Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 570

Thread: Newbie Guide to Filters

  1. #221

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Hi I am absolutely new to dslr photography. I just received a a35 camera as a present and wanted to get in to photography now.

    When using ND / Polarizer filters, which mode do you use in?

  2. #222

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    ND400 = just multiply shutter speed by 400.
    what does this mean? so if i use a nd4 means i multiply the shutter speed by 4? newbie here, wanna get into landscape photography and reading up on filters. i've seen some videos on using nd filters but i don't get what they mean.

    some filters reduce the stop by 1 or 2, so what are the things that i need to do to compensate those stops?

  3. #223
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by samson- View Post
    what does this mean? so if i use a nd4 means i multiply the shutter speed by 4? newbie here, wanna get into landscape photography and reading up on filters. i've seen some videos on using nd filters but i don't get what they mean.

    some filters reduce the stop by 1 or 2, so what are the things that i need to do to compensate those stops?
    If you use a ND4, and if you keep aperture and iso unchanged, you need to multiply your shutter speed by 4 to get the same correct exposure. BTW, if you did not know (and did not read the guide I posted), ND4 = 2 stop reduction in exposure.

    If you do not understand the use of ND, it means you do not need it yet.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd October 2011 at 09:52 AM.

  4. #224
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by LT SIN View Post
    Hi I am absolutely new to dslr photography. I just received a a35 camera as a present and wanted to get in to photography now.

    When using ND / Polarizer filters, which mode do you use in?
    Your camera works the same way. The ND or Polarizer are just add on filters to the front of the lens. They do not require that you use the camera in a certain way.

  5. #225

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    because im only using a nikkor 17-55mm (diameter 77mm) and a 85mm filter can fit the bill so i see no point in getting a 100mm sized filter.

    the build of p series holder seem kinda flimsy and am wondering if there are any other filter holder that are of a better build. any advice?

    besides, when i talked to the sales person, the person simply took out the filter holder in a box where they dump all the filter holder in, no packaging whatever. its just like a bunch of crap chucked aside in the shop. was told that it is a norm not to have any packaging and that the adapter ring is a generic ring, no brand no packaging etc. true anot ah?

  6. #226

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you use a ND4, and if you keep aperture and iso unchanged, you need to multiply your shutter speed by 4 to get the same correct exposure. BTW, if you did not know (and did not read the guide I posted), ND4 = 2 stop reduction in exposure.

    If you do not understand the use of ND, it means you do not need it yet.
    yes boss, think i understand liao. have been reading and watching some stuff online till i got confused. thanks for clearing up the misconception i had.

  7. #227
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    because im only using a nikkor 17-55mm (diameter 77mm) and a 85mm filter can fit the bill so i see no point in getting a 100mm sized filter.

    the build of p series holder seem kinda flimsy and am wondering if there are any other filter holder that are of a better build. any advice?

    besides, when i talked to the sales person, the person simply took out the filter holder in a box where they dump all the filter holder in, no packaging whatever. its just like a bunch of crap chucked aside in the shop. was told that it is a norm not to have any packaging and that the adapter ring is a generic ring, no brand no packaging etc. true anot ah?
    If it is Tianya filter holder or some China copy filter holder, then that is the case. The original Cokin ones all come packaged nicely with brochures and manuals. BTW Cokin P filter holder only cost around $15. Not that far off from Tianya. And Tianya holder is really flimsy.

    Please note that Cokin went into financial trouble and has stopped production for a while. It has been since bought over by Kenko-Tokina group in July. Let's see how it pans out...
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1107/11...okinbuyout.asp

    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd October 2011 at 05:32 PM.

  8. #228

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    are there any other better build 85mm filter holders? cokin z-pro an alternative to lee foundation kit?

  9. #229
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    are there any other better build 85mm filter holders? cokin z-pro an alternative to lee foundation kit?
    You can buy the one from Hitech. They offer 85mm as well.

    Cokin Z-pro is 100mm yes. But I do not like the construction as much as the Lee foundation kit. And their prices are not very far apart.

  10. #230

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    thanks for all the info and updates. seems that its impossible to get hitech 85mm filter holder other than shipping it in right? did some calculation, after shipping and conversion, the price is pretty close to a lee foundation kit, difference about 20 bucks plus minus. any idea whats the price range of a cokin z-pro? looked at its review, doesn't seem that bad after all haha.

  11. #231
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    thanks for all the info and updates. seems that its impossible to get hitech 85mm filter holder other than shipping it in right? did some calculation, after shipping and conversion, the price is pretty close to a lee foundation kit, difference about 20 bucks plus minus. any idea whats the price range of a cokin z-pro? looked at its review, doesn't seem that bad after all haha.
    For local pricing of Cokin Z-pro, you can just make a phone call to Orient Photo. They open at 11am. I remember seeing one or 2 sets a while back.

    You can compare the pricing here:
    Cokin Z-PRO Filter Holder (Requires Adapter Ring) CBZ100 B&H
    LEE Filters Foundation Kit FK B&H Photo Video

  12. #232

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    thanks. was considering cokin p series holder with hitech filters. what do you think?

  13. #233
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesy
    thanks. was considering cokin p series holder with hitech filters. what do you think?
    If u are only ever going to use it on ur 17-55mm, I think ur choice is ok. If u can still find cokin filter, they are cheaper than hitech (I think). Wider lens such as 11-16 from tokina will have problems @ 11mm, just a heads up before ur final decision.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  14. #234

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    thanks man. if im gonna move to UWA then i really need to get 100mm sized filters liao.

    i looked around, seems that there are only tianya and cokin that sells 85mm filter holder locally.

  15. #235
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,789

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    They are very cheap liao man

    Cokin is a single piece holder though, meaning u cannot stack multiple filters.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  16. #236
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    They are very cheap liao man

    Cokin is a single piece holder though, meaning u cannot stack multiple filters.
    Cokin offers both the standard P holder (with 3 slots) and the wide angle P hold (with 1 slot). I had both at one point in time.

  17. #237
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    Cokin offers both the standard P holder (with 3 slots) and the wide angle P hold (with 1 slot). I had both at one point in time.
    Ah, thanks for the correction.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  18. #238

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    btw guys, am i right to say that the polarizer can be placed in the nearest slot of the filter holder? alternatively, there an option to place it at the mounting ring?

  19. #239
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    btw guys, am i right to say that the polarizer can be placed in the nearest slot of the filter holder? alternatively, there an option to place it at the mounting ring?
    If you get the Cokin P series polarizer, there is only one location to put it on the holder. The edges of the polarizer go into a slot other than the slots that holds filters, but the thickness of the polarizer will take up the innermost slot.


  20. #240

    Default Re: Newbie Guide to Filters

    woah thanks for the photo, makes things so much clearer. so i believe that the lee foundation set has its polarizer mounted on the outside?

    btw, do your think that its a waste to use a 100mm instead of 85mm filter on a widest 17mm focal length?

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •