Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

  1. #1

    Default What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Hi all,

    I'm very new to photography and hope everyone will guide me along.

    Recently I have stumbled on some of the entries for the Nat Geo Photography competition here:
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...photograp.html

    and am wondering what kind of camera is needed to take those photos? Also same with the following:
    http://matadornetwork.com/trips/phot...capes-on-earth

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    You probably just need.. a camera. Fullstop.
    Olympian

  3. #3

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    You probably just need.. a camera. Fullstop.
    handphone camera perhaps the idea is to be there and then
    Canon EOS 550D|BG-E8|Tamron 17-50 f2.8|18-55mm IS|55-250mm IS|
    Flickr

  4. #4

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    someone with very good eye for photography, a good camera, and of course, good post processing skills. that should do it for those images.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Quote Originally Posted by deathrequiem View Post
    handphone camera perhaps the idea is to be there and then
    With regards to the 2nd link, I think the idea is just... to be there. The landscapes are amazing- although it takes an experienced photographer to capture that well.
    Olympian

  6. #6
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    u wun go wrong by buying the most expensive camera, top of the line lens, and tripod.

  7. #7

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    some really nice pics...

    btw, need more that a camera.... a fat wallet and a plane or helicopter is required too!

  8. #8

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    I do suggest you learn more about photography first. Once you have some knowledge, the answers are quite obvious.

    In all cases, it could be ANY DSLR camera. The key are the lenses. For the bee shot, he obviously used a fisheye lens. For the wildlife shot, a telephoto zoom lens. Many of those shots could be taken with a kit lens. For the underwater shot, he probably had an underwater casing. Some pictues have a clear description... long exposure, tripod, etc.

    The trick is to be in the right place at the right time and not have forgotten your camera.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    I agree with most said.
    You have to be there. with a camera and ready.
    Any decent camera may do.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  10. #10

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Thanks all for your replies.

    Special thanks to Rashkae i found your answer very informative. Will continue to read up ... i have no idea on lenses so it was a interesting perspective you gave me.

    I don't really want to spend a lot, but from some threads i have read here asking someone to recommend a camera is almost like starting a war haha.

    Thanks everyone!

  11. #11

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I agree with most said.
    You have to be there. with a camera and ready.
    Any decent camera may do.
    What kind of camera do you consider decent? At least a DSLR with lens and tripod?

  12. #12

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    I personally think that there is another very important aspect which is patience.
    They can camp at a location for days out in the jungle or safari just to capture that single magical moment. And these photos are really the cream of the crop of the whole series (up to thousands of shots for animal action) that the photographer took.

  13. #13
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Quote Originally Posted by pillz View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm very new to photography and hope everyone will guide me along.

    Recently I have stumbled on some of the entries for the Nat Geo Photography competition here:
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...photograp.html

    and am wondering what kind of camera is needed to take those photos? Also same with the following:
    http://matadornetwork.com/trips/phot...capes-on-earth

    Thanks!
    Basically a DSLR with any decent lens can shoot that way. But you'd need to understand the subject and how you need to expose the shot to get the result you want.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  14. #14
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I do suggest you learn more about photography first. Once you have some knowledge, the answers are quite obvious.

    In all cases, it could be ANY DSLR camera. The key are the lenses. For the bee shot, he obviously used a fisheye lens. For the wildlife shot, a telephoto zoom lens. Many of those shots could be taken with a kit lens. For the underwater shot, he probably had an underwater casing. Some pictues have a clear description... long exposure, tripod, etc.

    The trick is to be in the right place at the right time and not have forgotten your camera.
    Well said.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    A better camera you can buy with money but not patience.

  16. #16

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Quote Originally Posted by pillz View Post
    What kind of camera do you consider decent? At least a DSLR with lens and tripod?
    that is a start.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  17. #17

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    When you are asking questions like these, you will usually get more trash answers than constructive ones... The pictures in the link provided are taken with different lenses from fish eye lens, ultra-wide, etc. Read up a bit from the internet and I believe you will benefit more from reading trash.

    Quote Originally Posted by pillz View Post
    Thanks all for your replies.

    Special thanks to Rashkae i found your answer very informative. Will continue to read up ... i have no idea on lenses so it was a interesting perspective you gave me.

    I don't really want to spend a lot, but from some threads i have read here asking someone to recommend a camera is almost like starting a war haha.

    Thanks everyone!

  18. #18
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    A better camera you can buy with money but not patience.


    Patience is the key word, and you need to be there, ten years ago... 1 year ago... yesterday...today and tomorrow just to get that magic shoot. If above is no possible, just view and enjoy, this is part of the life.

    .
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    156

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Quote Originally Posted by virtualme78 View Post
    When you are asking questions like these, you will usually get more trash answers than constructive ones... The pictures in the link provided are taken with different lenses from fish eye lens, ultra-wide, etc. Read up a bit from the internet and I believe you will benefit more from reading trash.
    Perhaps your language can be milder mate, nothing against you personally, but using the word trash doesn't really substantiate your reply as constructive. I do believe there are things to learnt in this forum, from criticism to advices, people can learn differently, just like how trashy junk food can still keep people running

    As for TS, any decent PnS or DSLR would do, but photographs like these requires years of experience and practice, and of course resources that are probably sponsored too..
    Last edited by zozzcyx; 25th November 2010 at 10:55 PM.
    Canon 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50 f/1.4 USM | 580EXII |

  20. #20

    Default Re: What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

    Quote Originally Posted by virtualme78 View Post
    When you are asking questions like these, you will usually get more trash answers than constructive ones... The pictures in the link provided are taken with different lenses from fish eye lens, ultra-wide, etc. Read up a bit from the internet and I believe you will benefit more from reading trash.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •