Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hands-on w/ SMC DA 18-135/3.5-5.6 Lens (Many Photos)

Default Re: Hands-on w/ SMC DA 18-135/3.5-5.6 Lens (Many Photos)

This ticks all the right boxes for a travel lens - small & light, useful focal range, WR as a bonus.

I'm not too impressed by the colours and optical quality though, it seems pretty close to kit lens quality.

But its definitely a winner when you compare it to any of the other mid range superzooms from the other brands.

Klaus from photozone.de just got himself a K-5 and DA 18-135 kit, it should be interesting to hear his comments about it.

Thanks for the hands-on FW! I preordered the 18-135 together with my K5 one month ago and now just hoping to get my hands on the lens as soon as it is in stock..
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post
    This ticks all the right boxes for a travel lens - small & light, useful focal range, WR as a bonus.

I'm not too impressed by the colours and optical quality though, it seems pretty close to kit lens quality.

But its definitely a winner when you compare it to any of the other mid range superzooms from the other brands.

Klaus from photozone.de just got himself a K-5 and DA 18-135 kit, it should be interesting to hear his comments about it.
    Maybe he will start testing lenses with a higher res K5 rather than a K10.

I love MJ.

Got a call from them this evening telling me the 18-135 was in stock for those who pre-ordered and if I's be interested in collecting (Yes, I will be!). I spoke to them after I collected my K-5 when that was first available that I might not go with the lens.

What service! If only they took over dealership of all the other brands! LOL

What kind of post processing did TS use? Individually processed for maximum effect?

Nowadays realize not much time to PP, so most of the time I shoot JPEG straight out. Any benefits to doing this compared to shooting in RAW then using the computer to process them (using default settings, as I said not much time to PP pictures nowadays). I realize some people may argue the processor on the computer is vastly more powerful compared to the chip in the camera, but then again the chip in the camera is designed to do one thing really really fast (convert the electrical signals and process them to jpeg), so this argument doesn't really convince me.

One advantage is if there is a photo I really like, I can further enhance using the RAW file.

any one order from here?
    Click here
    Do u think is cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    any one order from here?
    Click here
    Do u think is cheaper?
    Warranty?
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

I suppose hv the warranty from amazon, but again, if got problem, a little troublesome to send back

Lenses warranty are international

Quote Originally Posted by gtl1987 View Post
    are u sure?

Maybe I am wrong, taken from Pentax USA website:

New PENTAX products do not automatically come with an international warranty that covers all PENTAX products around the world. However, it is possible to obtain an International Warranty Card through PENTAX Imaging Company after you have purchased a PENTAX product. If you bought your PENTAX product in the United States and are traveling to a foreign country for an extended period of time, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are abroad. We will also send you a list of authorized service centers around the world.

To obtain an International Warranty Card, please send the below-listed items to PENTAX Imaging Company, 600 12th Street, Suite 300, Golden, CO 80401:
    A copy of your dated proof of purchase, with the name and address of the U.S. dealer.
    The serial number on your PENTAX product (if it has one).

If you bought your PENTAX product in another country, and you are planning to visit the United States, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are within the United States. You will need to send us the following items:
    A copy of your dated proof of purchase.
    The serial number on your PENTAX product (if it has one).
    We will fill out an International Warranty Card and mail it to you. The time period and product coverage provided by the International Warranty Card is the same as the standard PENTAX Limited Warranty (as specified above).

thanks for the info
    Any idea is the lens cheaper if buy locally?
    If around the same price then no point

Quote Originally Posted by gtl1987 View Post
    Are you sure it is automatically international? you need to write to Pentax USA to a specified person to ask for it and you will need to furnish the details of the lens bought in the USA.

I cannot remember who but there was a thread that was talking about it some time back.
    Pentaxian for Life

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Are you sure it is automatically international? you need to write to Pentax USA to a specified person to ask for it and you will need to furnish the details of the lens bought in the USA.

I cannot remember who but there was a thread that was talking about it some time back.
    I read abt it before and I think it was our dear FW who did it before . But that was like few years back before Emjay take over
    My Flickr ->Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post
    I read abt it before and I think it was our dear FW who did it before . But that was like few years back before Emjay take over
    A number of them did. It is still relevant though, as seen from the posts above from Pentax USA.
    Pentaxian for Life

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    any one order from here?
    Click here
    Do u think is cheaper?
    Hmmmm... Warranty aside. It's really cheaper!
    Too bad I already got my copy last saturday.
    Dunno why is amazon able to sell this lens at such a price?
    Or this goes to show that emjay pricing for this lens is still not competitive enough?

Bro you got your copy at Sitex last Sat?

Quote Originally Posted by seafone View Post
    Hmmmm... Warranty aside. It's really cheaper!
    Too bad I already got my copy last saturday.
    Dunno why is amazon able to sell this lens at such a price?
    Or this goes to show that emjay pricing for this lens is still not competitive enough?
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80 View Post
    Bro you got your copy at Sitex last Sat?
    Didn't have time to go down to sitex.
    Pre-ordered it with the k5 in October, only get to have it last Saturday. Hahaa.. Over priced kit lens.

Anyone want to organize group order from USA?

Quote Originally Posted by siewsphone View Post
    Anyone want to organize group order from USA?
    US price is a lot cheaper than SG price mah? As far as I know the lens cost 7xx SGD here locally, while it's 5xx USD in the US. Plus shipping and probably GST, don't think it's worth the effort.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast