Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [GRbenji #01] Night Macro @ Mandai Trail 26 Nov 2010 (Discussions)

Default [GRbenji #01] Night Macro @ Mandai Trail 26 Nov 2010 (Discussions)

This thread is meant for queries and discussion for above outing here.
    Last edited by GRbenji; 22nd November 2010 at 10:01 PM.

Default Re: [GRbenji #01] Night Macro @ Mandai Trail 26 Nov 2010 (Discussions)

Thanks Jacobs for your support. With you around, my confidence is boosted.

Will it be scary ?? Never try night

Quote Originally Posted by yilin View Post
    Will it be scary ?? Never try night
    It's a very different experience. It's dark in there, but we have torches (a must have) and we won't be alone.

Koh, do remember this coming saturday is our sun chaser day..
    So, we can continue overnight till next morning for the sunset shooting..
    雅各士 - ジェイコブ
    EOS
    5D3 + Luxury Lenses|Hope To Make Someone Happy By Showing My Pictures|

Won't forget.

Need to learn landscape shooting from you.

sounds interesting.. i've never gone land macro shooting before. not sure if my schedule permits to join though.

can i put myself down as a tentative?
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    sounds interesting.. i've never gone land macro shooting before. not sure if my schedule permits to join though.

can i put myself down as a tentative?
    Come come.....bring your sola 600 and poison us.

Its just behind my reservist camp! Haha... Anyways, wondering if i can join a bit later cos work finish at 7 for me and will take some time to get there?

The place we are going to shoot is the Mandai track 15 on the map (refer to the map which provide at Koh outing thread). The exact location is at the junction between Mandai road and the Mandai Lake road. In the day time, this is a mountain biker track as well.

Parking will be along the Mandai main road (opp.the Mandai track). There are two plots of parking lots for about 8 to 10 vehicles. usually lorry will park there.

For night macro, you need a strong LED light for searching insects and a smaller LED light source to assist in the focusing.
    雅各士 - ジェイコブ
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Come come.....bring your sola 600 and poison us.
    haha i wonder if the red light works on land insects too? but i doubt it..
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobs View Post
    The place we are going to shoot is the Mandai track 15 on the map (refer to the map which provide at Koh outing thread). The exact location is at the junction between Mandai road and the Mandai Lake road. In the day time, this is a mountain biker track as well.

Parking will be along the Mandai main road (opp.the Mandai track). There are two plots of parking lots for about 8 to 10 vehicles. usually lorry will park there.

For night macro, you need a strong LED light for searching insects and a smaller LED light source to assist in the focusing.
    Wah piang! Track 15! Almost fell a few times while cycling off track there.

If you guys know the way, it links all the way across BKE directly to Zheng Hua park if you guys are interested.
    Last edited by Smiles88; 23rd November 2010 at 11:55 AM.
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

how much lights do we need for night focusing actually? i think its hard to hold a torch and focus while holding camera?
    Tih

How to define strong LED ? # of LEDs ?

Quote Originally Posted by tishfire View Post
    how much lights do we need for night focusing actually? i think its hard to hold a torch and focus while holding camera?
    Focusing light no need to be very bright, but if you are using it also for spotting bugs, than a powerful torch is useful.

Better to improvised way to mount torch for focusing on camera. Otherwise, can be difficult with 1 hand holding focus light and left with 1 hand for camera.

I'll be having 2 torches. 1 mount on camera for focusing and another for spotting. This way no need to swing the entire camera setup.

Quote Originally Posted by yilin View Post
    How to define strong LED ? # of LEDs ?
    Some torches have specs too. Light power is in lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Focusing light no need to be very bright, but if you are using it also for spotting bugs, than a powerful torch is useful.

Better to improvised way to mount torch for focusing on camera. Otherwise, can be difficult with 1 hand holding focus light and left with 1 hand for camera.

I'll be having 2 torches. 1 mount on camera for focusing and another for spotting. This way no need to swing the entire camera setup.
    If you dont mind, Will you be able to give some simple guide on what kinda torch and quick way to mount on dslr? Hope to get this done asap.
    Tih

Quote Originally Posted by tishfire View Post
    If you dont mind, Will you be able to give some simple guide on what kinda torch and quick way to mount on dslr? Hope to get this done asap.
    If you've seen my setup, I tied torch to the arm. Other tape torch to flash. Just make sure torch beam shine around the focus location. If using build-in, then may be difficult to mount.

But don't be overly worry. Chances are others will be around waiting to shoot and can shine their torch for you.

Anyone else has ideas to share too?
    Last edited by GRbenji; 23rd November 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Share my focusing & spotting Flashlight:

Olight M20 Warrior Special Operations

So far I'm shooting with both hand holding the flashlight and together with the camera..
    雅各士 - ジェイコブ
    EOS

hmm, looks like have to go for a shooting to know how it to do it. thanks for sharing, no flash light, maybe have to go buy one or dig for 1 in my store, but it will be a big one

so jacobs, how much u got urs for?
    Tih

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast