Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    And how about MBS? Everyone must be sick of it now eh? Just that same 3 towers... but do you know how many angles you capture that building? and it feels fresh every time.. Here are some I shot.. only a small fraction of what is possible...

Nice, sky is the limit.

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

And how about MBS? Everyone must be sick of it now eh? Just that same 3 towers... but do you know how many angles you capture that building? and it feels fresh every time.. Here are some I shot.. only a small fraction of what is possible...

I like this one best. got a link to a bigger pic for me to enjoy? Thanks.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Good observation! Yes, I totally agree with this statement!

I know the patriotic ones will say, Stop complaining or find excuses. There are lots of gems out there. As a photographer you have to seek them out.

My counter-argument is, sure, you can find different angles. Interesting change in your camera composition. But at the end of the day, who you kidding? The subject is the same.

Think of it this way. You can shoot the same professional model 100 times. If she is experienced enough, she will give you 100 different poses. And with different clothes, hairstyle and make-up, definitely your 100 shots will look fresh and different. BUT! Who are you kidding? It's the same model! I don't know about you, after a while, I find it hard to deceive myself it's not boring.

Of cos, from photography point of view, you can argue you will have infinitely different ways to photograph the scene or people. So coming back to the Singapore landscape issue, all I can say is, sure, you can go back to the same friggin' place and photograph the CBD buildings, NDP, beach scenes, reservoirs 1 million times at different times of the day, different occasions, etc etc. Sure, they look different. Sure, from photography point of view you seem to be competent. But really, do you get bored? I do!

And another thing is, at the risk of sounding whiny, I hate the weather here. The high humidity and heat put me off. No, I'm no couch potato. I've taken shots outdoors but more of that in the past. These days, hardly, unless if I have the mood, due to the weather and as mentioned earlier, the boring landscapes here.

Another issue is the darn sky. Usually it's boring white. Nice blue skies are rare. Ok, sure there are. Sure, people here will start posting their blue sky shots after I say this. I'm not saying there are no blue skies, but it's relative. I've been traveling quite a bit and if you compare singapore to many other countries (don't even have to be exotic), if singapore is interesting and has many places to shoot as some may argue,then I think I am fair to say in overseas countries, it's orgasmic (sorry can't find a better word!) to shoot and you won't finish shooting in your entire lifetime!
    It is not about being patriotic. Most of the people saying that singapore is not boring are the very ones who have lived abroad and know better.

That darn Singapore sky? I can tell you Singapore sky is very beautiful. Compare that to skies you see in Shanghai, Chongqing, Taipei and Seattle. Singapore sky is a godsend.

If you want to see different locations all the time, you can just flip some magazines or watch TV. Photography is different. It is about being there, the smell of morning dew, the view of that ray of first light. Actually it is not only about photography... have you just sat under a tree, enjoying the breeze and watching how the wind blows the trees, the rustling in the leaves? It is not about the place or the humidity. I've spend many mornings and afternoons during my JC days, just sitting under a tree at a field watching.

If one would only quiet down the heart, one will be able to see beauty in the most minute details...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I like this one best. got a link to a bigger pic for me to enjoy? Thanks.
    In my landscape thread bro. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741165
    Last edited by daredevil123; 25th November 2010 at 09:56 AM.

Good observation! Yes, I totally agree with this statement!

I know the patriotic ones will say, Stop complaining or find excuses. There are lots of gems out there. As a photographer you have to seek them out.
    I can safely make a deduction that TS have shoot much of Singapore. Where are TS photos of Singapore?
    Last edited by coolthought; 25th November 2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: grammer
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

For me, its not about running out of places to shoot. I just need more time!!!

It is not about being patriotic. Most of the people saying that singapore is not boring are the very ones who have lived abroad and know better.

That darn Singapore sky? I can tell you Singapore sky is very beautiful. Compare that to skies you see in Shanghai, Chongqing, Taipei and Seattle. Singapore sky is a godsend.

If you want to see different locations all the time, you can just flip some magazines or watch TV. Photography is different. It is about being there, the smell of morning dew, the view of that ray of first light. Actually it is not only about photography... have you just sat under a tree, enjoying the breeze and watching how the wind blows the trees, the rustling in the leaves? It is not about the place or the humidity. I've spend many mornings and afternoons during my JC days, just sitting under a tree at a field watching.

If one would only quiet down the heart, one will be able to see beauty in the most minute details...
    Yes, I see your point. To, me there are no right or wrong answers. This kind of topic can be argued to death without much conclusion. Like asking which brand of camera is best. I think at the very best, we can only say it's a difference of opinions.

Just as you mentioned some like singapore after staying here for long, I've also come across my fair share of expatriate colleagues who say they don't like singapore because either of the weather and most commonly, it's too "wholesome" and does not have any "rustic charm". Everything looks too perfect and regulated. All of them have since left singapore to either go back to their countries or work elsewhere. In fact many of them came here cos it's a good base to see the other more interesting parts of SE asia like thailand, cambodia, etc.

I'm not saying singapore has no good places to photograph. But after a while, yeah, TO ME (my opinion), it's boring. Not cos you can't find different angles to shoot from, but it's the same old subject. The chances of you getting better lighting, fantastic skies is a lot higher in temperate countries than Singapore. Of cos there are days where the place looks terrible but not for long. But cos the places are so big, you feel uninhabited. Like I said, if you feel singapore is a joy to shoot, if there are 10 different angles you can take on the MBS or buildings for eg, then there are 1000 or more different angles and subjects you can shoot overseas!

The disadvantage with singapore is its equatorial location, and its tiny size. There is nothing we can change about that.

Ok, just how i feel. One man's meat is another man's poison...

Think of it this way. You can shoot the same professional model 100 times. If she is experienced enough, she will give you 100 different poses. And with different clothes, hairstyle and make-up, definitely your 100 shots will look fresh and different. BUT! Who are you kidding? It's the same model! I don't know about you, after a while, I find it hard to deceive myself it's not boring.

And another thing is, at the risk of sounding whiny, I hate the weather here. The high humidity and heat put me off. No, I'm no couch potato. I've taken shots outdoors but more of that in the past. These days, hardly, unless if I have the mood, due to the weather and as mentioned earlier, the boring landscapes here.

Another issue is the darn sky. Usually it's boring white. Nice blue skies are rare. Ok, sure there are. Sure, people here will start posting their blue sky shots after I say this. I'm not saying there are no blue skies, but it's relative. I've been traveling quite a bit and if you compare singapore to many other countries (don't even have to be exotic), if singapore is interesting and has many places to shoot as some may argue,then I think I am fair to say in overseas countries, it's orgasmic (sorry can't find a better word!) to shoot and you won't finish shooting in your entire lifetime!
    (1) you obviously have limited knowledge of model photography. i don't partake in it, but someone i'm close to does, and you'd be surprised how many different the models can look when styled differently. a good model is a versatile one. the modelling industry doesn't seem to tire of the same ol' few models at the top, neither do the photographers. your analogy does not stand.

(2) ok, you don't like the humidity. somehow, based on this statement, i suspect you would also find climbing mountains a pain in the arse, trekking 5 miles through swamps to get to a beach a pain in the arse, and going out in the winter cold a pain in the arse. i don't see how humidity is so much more painful than any other obstacles you might face elsewhere.

(3) and you think there are places with blue skies all the time? please stay in london for 3 years, and then come back again with your opinion of singapore's weather. granted, there are indeed places with nice weather... but so? i suspect that after a while, you will complain that there are no boring white skies. life is never as sweet without the sour, if you are complaining that it's not easy to get blue skies, then you have no idea how i feel when i see blue skies in london. if you're in it for orgasmic feelings, then blue skies in the midst of loads of white, grey, overcast crap would really give you an orgasm.

it's easy to sit on your high horse and say that "wa, singapore so sian". as i had pointed out earlier, there are people from overseas who can find fresh angles, to the point that i cannot recognise that it is singapore, and have to ask them where it was taken, or do my homework to triangulate the location.

at the end of the day, i don't know if you're married or attached or even in love. are you saying that after 1 or 2 years, the woman is the same, her shape is the same (or maybe she became a bit more out of shape), her voice is the same, so boring...?

you may make the statement that you don't find singapore conducive for the sort of shots you like. fair enough - singapore has its cons - it doesn't have a clear horizon (which is why soulfly has to clone most of his minimalist works), it doesn't really have grand mountains per se, nor grand sprawling cliffs at the coast. but it is by no means less unique, and it's sad that you can't see that.

The chances of you getting better lighting, fantastic skies is a lot higher in temperate countries than Singapore.
    huh????

could you explain this point, and quantify it somewhat, instead of just making sweeping statements with little or no basis, as far as i can discern.

Yes, I see your point. To, me there are no right or wrong answers. This kind of topic can be argued to death without much conclusion. Like asking which brand of camera is best. I think at the very best, we can only say it's a difference of opinions.

Just as you mentioned some like singapore after staying here for long, I've also come across my fair share of expatriate colleagues who say they don't like singapore because either of the weather and most commonly, it's too "wholesome" and does not have any "rustic charm". Everything looks too perfect and regulated. All of them have since left singapore to either go back to their countries or work elsewhere. In fact many of them came here cos it's a good base to see the other more interesting parts of SE asia like thailand, cambodia, etc.

I'm not saying singapore has no good places to photograph. But after a while, yeah, TO ME (my opinion), it's boring. Not cos you can't find different angles to shoot from, but it's the same old subject. The chances of you getting better lighting, fantastic skies is a lot higher in temperate countries than Singapore. Of cos there are days where the place looks terrible but not for long. But cos the places are so big, you feel uninhabited. Like I said, if you feel singapore is a joy to shoot, if there are 10 different angles you can take on the MBS or buildings for eg, then there are 1000 or more different angles and subjects you can shoot overseas!

The disadvantage with singapore is its equatorial location, and its tiny size. There is nothing we can change about that.

Hi Kiwi, you from KIWI land, I feel the same.. maybe i because I'm not singaporean. Feel boring when I shoot the same location every week over and over again. But i treat it as practice my skill, just trying to come with different composition, different feeling. Eg bedok reservoir, I can go there shoot ppl jogging, shoot macro, shoot sunrise, sunset, rain, water sports.... over and over .. I can find new direction to shoot, but I feel bored. I went to taiwan last week. Feel so refresh because I got waterfall, mountain, sea, flower field, city scape ... .. .. more more more things to shoot...
    flickr
    ... I'm not a photographer yet.....

Woodlands Waterfront is one of the location worth your time to visit.

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    For me, its not about running out of places to shoot. I just need more time!!!
    Same goes for me

Blog Entries

ust as you mentioned some like singapore after staying here for long, I've also come across my fair share of expatriate colleagues who say they don't like singapore because either of the weather and most commonly, it's too "wholesome" and does not have any "rustic charm". Everything looks too perfect and regulated. All of them have since left singapore to either go back to their countries or work elsewhere. In fact many of them came here cos it's a good base to see the other more interesting parts of SE asia like thailand, cambodia, etc.
    Because a lot of these expats are not that adventurous. They stick to things they feel safe about. And then complain things are so bland. And what do they see the most? pubs, bars, city life... There are some expats in Singapore that are also different, trekking everywhere just to take photos, and producing images of places we have not seen. I've personally seen quite a number in flickr. If they can find those places, why can't we?

An example of amazing photo-taking expats in Singapore here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rags196...7603030514079/

The chances of you getting better lighting, fantastic skies is a lot higher in temperate countries than Singapore. Of cos there are days where the place looks terrible but not for long. But cos the places are so big, you feel uninhabited. Like I said, if you feel singapore is a joy to shoot, if there are 10 different angles you can take on the MBS or buildings for eg, then there are 1000 or more different angles and subjects you can shoot overseas!
    Actually being in a tropical region, we get some of the nicest cloud formations.

I find the equatorial location to be an advantage actually.

Apparently so. My condolences.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 25th November 2010 at 10:31 AM.

too bad, i have seen nicer skies else where and i am comparing this nicer skies with singapore. a good place to compare is Kota Kinabalu.

anyway i have come to a conclusion, in city full of cars and vehicles, its hard to get blue skies (i believe that is the case for the countries u mentioned though i never been to any of them before). i dun get much blue skies in Bangkok too! But outside Bangkok, yes.

countries like i mention Kota Kinabalue, lesser cars and vehicles equates to more blue skies.
    Last edited by sinned79; 25th November 2010 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyfoxy View Post
    Hi Kiwi, you from KIWI land, I feel the same.. maybe i because I'm not singaporean. Feel boring when I shoot the same location every week over and over again. But i treat it as practice my skill, just trying to come with different composition, different feeling. Eg bedok reservoir, I can go there shoot ppl jogging, shoot macro, shoot sunrise, sunset, rain, water sports.... over and over .. I can find new direction to shoot, but I feel bored. I went to taiwan last week. Feel so refresh because I got waterfall, mountain, sea, flower field, city scape ... .. .. more more more things to shoot...
    Yeah, like I said, from a photography point of view, yes, nothing wrong. You can treat it as a practice session. Sometimes, I do that at home too. You can take so many different POV just to test your cam or see things differently.

Taiwan...YEEES! Of cos some will argue, well cos you don't live there so things look fresh and interesting to photograph. Not true. It's just the location and physical size. Common sense will tell you, the bigger the place, naturally you've got more things to photograph.

Note: To the dimwit who counter-argued me above, I won't even bother typing your nick, read my posts carefully again. I say it AGAIN, one man's meat is another man's poison. Don't act like you some policeman and force opinion down on others. I stand by what I said, and I don't waste time trying to counter argue you cos this kind of discussion will have no end with stubborn-heads like you. Have a nice day dude.

Just a point to add on: You are making yourself look silly. Did I not say you can style the model differently? That's exactly what I said! You are obviously not reading carefully. What I am saying is, TO ME (darn it, how many times I have to say this), YES, the model looks different. BUT it's boring cos it's the same model. Geddit? Go get a life. You can photograph yourself, then 24/7, 365/yr. Of cos you look different every day. If that's what you enjoy doing. Oh man, CS....

Yeah, like I said, from a photography point of view, yes, nothing wrong. You can treat it as a practice session. Sometimes, I do that at home too. You can take so many different POV just to test your cam or see things differently.

Taiwan...YEEES! Of cos some will argue, well cos you don't live there so things look fresh and interesting to photograph. Not true. It's just the location and physical size. Common sense will tell you, the bigger the place, naturally you've got more things to photograph.

Note: To the dimwit who counter-argued me above, I won't even bother typing your nick, read my posts carefully again. I say it AGAIN, one man's meat is another man's poison. Don't act like you some policeman and force opinion down on others. I stand by what I said, and I don't waste time trying to counter argue you cos this kind of discussion will have no end with stubborn-heads like you. Have a nice day dude.

Just a point to add on: You are making yourself look silly. Did I not say you can style the model differently? That's exactly what I said! You are obviously not reading carefully. What I am saying is, TO ME (darn it, how many times I have to say this), YES, the model looks different. BUT it's boring cos it's the same model. Geddit? Go get a life. You can photograph yourself, then 24/7, 365/yr. Of cos you look different every day. If that's what you enjoy doing. Oh man, CS....

thanks for making personal attacks, post quoted for reporting to mods.

and there are people who do that, self portraiture nonstop... the only limitation is their creativity, and their lack of willingess to succumb to the easy excuse that they can't do it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larajade/5047449156/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/larajade/4896506800/

lara jade and rosie hardy come to mind.

if you can't see that a subject is multi-fauceted, then i have nothing to say. unless you are saying that your model is one-dimensional in personality... well, that's certainly possible, but no one asked you to choose that particular one-dimensional model.

people are more than just a single concept that you can get so easily bored with. well, at least you can source out the ones who aren't that way.
    Last edited by night86mare; 25th November 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Because a lot of these expats are not that adventurous. They stick to things they feel safe about. And then complain things are so bland. And what do they see the most? pubs, bars, city life... There are some expats in Singapore that are also different, trekking everywhere just to take photos, and producing images of places we have not seen. I've personally seen quite a number in flickr. If they can find those places, why can't we?

Actually being in a tropical region, we get some of the nicest cloud formations.

I find the equatorial location to be an advantage actually.

Apparently so. My condolences.
    Pls stop it. Anything else is speculation. Why can't people accept there are differences in opinions? If a person says he doesn't like durians, why you accuse him of not being adventurous? Do you like to eat dog's meat? I know some Koreans who love it. Do you like eating caterpillars? My ex-expatriate colleagues are not complaining. They just feel that way. Can? Sure, there are other expats who like Singapore. So what? There are those who like and don't like. So?

Actually, in many other countries I've been to, I saw many fantastic cloud formations I don't see here.

I find the non-equatorial countries to be an advantage actually.

Condolences? Why? I don't think so. We just think and feel differently.

Blog Entries

taiwan, what sky? i see haze only.

sg is fine. pick and hunt the right sky, right sea at right time. landscape photography is all abt being in the right place right time. perhaps its the waiting for the right conditions that make landscape even more enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    thanks for making personal attacks, post quoted for reporting to mods.
    oh yeah, call the police now. Somebody's a cry baby... *sigh... why such people here....* Can never learn to accept differences.... Ok get back at me all you want.

*peace to you*

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
    Same goes for me
    it's ok, you can actually sit around on your arse and complain that singapore is boring.

it's a good way to pass time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast