I'm a new member here (who lurks in the forums), when I saw this contest I thought immediately of the members of this forum.
Not sure if anyone has already posted this, but I've checked this forum and didn't find anything about this competition.

National Geographic is holding an annual photo contest!
Here are the details taken from the website

As a leader in capturing our world through brilliant imagery, National Geographic sets the standard for photographic excellence. Now you can share your vision of the world. Enter to win $10,000 and have your photo published in National Geographic magazine! Photos will be judged on creativity and photographic quality.

Submit your entry online in any of these three categories: People, Places, and Nature. The submission period ends November 30 at 9 a.m. Winners will be announced in early December. There is an entry fee of U.S. $15 per photo. Send us your best shot!

I've always loved the photos from Nat Geo, it would be really cool if people here get recognised in such international competitions

Not only do they have this contest, but they also have a section whereby you can submit your shots to the Nat Geo team, and if they like it they'll publish it.

Do read photo guidelines and contest requirements, you do need to register and pay US$15 in fees, so it's not a free competition...But it's Nat Geo!
Good luck everyone!