out

  5. #345
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,630
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    ^^" Poisonous!!!

    Thanks for the clarification for the thickness and size of the 3mm thickness sq filter.

    The S&F pouch seems to be cheaper nowadays. I think I bought mine at $31 from TK.

    Btw, off my head I think the reverse GND is good for taking Nightscape such as MBS where the bright parts are concentrated in the center. Am I right to say that?
    I bought mine from TK as well, just that I bought it when it was first released.

    anyway, nowadays a lot of things on sale and freebies here and there. Bad economy coming, stores are starting to slash prices...

  6. #346

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Are Rollei UV filters good? Tried to find online but cant find anything much on their filters.

  7. #347
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,630
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by SacredSoul View Post
    Are Rollei UV filters good? Tried to find online but cant find anything much on their filters.
    Not sure. Rollei was a respectable camera brand back in the day. It has gone through tough times... You can read up what happened to Rollei here...

    Rollei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Personally, I will not buy any their current stuff for serious use.

  8. #348

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    I think I got chopped. Paid 35 for Rollei UV filter. It was 2x more than Hoya. Shoulda have done my research but the filter seems work alright. No degrading in IQ to my untrained eyes.

  9. #349
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SacredSoul
    I think I got chopped. Paid 35 for Rollei UV filter. It was 2x more than Hoya. Shoulda have done my research but the filter seems work alright. No degrading in IQ to my untrained eyes.
    $35 for what size filter? It seems pretty close to a standard Hoya filter.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  10. #350
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,630
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by SacredSoul View Post
    I think I got chopped. Paid 35 for Rollei UV filter. It was 2x more than Hoya. Shoulda have done my research but the filter seems work alright. No degrading in IQ to my untrained eyes.
    Shoot it with bright contrast or night scenes, and you might be able to tell. Also, there are many grades of Hoya. Not all are superb.

    BTW $35 not so bad la. as long as you don't get chopped $100+ for a lousy filter.

  11. #351

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    $35 for what size filter? It seems pretty close to a standard Hoya filter.
    52mm. I didnt try any high contrast shots but took one of lamps. Looks fine to me.


  12. #352
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SacredSoul

    52mm. I didnt try any high contrast shots but took one of lamps. Looks fine to me.
    Well, I won't say u are chopped. Dun worry abt it.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  13. #353

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Well, I won't say u are chopped. Dun worry abt it.
    Good to know, thank you! It was a impluse purchase. Just went down to a shop during my break and got it. Lol. Thanks again!

  14. #354
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,630
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by SacredSoul View Post
    Good to know, thank you! It was a impluse purchase. Just went down to a shop during my break and got it. Lol. Thanks again!
    Not so bad la. Your picture looks good too. Next time buy Kenko Pro 1 D. 52mm cost $25 only.

  15. #355

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    brother..can use nd110 on uwa for landscape shooting at night? say take photo of MBS...
    D90 / 18-105mm / Sigma 50mm F1.4 / Nikkor 35-70 MF / Tokina 11-16mm F2.8

  16. #356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iandao
    brother..can use nd110 on uwa for landscape shooting at night? say take photo of MBS...
    I don't think you'll need a 10 stop nd at night. Unless you are trying to achieve a ultra long exposure.

  17. #357

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    oh yeah..just wanna test it out~

    but dunno how long shld the duration of exposure be..

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    I don't think you'll need a 10 stop nd at night. Unless you are trying to achieve a ultra long exposure.
    D90 / 18-105mm / Sigma 50mm F1.4 / Nikkor 35-70 MF / Tokina 11-16mm F2.8

  18. #358
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,630
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by iandao View Post
    oh yeah..just wanna test it out~

    but dunno how long shld the duration of exposure be..
    Please read the guide on ND filters. I did mention how to calculate exposure times for ND filters, especially the ND110. After you have read it and have more questions, then ask here. No point repeating what I already covered in the guide.

  19. #359
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,630
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Section on GND filters has just been added. Enjoy!

  20. #360
    Member aideel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Yishun, Singapore
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Filter guide... Just what I need... Thanks daredevil123...
    ~ waiting for my X1.1a Adrian to arrive ~

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 81316171819202328 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •