Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    No need to go NATAS fair...just drive north and you have varities of landscapes to shoot. I'm wondering why there are not many Malaysia landscape photos here. Are the locals afraid of going to Malaysia?

I had post many Malaysia landscape photo in CS, some of the old thread as follow:

Danga Bay, J.B.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756105
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754300
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418044
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725700

Fashion Week @ City Plaza J.B.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721986

Old Palace at J.B.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597384

Johor Bahru International Orchid & Bonsai Show 2009

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556835

Kulai, Johor

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490122

K.L.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728727

Above are some of my thread related to Malaysia.

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    my fiancee is also a photographer.

at first she was like you.

she said, "singapore so mundane", then i brought her around a few times, now she agrees that it is perhaps, in some sense, familiar... but by no means mundane, and definitely not exhaustive for landscape shoots.

when we went to paris, we were on the rooftop of tour montparnasse for nearly an hour amidst serious wind.

when we went to bali, we spent the whole day in the sun shooting seascapes, only breaking for rather delightful lunches and enjoying the nights leisurely when the light had died. we walked nearly 2 hours back to our hotel along the beach in the dark because our guide had gone home.

i guess i'm lucky.
    I totally envy you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Not to mention... very the lomantic...
    romantic - probably not, it was pitch black, we had to worry about motorcycles, and well, we weren't in our comfort zone like in singapore.

but it was kinda fun.

wah bro N86M
    u really effort la... i would not have wan to bother to do much "defend" for having so many kind of shoot singapore have.
    it really depend on the one behind the eye piece...

be it there are many similiar shot, but isnt forum about sharing so everyone basically learn and try to replicate the shot and learn from shooting it.

as much as i wan, i would wan to do a search at what kind of angle or where others have shoot from then try to go there and take and experience it myself.

shoot more is the word

sorry to TS if i am frank.

Hi Candycaine,

I have mentioned the following in my previous post:

Maybe I should start this thread at the kopitiam talk session.....
    I opened this thread not seeking for serious debate but rather sharing our thoughts. My purpose is to question whether Singapore has limited landscape to shoot or the people in Singapore have limited creativity to shoot. What triggered the question are those many very identical local landscape photos I have seen in this forum for the past few months.

Personally I seldom shoot landscapes but I like to view landscape photos on Flickr.com and Clubsnap. Due to the large number of identical landscape photos posted in Clubsnap, I started this thread to share my thoughts. If I were to shoot landscapes, I will try to shoot different perspective like the 1st photo(the passing train). It's indeed a very good shoot.

Hmm. Sharing thoughts and serious debate.. you realise you can't really seperate the 2.
    Olympian

Not really expensive. I've discovered that some areas in Malaysia have very good landscape to shoot, like Malacca, Mount Kinabalu, Sekinchan padi field, Ipoh old town etc. Not to mention Indonesia, I believe there are more places to shoot there too.
    for me, i have not even finish all of sg landscape.. i have not even shoot sungnei reserve.. so i will finish these first...

anyway to add creativity is black and white... another one is long exposure... with these 2, u can make even those familiar scenes into something interesting..

just some suggestions...

Have you seen people shot this before?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...&postcount=561

A long walk before they got to the view.
    may i know where is this place? tks alot in adv

WK... when you free? I bring you to this new place.. not sure nice.. but got potential..

a lot of mozzies though... need to bring insect repellant... I think Bryan also wants to go...
    hi dd123

do u mind to share with me this new place also?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    for me, i have not even finish all of sg landscape.. i have not even shoot sungnei reserve.. so i will finish these first...

anyway to add creativity is black and white... another one is long exposure... with these 2, u can make even those familiar scenes into something interesting..

just some suggestions...
    There is a lot more to creativity than B&W and LE....

Blog Entries

may i know where is this place? tks alot in adv
    hi dd123

do u mind to share with me this new place also?
    Sorry. I am not at liberty to say for now. Not yet.

WK... when you free? I bring you to this new place.. not sure nice.. but got potential..

a lot of mozzies though... need to bring insect repellant... I think Bryan also wants to go...
    Wah bro Albert where where? I want to tag along also!
    I've been to one place and oh man! My exposed legs and arms were covered with mozzie!! I didn't venture further in though because of that and because I was alone..scared hehe

There are still a lot...

Take a look at r00kie's pictures also. He and Draken both walk and cycle hours to get to places most people would not even think of doing. They just kept exploring, and kept shooting. Recently they stumbled on some very very interesting landscapes. No one else have shot those yet.

Sad to say I do most of the walking while Draken cycles a lot..so most of the times I'll be left behind in the 'exploraton'. Yes we do 'play' with mud and water a lot, sometimes dangerously, just to capture something a bit different and maybe unique to the rest. And all this I learnt from Draken.

Singapore has still so much to offer. Maybe it's repetitive because Singapore is small, but I feel that's where the challenge is, to capture something new in terms of perspective and composition..and oh the tide always brings with it new surprises every now and then

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by r00ki3 View Post
    Wah bro Albert where where? I want to tag along also!
    I've been to one place and oh man! My exposed legs and arms were covered with mozzie!! I didn't venture further in though because of that and because I was alone..scared hehe
    Will let you know bro... most likely you have been there... LOL.

I started this thread because I notice that there are a lot of similar Singapore landscape photos posted in this forum, like rocks, reservoirs, bridges, lone tree and MBS.
    Some are even identical in terms of angle, colour and timing shot by different people. Every year when we browse the gallery, I think we can see the same photos shot by different people or same people again and again, which make the photos no longer interesting. Now when I view the landscape photos shot oversea, although they are not perfectly shot or PP, they are more interesting and fresh. Do you feel the same too? Or maybe just me...
    To answer your thread title.. no. Similar photos from same or different angles..yes which I find it useful for reference and to learn on composition. SG still has plenty of interesting places from an angle yet to be discovered. I shoot and return to shoot again another day or month after re-thinking how I can improve, the composition, exposure etc.

I am not exactly a person with a keen eye but im learning.

Thanks for sharing. The Danga Bay looks good and it is very near to Singapore. Will definitely go there to take a spin.

Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Glad to know that people here are still positive about the landscape shooting in Singapore and also some people are going further to dig out the unknown places, different angles and perspectives. Hopefully we can see more lanscape photos in this forum with very different way of compositions and presentations in the coming days, months and years.
    Besides playing gears and shooting nice photos, viewing nice and unique photos from other people is also part of the joy in photography. Keep it up!
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

There are still lots of uncovered places. Many ppl just go for the easily accessible ones. Even with the same place, there are different angles, lighting (sunrise will always not be the same), spots to shoot from of the same thing.

I try to cover a bit of Lower Seletar by bicycle on Sunday mornings if time allows, and I've not even scratched the surface.

Some spots in Lwr Seletar that most ppl don't cover

If we consider that folks overseas drive an hour to reach scenic locations, then we can include Malaysia, Bintan, Batam as well.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 25th November 2010 at 09:08 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    There are still lots of uncovered places. Many ppl just go for the easily accessible ones. Even with the same place, there are different angles, lighting (sunrise will always not be the same), spots to shoot from of the same thing.

I try to cover a bit of Lower Seletar by bicycle on Sunday mornings if time allows, and I've not even scratched the surface.

Some spots in Lwr Seletar that most ppl don't cover
    Yup... I got a few there too.. from a different angle... TS, see what a little change in angle will do?

Last edited by daredevil123; 25th November 2010 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks for sharing. The Danga Bay looks good and it is very near to Singapore. Will definitely go there to take a spin.

Nice to know the information help.

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Blog Entries

And how about MBS? Everyone must be sick of it now eh? Just that same 3 towers... but do you know how many angles you capture that building? and it feels fresh every time.. Here are some I shot.. only a small fraction of what is possible...

Last edited by daredevil123; 25th November 2010 at 09:43 AM.

I started this thread because I notice that there are a lot of similar Singapore landscape photos posted in this forum, like rocks, reservoirs, bridges, lone tree and MBS.
    Some are even identical in terms of angle, colour and timing shot by different people. Every year when we browse the gallery, I think we can see the same photos shot by different people or same people again and again, which make the photos no longer interesting. Now when I view the landscape photos shot oversea, although they are not perfectly shot or PP, they are more interesting and fresh. Do you feel the same too? Or maybe just me...
    Good observation! Yes, I totally agree with this statement!

I know the patriotic ones will say, Stop complaining or find excuses. There are lots of gems out there. As a photographer you have to seek them out.

My counter-argument is, sure, you can find different angles. Interesting change in your camera composition. But at the end of the day, who you kidding? The subject is the same.

Think of it this way. You can shoot the same professional model 100 times. If she is experienced enough, she will give you 100 different poses. And with different clothes, hairstyle and make-up, definitely your 100 shots will look fresh and different. BUT! Who are you kidding? It's the same model! I don't know about you, after a while, I find it hard to deceive myself it's not boring.

Of cos, from photography point of view, you can argue you will have infinitely different ways to photograph the scene or people. So coming back to the Singapore landscape issue, all I can say is, sure, you can go back to the same friggin' place and photograph the CBD buildings, NDP, beach scenes, reservoirs 1 million times at different times of the day, different occasions, etc etc. Sure, they look different. Sure, from photography point of view you seem to be competent. But really, do you get bored? I do!

And another thing is, at the risk of sounding whiny, I hate the weather here. The high humidity and heat put me off. No, I'm no couch potato. I've taken shots outdoors but more of that in the past. These days, hardly, unless if I have the mood, due to the weather and as mentioned earlier, the boring landscapes here.

Another issue is the darn sky. Usually it's boring white. Nice blue skies are rare. Ok, sure there are. Sure, people here will start posting their blue sky shots after I say this. I'm not saying there are no blue skies, but it's relative. I've been traveling quite a bit and if you compare singapore to many other countries (don't even have to be exotic), if singapore is interesting and has many places to shoot as some may argue,then I think I am fair to say in overseas countries, it's orgasmic (sorry can't find a better word!) to shoot and you won't finish shooting in your entire lifetime!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast